Stop getting gouged for internet monthly overusage fees! :)

Do you have anything to add to our daily newswire? Then comment on our news and post your news story here!

Moderators: CPUagnostic, MTX, Celt, Hammer_Time, Sauron_Daz, Tacitus, Anna

Stop getting gouged for internet monthly overusage fees! :)

Postby Hammer_Time » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:45 pm

I just got an email from Rogers notifying me that my monthly bill is ready... so I looked at it and it is $50 more than I expected.. ( $325 total !! - Rogers home phone, VIP cable tv, hispeed internet package - normally my bill is just over $200 if I keep under the 95GB monthly cap dl/ul limit... ) so I looked at the details of the bill and discovered that they JACKED THE MAXIMUM MONTHLY OVERUSAGE FEE CHARGE FROM $50/mo to $100/mo RETROACTIVELY BACK TO Nov. 24 2012!!! I did not receive any warning from them that they were going to DOUBLE this fee... I want to write expletives here but will refrain, instead I am calling Rogers right now to CANCEL my service.

Update:

I just spoke to a Rogers manager and she knocked the extra $50 off my plan as I was not properly notified about this new increase in overusage max. fee....

When I threatened to cancel my plan due to these outrageous and unjustified monthly overusage fees, she said there is a "special plan that is not available to the public, it is a "retention plan" only offered to those customers who are threatening to switch isp's" ( she did not say that last part at first, I had to wheedle it out of her ).

Here is my current plan:

Rogers Xtreme 30 Mbps down / 1 Mbps up, 95 GB monthly download/upload cap, $1.50 per GB overusage fee to a max. of $100 ( used to be $50! ) per month. Plan costs $61.99 per month.

Cable modem rental fee is $4/mo

Here is the secret "Customer Retention Plan" . It is simply their slower "Express Plan" but with a 300 GB per month cap!! So you can upload/download up to 300 GB per month with ZERO overusage fees ( unless you go over the 300 GB limit of course, which is something I will never do, 300 GB is plenty for my needs ). This plan costs just $10 more per month - $71.99 per month ( plus $4/mo cable modem rental fee of course ).

She activated this new plan for me immediately.

I just used this site to bandwidth speed test my connection:

http://speakeasy.net/speedtest/

( New York server chosen for testing )

BTW I live in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada

My new dl speed is measured at 15 Mbps down, and 0.40 Mbps up...Edit // just retested at 3am last nite and got 19 Mbps down, 0.50 Mbps up, so slightly faster in the dead of night...End Edit // - this is half of what I was getting before, but it is still more than "fast enough". Web pages still load instantly for me, everything works good, just torrented a file and it comes in at same speed as before ( over 1 MBps or 1000 KBps , that is Bytes, not bits to clarify... ) so that is not throttled at all.... very happy!! The 300 GB per month is what I really care about, and it stopped me from switching to another ISP ( I was about to till I found out about this "Secret Retention Plan" that is not available to the general public lmao.. I am making every effort to make sure this plan becomes "Public" so other people can stop getting screwed with overusage fees!! I don't know if other ISP's such as Bell also offer a similar sort of "Secret Rentention Plan" but I am willing to bet they must, to keep customers...call your ISP if you have high overusage fees and find out!! I am glad I did!! ). :D

I have created a petition to end Overusage Fees ( or at least make them "Fair and Reasonable" ) for ALL internet customers!! :

http://www.avaaz.org/en/petition/Stop_R ... FwFbb&pv=0

Please sign that petition, thank you. ( btw, it is meant for ALL ISP's that charge monthly overusage fees, not just Rogers located here in Canada ).
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Re: Stop getting gouged for internet monthly overusage fees! :)

Postby Silver » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:09 am

So there isnt any competition that has flatrate as an option ?

I mean 300GB is fairly good.. im probably under that, but still flatrate is a nice thing.
I belive I pay about $85 in USD.. for VDSL 200Mbit downstream (in theory, probably a bit slower).

But we have had flatrate here since 1997-98 or somesuch when ADSL replaced dialup.
only wireless/mobile plans have limits. I belive my dad started watching tv-shows from wireless and that internet just shut down. :lol:
Specs:

Intel Core i7 4930K, Kingston 32GB
ASUS GeForce GTX 770 4GB, ASUS P9X79

Aiming for impossible goals forces thinking beyond mere extrapolation of existing achievements.
Silver
X-bit Guru

Postby Stupify » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:25 am

Ah welcome to the world of Retention plans... this is not something new, it has been there for eons. Let me blow your brains away by telling you my retention cell phone plan:
250 minutes day time + unl eve/wknd
unl incoming
unl rogers to rogers (this i had to give up recently after 3-4 years)
100 cdn long distance
unl text msgs
call display, voicemail

i used to pay $21+taxes/month. just recently i had to give up r2r and pay more ($27+taxes/month). even then it is next to impossible to beat that plan.

given that you just found out about retention plans, you probably don't know about RedFlagDeals.com site and their Hot Deals forum. Visit it regularly in my suggestion. it has saved me a bundle on many things and i still search that site before buying or signing up for anything.
What goes around comes around with interest!
Stupify

Postby Hammer_Time » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:09 am

Silver wrote:So there isnt any competition that has flatrate as an option ?

