Rockin a PIII 667 Mhz with 256MB PC133 ram here now :(

Forum for general hardware discussions. If you don't know, where your question belongs, it is the right place to go.

Moderators: CPUagnostic, MTX, Celt, Hammer_Time, Sauron_Daz, Tacitus, Anna

Rockin a PIII 667 Mhz with 256MB PC133 ram here now :(

Postby Hammer_Time » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:20 am

Hey All,

So my used Asus P5KC motherboard ( P35 chipset, paid $50 used for it ) worked fine for 2 months here, then completely died on me yesterday...it shut itself off for no reason.. when I turned it back on I noticed the cpu fan would not spin at all...the case fans spun but when the cpu fan does not spin very bad sign. I tested the cpu fan in another computer and there was nothing wrong with it... the motherboard was failing to provide any power to the fan and the board will not post at all anymore...I unplugged the power supply and removed the mobo battery for half an hour to clear out all settings and remove cpu overclock, plus jumpered the CLR_CMOS pins to clear the cmos/bios settings multiple times, still did not help, still no post ( boot )...

It is not my 3 year old Antec Earthwatts 650W psu, that is tested and working perfectly...problem is the mobo, nothing else here...

I guess that $50 used Asus mobo was on its last legs when I bought it, the board was 6 years old after all ... damn, was hoping to get a bit more life out of it though...2 months...sigh...I had a mild overclock on the cpu ( from stock 2.67 Ghz to 3.35 Ghz , cpu max temp never exceeded 50C with OCZ Vendetta 2 cooler on it , cpu voltage was managed by Intel Speedstep and most of the time the cpu downclocked to 2.5 Ghz @ 1.1 cpu volts, under full load it was 1.21 volts @ 3.35 Ghz as measured by CoreTemp utility ). So I did not push it that hard and it only ran full tilt during gaming...in retrospect I would not have overclocked the cpu at all if I could have predicted this would happen, but the board was reviewed to be an excellent overclocker, it had nice large copper pipe heatsinks to cool the northbridge and VRMs on the board, it was built to be overclocked ( Intel P35 performance chipset ) so this surprised me. I think the board was just very old and about to die anyways, I just finished it off...Doh!! The overclock may or may not have been a factor here... if anything the overclock would have simply speeded up the inevitable anyways...no more used boards for me...only new...

So in desperation ( no other laptop or computer available to me here right now ) I hauled out an old IBM Pentium 4 box I had laying around but it refused to boot at all too...had raped parts out of it in the past so not surprised...

I just wanted something to be able to surf with and check emails until I can buy another new Gigabyte G41 chipset Socket 775 mobo from CC like I did before ( the last one I bought from there lasted me 1.5 years but I didn't realize the northbridge heatsink overheats on them ( design flaw ) , so next time I will put a small cpu fan on the northbridge so the mobo will last much longer then ). However all G41 chipsets have this design flaw, and it is the only new S775 mobo option left on the market these days... cheap $60 mobos.. you get what you pay for... I cannot afford a new $200 cpu and new $100 mobo right now so will get another cheap G41 board until I can save up enough for new Ivy Bridge cpu and mobo...

So sitting here wondering how to get online, then I remembered that a neighbour had given me his old Pentium 3 667 Mhz cpu with matching old mobo, so I hauled that outta my closet and put the 256 MB PC 133 ram stick in it, plugged in the IBM P4 systems 100 watt power supply into it, added old Radeon AGP vidcard, and a PCI network card ( no onboard video or NIC on this old mobo ) with Maxtor Slimline 40GB 5400rpm drive ( ugh!!! but at least it already had XP loaded on it and I didnt have to sacrifice one of my good 7200rpm drives out of my main box and lose data etc formatting it for Windows) and it booted right up for me!! So I am typing this post on this frankenstein of a system right now, Windows XP of course.. it is actually not too bad considering how old it is, I have no sound ( no onboard audio and no old pci sound card laying around but don't care, this is a very temporary solution until I get a new Socket 775 board from CC for my Q9400 quadcore cpu. ).

Running latest Google Chrome browser and it actually works okay...surfing is bearable, of course a little slower than what I am used to, but am kinda shocked at how fast web pages actually load on this old beast of machine...

