New Monitor Issue

Is your PC working properly? Not quite? Well, if you need help with computer-related problems, you'll get it here.

Moderators: CPUagnostic, MTX, Celt, Hammer_Time, Sauron_Daz, Tacitus, Anna

New Monitor Issue

Postby veli05 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:18 pm

So I got a 27 inch led monitor a few weeks back and I finally got the power cord in the mail ( another long story I do not want to get into) So I plug everything in and get the hdmi hooked up and everything and the new monitor has black bars on the top and sides of the monitor about a half inch on the top and a inch on the sides. It is a s27b350h led back lit lcd monitor from Samsung. I tried plugging in my laptop to the monitor in its hdmi port and it auto adjusted to have the full screen with no bars so this leads me to believe that it is an issue on my desktop videos drivers or something along those lines. I have scoured the AMD Vision Control panel and I can't find anything that allows me to make sure the aspect ratio or why this is happening.

Tried multiple different hdmi cords,tried it in my dvi to hdmi adapter and it all does the same thing. Any ideas

edit: it is worth noting that even though thought the os says the monitor is at 1920 x 1080 Eve Online is saying that its resolution when I switch it to that monitor is 1680 x 1050 and it won't let me click anything. The vision control center won't even recognize a basic resolution of higher than 1680 x 1050 as well. This is after a re installed the video driver too mind you

edit2: so AMD forums suggested I needed to scale the monitor to fit my screen via the vision control center. You would think that it would do it automatically but I guess not. I feel dumb so feel free to poke fun lol. First hdmi based set of dual monitors I have had to configure manually(first ever manually configured dual monitor setup actually lol) so nice to learn something new
veli05

Re: New Monitor Issue

Postby Hammer_Time » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:14 pm

Glad you got it figured out and working!! No worries I have run into similar issues myself from time to time... surprised your new Asus monitor did not "autoscale" on its own, but at least now you have a way to get rid of the black bars... 27" Asus LED eh? Very nice, I was thinking of upgrading to one of those soon myself, as my good ole' Acer 24" is 5 years old now and starting to dim a bit ( even with brightness cranked )...ccfl bulb is going... and there is a stuck red pixel at the bottom of my screen that appeared 2 years ago and I cannot get rid of.. since its at the bottom of my screen I never really notice it, but the odd time I do it annoys me of course... so mebbe time to upgrade to a new monitor, although I will miss the full 1920x1200 resolution this Acer can do... all new monitors like yours are limited to HD 1080p 1920x1080 res... I can live with that but of course prefer 1920x1200 ( especially gaming ) ... only if you buy a "Professional" type monitor ( about $500 or more ) can you have 1920x1200 resolution these days.. blah..
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:00 am

Did you get it to operate at 1920 x 1080 resolution?
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby veli05 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:47 am

Yes I got it to scale in the vision control center settings which I saw before, just thought htat it should be doing it on its own. I guess not.

It is a samsung 27" led Hammer btw, still very nice of course.
veli05

Postby Hammer_Time » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:34 am

No doubt! Enjoy!! 8)
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:54 am

veli05 wrote:Yes I got it to scale in the vision control center settings which I saw before, just thought htat it should be doing it on its own. I guess not.

Great. So: enjoy!! :D
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby diastole87 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:48 am

recently had a monitor issue. long story short, always make sure the monitors input is set to what input you actually have plugged in :D
If it aint broke.....fix it until it is
diastole87
Official X-bit photochopper

Postby Sauron_Daz » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:08 am

That's not detected automatically then?
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:34 am

Sauron_Daz wrote:That's not detected automatically then?

In some yes, but there´s often some switch you have to set manually.

For example, if i turn the video on, my tv switches automatically because that still uses the same input connection as the regular tv-input, but to use it as a second monitor for the computer, i have to change its input selection to HDMI manually.
This has been an objective and completely impartial message from the propaganda bureau of DIREWOLF75. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Location: Isthmus of Baldur (modernly known as Bollnäs), Sweden

Postby Sauron_Daz » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:21 am

K, tnx.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Return to Technical Support