I mean 300GB is fairly good.. im probably under that, but still flatrate is a nice thing.
I belive I pay about $85 in USD.. for VDSL 200Mbit downstream (in theory, probably a bit slower).

But we have had flatrate here since 1997-98 or somesuch when ADSL replaced dialup.
only wireless/mobile plans have limits. I belive my dad started watching tv-shows from wireless and that internet just shut down. :lol:

Yes, we have a thread going on about it here:

http://www.facebook.com/openmedia.ca

The only competition I could find in my area is Teksavvy that now does Cable internet as well as DSL ( years ago they only resold Bell ADSL over phone lines, no cable option until recently ( they resell Rogers cable ) ).

So their 28 Unlimited plan ( 28 Mbps down, 1.0 Mbps up ) with UNLIMITED download/upload , no overusage fees at all with this plan, for $61.95 per month. They offer the same plan with a 300 GB monthly cap for just $46.95 per month. They don't rent cable modems ( that I am aware of ) so you can use your own or they will sell you one for $110 ( includes shipping fee )... if you buy one of theirs they knock $20 off the mandatory $65 activation fee, so just $45 plus the modem cost up front.... over the long run this is a very good deal, however, I found out they are not the most reliable service out there, they were down for a day in Kitchener ( where I live ) last November:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r277651 ... 2012-18H25

And also down for quite a while back in July of last year too:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r273139 ... is-morning

Those are two major outages in less than 6 months time...

Obviously Rogers looks after its own networks first, then its "resellers" such as Teksavvy above, who are the mercy of Rogers fixing any major issues for them...the one thing about Rogers, is that it is very reliable, there have been very very few outages here over the years, and they are usually resolved within a few hours time... so I am scared to switch to cheaper ISP and then have to put up with outages , I would rather stick with Rogers and let them rip me off cuz at least they are rock solid reliable ( in my area at least ).
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:13 am

Stupify wrote:Ah welcome to the world of Retention plans... this is not something new, it has been there for eons. Let me blow your brains away by telling you my retention cell phone plan:
unl incoming
100 cdn long distance
unl text msgs
call display, voicemail

So you don't use a smartphone? (No data plan)
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:19 am

Stupify wrote:Ah welcome to the world of Retention plans... this is not something new, it has been there for eons. Let me blow your brains away by telling you my retention cell phone plan:
unl incoming
100 cdn long distance
unl text msgs
call display, voicemail

i used to pay $21+taxes/month. just recently i had to give up r2r and pay more ($27+taxes/month). even then it is next to impossible to beat that plan.

given that you just found out about retention plans, you probably don't know about RedFlagDeals.com site and their Hot Deals forum. Visit it regularly in my suggestion. it has saved me a bundle on many things and i still search that site before buying or signing up for anything.

Wow, that is a GOOD deal Stupe!! Glad you were able to squeeze such a great deal out of the thieves, lol!! Thanks for sharing the details, very impressive! 8)

However, my plan will blow you into the next dimension, I pay ZERO for my cell phone plan!!!! ( I have no cell phone! ) :twisted: :incoming: :lol: I have no need for a cellphone and just use my Rogers Home Phone... I do play around on my friends smartphones and at various stores that sell them and have working demos on display so I am slightly familiar with how the latest smartphones work and what they can do...if Canada ever gets its cell phone market sorted out properly with fair pricing for all I might consider getting one someday...your plan sounds pretty good, doubt I could get it as a "new customer" though right? Only retention plans for existing customers...not new ones... however this info is still very useful to know!! 8)

BTW, this is great info for Silver too who has an interest:

This is OpenMedia.ca's FB recent reply to my post about getting jacked on Roger's overusage fees ( what is stated in the OP above ):

Hi XXX XXXXXXXX, thanks for sharing your story with us - what an undertaking! Glad to see your situation improved for you, though very unfortunate that such a service and helpfulness wasn't provided until you threatened to cancel your service. In a related matter, the CRTC is having a hearing on February 11 for a national code of conduct for cell phone companies, but what would you like to see in a national code of conduct if they created one for Internet service providers? Interested to hear everyone's thoughts on this!