I should run Futuremark's "Peacekeeper" browser benchmark on this thing just for laughs right now, but am not sure it would even "complete" the benchmark successfully... :lol:

Ah well, at least I am online and can surf and email for the time being... :D

Edit: Just run Peacekeeper benchmark, it actually finished it!! Score: 347!!! :twisted: :lol:

( last time I ran Peacekeeper score on my Q9400 a month or two ago I was getting around 3000 score!!! :P )
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Re: Rockin a PIII 667 Mhz with 256MB PC133 ram here now :(

Postby Fuzz » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:31 am

I know you say you tested the PS, but I'd suggest trying another power supply with the board. I've had 3 machines with Asus MB's and Antec power supplies do the exact same thing. A new power supply brought them back to life.
It's not the penguins I hate, so much as the idea of penguins.
“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.” - Stephen Hawking
Fuzz
X-bit Penguin Hater

Postby Hammer_Time » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:01 pm

Okay Fuzz will do! I don't have high hopes but will still try one last ditch effort. I don't have another suitably strong psu laying around here to test with atm, so will drag my tower to the local pc shop just down the street... they were the ones to upgrade the BIOS on my mobo so it would even recognize my Q9400 cpu ( board still had original 2008 bios revision on it, which only recognized C2Duo dual core cpus, would not boot till they stuck their own C2D cpu in it and flashed the bios to latest version for me for a few bucks... ). So I will see if your theory is correct before shelling out for a new mobo here...thanks!
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:10 am

Hammer_Time wrote:So sitting here wondering how to get online, then I remembered that a neighbour had given me his old Pentium 3 667 Mhz cpu with matching old mobo, so I hauled that outta my closet and put the 256 MB PC 133 ram stick in it, plugged in the IBM P4 systems 100 watt power supply into it, added old Radeon AGP vidcard, and a PCI network card ( no onboard video or NIC on this old mobo ) with Maxtor Slimline 40GB 5400rpm drive ( ugh!!! but at least it already had XP loaded on it and I didnt have to sacrifice one my good 7200rpm drives out of my main box an lose data etc formatting it ) and it booted right up for me!! So I am typing this post on this frankenstein of a system right now, Windows XP of course.. it is actually not too bad considering how old it is, I have no sound ( no onboard audio and no old pci sound card laying around but don't care, this is a very temporary solution until I get a new Socket 775 board from CC for my Q9400 quadcore cpu. ).

Back to the future.....
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:11 am

Fuzz wrote:I know you say you tested the PS, but I'd suggest trying another power supply with the board. I've had 3 machines with Asus MB's and Antec power supplies do the exact same thing. A new power supply brought them back to life.

Hammer_Time wrote:Okay Fuzz will do! I don't have high hopes but will still try one last ditch effort. I don't have another suitably strong psu laying around here to test with atm, so will drag my tower to the local pc shop just down the street... they were the ones to upgrade the BIOS on my mobo so it would even recognize my Q9400 cpu ( board still had original 2008 bios revision on it, which only recognized C2Duo dual core cpus, would not boot till they stuck their own C2D cpu in it and flashed the bios to latest version for me for a few bucks... ). So I will see if your theory is correct before shelling out for a new mobo here...thanks!

Keeping fingers crossed..
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:19 am

Sauron_Daz wrote:
Hammer_Time wrote:So sitting here wondering how to get online, then I remembered that a neighbour had given me his old Pentium 3 667 Mhz cpu with matching old mobo, so I hauled that outta my closet and put the 256 MB PC 133 ram stick in it, plugged in the IBM P4 systems 100 watt power supply into it, added old Radeon AGP vidcard, and a PCI network card ( no onboard video or NIC on this old mobo ) with Maxtor Slimline 40GB 5400rpm drive ( ugh!!! but at least it already had XP loaded on it and I didnt have to sacrifice one my good 7200rpm drives out of my main box an lose data etc formatting it ) and it booted right up for me!! So I am typing this post on this frankenstein of a system right now, Windows XP of course.. it is actually not too bad considering how old it is, I have no sound ( no onboard audio and no old pci sound card laying around but don't care, this is a very temporary solution until I get a new Socket 775 board from CC for my Q9400 quadcore cpu. ).

Back to the future.....

Jealousy will get you nowhere, my evil massssster!! :wink: :twisted: :lol:

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:20 am

Sauron_Daz wrote:
Fuzz wrote:I know you say you tested the PS, but I'd suggest trying another power supply with the board. I've had 3 machines with Asus MB's and Antec power supplies do the exact same thing. A new power supply brought them back to life.