YES!!! Oh by the Gods, YESSSSSSSSS!!! What a wonderful idea, a National Code of Conduct for Cellphone Companies, and also for ISPs too!!! This has been badly needed in Canada ( and globally for that matter , but especially in North America where we pay some of the highest rates for the crappiest service, and then get gouged with unnecessary, unethical, immoral, corporate greed Overusage Fees!!!! :evil: :fist: :fist: :cry: :cry: :roll: ) for many years now, and the rest of the world in general too!!

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:15 am

Fortunatly no overusage fee here, just a 'fair use' policy.
I changed my connectionplan from 25/2 mbps to 35/3.5 mbps and VoIP (which I don't use) and the same TV channels (a lot of those are HD channels), received a free HDTV tuner and this plan reduced my monthly fee by almost 9 Euro's.
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Celt » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:08 pm

I pay around £25 per month for 15Mbps and no usage cap . . . . ok there is a fair usage policy (dso if i download a couple of terabytes a month for the next two months I get a letter pointyintg out how selfish I am - never happened) - if I add up my TV etc. i pay around £65 per month total . . .

Come to the UK - sure we suck at clearing snow, but we do queueing, bre good beer, speak english, and hate the French
You don't have to be a megalomaniac to moderate this forum . . . but it helps!
1123.6536.5321 - More than a number, it's our home!
Celt
SpamCrusher Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:52 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sounds good! Although I dunno if I can afford to pay your hw prices over there! :P

Yes, the Brits do brew good beer over there...Boddingtons...Double Diamond...etc... mmmm tasty!! :licks: :D

Great poster for alcoholism lol... it is devilishly tasty though, at least to my palate... :licks: :D

Internet is working fine here so far on the new plan, still fast for surfing and torrents work good as expected. 8)

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:24 am

Celt wrote:Come to the UK - sure we suck at clearing snow, but we do queueing, bre good beer, speak english, and hate the French

:lol: :lol:
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Stupify » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:39 am

Sauron_Daz wrote:
unl incoming
100 cdn long distance
unl text msgs
call display, voicemail

So you don't use a smartphone? (No data plan)

my wife uses that plan now, i have my company's crackberry. data is not a must yet but in this day and age voice is very valuable.
What goes around comes around with interest!
Stupify

Postby TAViX » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:57 am

I wont say anything about me paying ~30$/month for 100/100+tv+phone, with no bloody caps or anything so retarded. And this is getting standard plan in most countries in Europe and Asia. Never understood why N. America is lagging so much on Internet infrastructure...
TAViX
X-Bit Gundarm

Postby Hammer_Time » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:59 am

I agree, but you have to remember you live in the electronics center of the world, Japan is very dense and you have Fiber everywhere there ( for years now ).

USA and Canada are much less densely populated with many rural areas having no broadband internet whatsoever ( only satellite or dialup as options ).

Plus it is PURE CORPORATE GREED with our Telecom monopolies ( here in Canada especially!! ) that have Lobby/SPIRG special interest groups that use millions of dollars every year to influence our corrupt politicians and CRTC board members...so they get to "shape" policy here, to their advantage, always... and screw the customer as hard as they can? Why should they waste money investing in upgrading their equipment and service, when they can just keep on charging us MORE for LESS service... that is what monopolies do unfortunately...

That is why we are so far behind the world when it comes to internet service and pricing... shit, even South Korea kicks our ass when it comes to internet service/pricing as shown in a recent global study....pathetic... we are supposed to be a "technology leader" here in Kitchener-Waterloo , yet our internet is third-world for the most part... all due to corporate greed, monopolies, and corrupt politicians...

http://www2.macleans.ca/2012/09/18/cana ... et-access/

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:42 am

TAViX wrote:I wont say anything about me paying ~30$/month for 100/100+tv+phone, with no bloody caps or anything so retarded.

Yet you did :mrgreen: :wink: :twisted:
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:34 am

I have a new THEME SONG for my fight for fair, open internet here in Canada ( fight the Bell/Rogers/Shaw Duopoly ) ! :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xmckWVPRaI

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby <R.t..>^>Fusionc » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:06 am

I am currently on a bundle for my ISP (delta cable) for phone, internet and TV and the bill is around $150 ish a month. As for internet access, 40 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up, no cap when the internet plan is bundled.

I currently average more or less 1TB a month (har har har) according to some Bandwidth monitoring tool that I have running on my PC; the usage tool for my ISP is disables for those on an unlimited plan. So almost no internet plan with any sort of cap would satisfy my internet usage lol.

This reminds of a video explaining why Internet caps sucks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyuIiG4c4Go
I play games, not benchmarks. So all you fanboys/fangirls, just STFU!!
"I close my eyes, to escape the seas of reality... I dive deep into the ocean depths of my mind..."
<R.t..>^>Fusionc
X-bit Guru

Postby Hammer_Time » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:05 pm

Not bad RT, not bad... could be better ( cheaper ) when compared to the rest of the world ( Europe, Asia/Japan etc. ) but still you pay less than I do...