Hammer_Time wrote:Okay Fuzz will do! I don't have high hopes but will still try one last ditch effort. I don't have another suitably strong psu laying around here to test with atm, so will drag my tower to the local pc shop just down the street... they were the ones to upgrade the BIOS on my mobo so it would even recognize my Q9400 cpu ( board still had original 2008 bios revision on it, which only recognized C2Duo dual core cpus, would not boot till they stuck their own C2D cpu in it and flashed the bios to latest version for me for a few bucks... ). So I will see if your theory is correct before shelling out for a new mobo here...thanks!

Keeping fingers crossed..

Thanks!! And now that I have had more time to ponder the situation, Fuzz might be right here, what has happened could very well be the result of a failing psu... its either mobo or psu, so better find out which "for sure" first before throwing money at the problem and "fixing" the wrong component here... :?

This old Asus Socket 370 mobo only has two USB ports , both used by my mouse and kbd currently, else I would plug in my USB webcam and snap a rig of this frankenstein rig for your amusement!!

This is not my pic, but amusing nonetheless:

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:17 am

:shock:

What happened to that poor thing..
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:56 am

nothing good! :lol:

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:39 am

Maybe it tried to commit suicide..
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:38 am

:lol:

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:11 am

Did you already try the board with that PSU?
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:18 pm

Good news!! Just got my computer home and plugged it in, it would not boot, same as before...

The shop guy said all he did was unhook my hard drives and it booted..so he plugged them back in and it is all working he said. I remember that the new Sandisk Readycache 32 GB SSD cache drive I put in 2 months ago has a SATA power connector ( those are not "firm" to plug in like the regular 4-pin Molex power connectors on my other 3 hard drives, very loose-fitting connector by design ), so I unplugged the power connector to my SSD to test and guess what?? System booted right up no probs...

So I firmly plugged the powerconnector back in to my SSD and all is fine now..

I guess the walk home with the tower jiggled that SSD SATA power connector loose again so that is why it did not boot first time I plugged it in...

Whew, so mobo and psu are fine, cost me $22.60 to find out what was wrong... could have done it myself but it never occurred to me that a power connector should come loose on my SSD drive when the tower just sits there all the time ( I never move it ).. I guess desk vibrations must have caused it to loosen before... ( my small subwoofer sits on my desk as a monitor stand )

SATA power connectors suck, 4 pin molex power connectors are very "snug" and can never come loose, but a SATA power connector can slide off so easily, I hate them...

At least I know how to quickly fix this ( electrical tape around connector ) now...

What a relief, now I can get back to playing FarCry 3 game here!! :)

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:15 pm

Lol... NEVER forget the one basic thing when ever there are problems with a computer, CHECK THE CABLES the first thing you do!!!

:mrgreen:
This has been an objective and completely impartial message from the propaganda bureau of DIREWOLF75. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Location: Isthmus of Baldur (modernly known as Bollnäs), Sweden

Postby Fuzz » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:24 pm

Good news! Always strip down to bare bones and try a boot, before writing something off! I've had CPU's, ram, PCI cards, all loose and cause issues. Never heard of a loose HD power connector causing issues before, but hey, we all get to have our strange ones!
It's not the penguins I hate, so much as the idea of penguins.
“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.” - Stephen Hawking
Fuzz
X-bit Penguin Hater

Postby Sauron_Daz » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:46 am

Hammer_Time wrote:Good news!! Just got my computer home and plugged it in, it would not boot, same as before...

The shop guy said all he did was unhook my hard drives and it booted..so he plugged them back in and it is all working he said. I remember that the new Sandisk Readycache 32 GB SSD cache drive I put in 2 months ago has a SATA power connector ( those are not "firm" to plug in like the regular 4-pin Molex power connectors on my other 3 hard drives, very loose-fitting connector by design ), so I unplugged the power connector to my SSD to test and guess what?? System booted right up no probs...

So I firmly plugged the powerconnector back in to my SSD and all is fine now..

:D
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:45 am

Yeah, check the cables... CHECK THE CABLES!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:45 am

Question remains: why would it not boot with a somewhat loose powerconnection to that SSD drive?
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:24 am

Dunno, but it is what it is...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:56 am

Sauron_Daz wrote:Question remains: why would it not boot with a somewhat loose powerconnection to that SSD drive?

Probably getting partial connection with it, so BIOS tries to get ID, fails and stuck in a loop. My guess at least.
This has been an objective and completely impartial message from the propaganda bureau of DIREWOLF75. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Location: Isthmus of Baldur (modernly known as Bollnäs), Sweden

Next

Return to General Hardware Forum