We have a huge discussion about this going on over at OpenMedia.ca's FB page, here is what one dude just posted today about Bell and their "secret retention plan" lmao! :

http://www.facebook.com/openmedia.ca

Nicholas XXXXXXX

Just Dug into The New Bell Unlimited Internet Plan to see how it pairs up with Independent ISP Service just stand alone service without a bundle and heres what i found out:

Francesca: Hello, thanks for visiting bell.ca. How can I help you today?

Nick: Hi, I was looking at the new Unlimited Internet Usage plan and wanted to know more about it

Francesca: Sure, I can help you with that.

Francesca: Just wondering, may I know the services you have with Bell at present?

Nick: I was wondering what was needed to get it, I dont have any bell services right now (AND NEVER WILL!)

Francesca: I welcome you to the Bell services. (Yeah, Too Bad Im not signing up)

Francesca: Generally customer can add unlimited Internet for $30 /mo with DSL or fibe Internet service.

(An EXTRA $30 ON TOP OF YOUR $100 Bill?)

Francesca: May I know the Postal code, city, street number and street name to check for service availability?
(Sure, Lets Sign me up for something i dont want anyway!)

Nick: Is it available on its own or do i need to get a bundle

Francesca: Let me check that information for you. Please give me a moment.

Francesca: Bell Fibe Internet 5/1 Internet service available for you. (HA I Get 6 Mbps with Distributel!)

Francesca: Fibe Internet 5/1 package offers:

Francesca: • Download speeds of 5 Mbps (TRUE FIBRE OPTIC SPEED Eh?) :twisted:

Francesca: • Upload speeds of up to 1 Mbps

Francesca: • 20 GB of bandwidth usage per month

Francesca: • Wireless Home Networking included
(WOW! So Innovative, Like I dont that already Without the CAP!)

Nick: Is Unlimited available there?

Francesca: Regular Price: $43.95/mo. (THAT DOESNT INCLUDE THE CAP!)

Francesca: Special offer: You will get $10/mo. off for first 6 months.

Francesca: So, $33.95 +taxs /mo for first 6 months ,thereafter $43.95 +taxes /mo.

Francesca: On top of this you can add Unlimited Internet for $30 /mo.

Francesca: So, $33.95 + $30 = $63.95 +taxes /mo for first 6 months (WOW, After It $93!+ TAX!)

Nick: Just on its own or in a bundle? (Really Gotta Know if it is right?)

Francesca: Free installation (Like Im that braindead to not know how to plug in the modem into a phone jack?), No contract (Thats a First), $49.95 one time activation fee (Wow, I should be getting Free With Those EXTRA $30 id be throwing at You each month), and Free wireless modem (HA Got a BELKIN ROUTER RIGHT HERE!)

Francesca: That was for Just Internet service.(AND YOUR SOUL PLEASE!)

Nick: Ok, Thats sounds like a good deal, Thanks for your help, Ill have to look at my options, thanks for your help (NOT REALLY JUST WANTED TO WASTE YOUR TIME DISCOVERING THAT IT IS POSSIBLE TO GIVE CANADIANS WHAT THEY WANT AND STILL F*** THERE WALLETS!)

Francesca: No hidden fee, No extra cost. ( SOO NICE OF THEM TO DO! NOT!)

Francesca: Sure

Francesca: Please get back to us at any time, if you have further clarification. We here to assist you!

"We are here to royally screw you" is more accurate and is what they should really be saying to customers lol!!! :roll: :incoming: :lol: :lol:

Payback time! :

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/ind ... rates.html

8) :lol:

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:52 am

$150 per month?? Glad I don't live there..
I pay 42 Euro's per month.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:31 am

:lol:

Just perrrfect!
This has been an objective and completely impartial message from the propaganda bureau of DIREWOLF75. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Location: Isthmus of Baldur (modernly known as Bollnäs), Sweden

Postby veli05 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:45 pm

/popcorn

I am just sitting here with my 30D/5U cable plan with no dl cap (most retarded thing I have ever heard of for isps to implement) from comcast for $46 a month for first 6 and then probably $66 a month for the last 6 of our contract (Have no seen that bill yet though still got a few months left at the "46 a month" rate :cry: :?) Split 5 ways (4 roomates) 9 bucks amonth and about 12 a month a person for very quick internet is pretty solid in my opinion. did 50 gbs of torrents in about 4-5hrs and about 4-5 days of 24/7 uploading to get all of it uploaded.

Also, I would burn through 300gb cap so fast with my online gaming tendencies it could choke a horse. NOT moving to canada :D :incoming:
veli05

Next

Return to Breaking Technology News