Developer divide: 19 generations of computer programmers

Forum for all sorts of software discussions. Operating systems, applications, utilities and other software are all here.

Moderators: CPUagnostic, MTX, Celt, Hammer_Time, Sauron_Daz, Tacitus, Anna

Developer divide: 19 generations of computer programmers

Postby Hammer_Time » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:14 am

http://www.infoworld.com/d/application- ... ers-209971

Interesting article... ah, good old Fortran... :D
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Re: Developer divide: 19 generations of computer programmers

Postby Tiggerz » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:08 pm

lol -I appear to span generations.

I am not sure I consider half of those listed as programming languages though, many are what I would refer to as script languages which are coded by 'script kids'. (Ok, insert real programmer jokes here).

To me a programmer is someone who is fluent in one or more of machine code, Assembler, Fortran, C, C++ and anything that requires hand optimising the compiler output in order to make the application better :) After all, its not so much the programming language that is important, but knowing the techniques required in order to use them effectively.
My posts in X-Bit forums don't mean I condone racist or discriminatory comments made by forum members regarding any other individuals. I support the principles of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights & recognize that all people are born free & equal in dignity & rights & should be treated accordingly in the spirit of brotherhood, freedom, justice and peace in the world
Tiggerz
X-bit Guru

Postby Celt » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:52 am

OK, so that confirms I am a dinosaur . . . I've done everything up to (but not including) PHP . . . I need to go find a large rock and hide under it with my HP-1B
You don't have to be a megalomaniac to moderate this forum . . . but it helps!
1123.6536.5321 - More than a number, it's our home!
Celt
SpamCrusher Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:29 am

:lol: Already under my own rock here!! :mrgreen: :lol:

The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Fuzz » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:25 am

I programmed my cable box remote to dim my lights, what kind of programmer does that make me? Oh, I can also whip up a mean macro in Excel.
It's not the penguins I hate, so much as the idea of penguins.
“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.” - Stephen Hawking
Fuzz
X-bit Penguin Hater

Postby Sauron_Daz » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:18 am

Celt wrote:OK, so that confirms I am a dinosaur . . . I've done everything up to (but not including) PHP . . . I need to go find a large rock and hide under it with my HP-1B

:lol:
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:34 am

Fuzz wrote:I programmed my cable box remote to dim my lights, what kind of programmer does that make me?

If you use fuzzy logic........ :mrgreen:
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:34 am

Fuzz wrote:I programmed my cable box remote to dim my lights, what kind of programmer does that make me? Oh, I can also whip up a mean macro in Excel.

You mean you don't have "The Clapper" for your lights??!! :shock: :? :lol:

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Fuzz » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:44 am

tough to operate a variable dimmer with a clapper.
“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.” - Stephen Hawking
Fuzz
X-bit Penguin Hater

Postby Hammer_Time » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:32 am

You could program the dimmer to the number of claps...

1 clap - low light
2 claps - medium light
3 claps - high light
4 claps - Armageddon!! :twisted:

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Fuzz » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:41 pm

I think all that clapping would send my cat into a frenzy. Its bad enough when i whatch action movies and she is sitting on my lap. RATTA-RATTA-RATTA-RATTA CLAWS!
Fuzz
X-bit Penguin Hater

Postby Hammer_Time » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:21 pm

:twisted: :lol: :mrgreen:

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Tiggerz » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:51 pm

Sauron_Daz wrote:
Fuzz wrote:I programmed my cable box remote to dim my lights, what kind of programmer does that make me?

If you use fuzzy logic........ :mrgreen:

Isn't that a book by H. Beam Piper? Wait, that was 'Little Fuzzy'.
My posts in X-Bit forums don't mean I condone racist or discriminatory comments made by forum members regarding any other individuals. I support the principles of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights & recognize that all people are born free & equal in dignity & rights & should be treated accordingly in the spirit of brotherhood, freedom, justice and peace in the world
Tiggerz
X-bit Guru

Postby Tiggerz » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:55 pm

Fuzz wrote:tough to operate a variable dimmer with a clapper.

Well, in fuzzy logic I would probably use the loudness of the clap. Of course, one would first need to define at what point a clap is defined as 'loud'
Tiggerz
X-bit Guru

Postby Fuzz » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:54 am

The clap loudness scale is directly correlated to the blood loss scale scale. Quite claps would elicit an annoyed glance from cat, so no blood loss, while the loudest clap could result in up to a pint of blood loss. Perhaps you could direct that blood to a container on a scale, have that weight value captured and sent as a dimming value to the light. I'd be like the Rube Goldberg light dimmer. As long as I don't have to adjust the lights to many times in an evening, I should be OK.
Fuzz
X-bit Penguin Hater

Postby Hammer_Time » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:17 pm

:lol: See, I knew this thread would eventually churn out a productive programming idea here!! :twisted: :lol: :whistle:

In order to help Fuzz regain from all that blood loss, here is a recipe for awesome gluten-free banana pancakes!! :D

http://www.theroastedroot.net/gluten-fr ... -pancakes/

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:27 pm

Hammer_Time wrote::lol:

Fuzz wrote:I programmed my cable box remote to dim my lights, what kind of programmer does that make me? Oh, I can also whip up a mean macro in Excel.

You mean you don't have "The Clapper" for your lights??!! :shock: :? :lol:

Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:41 pm

Fuzz wrote:The clap loudness scale is directly correlated to the blood loss scale scale. Quite claps would elicit an annoyed glance from cat, so no blood loss, while the loudest clap could result in up to a pint of blood loss. Perhaps you could direct that blood to a container on a scale, have that weight value captured and sent as a dimming value to the light. I'd be like the Rube Goldberg light dimmer. As long as I don't have to adjust the lights to many times in an evening, I should be OK.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:41 am

Hammer_Time wrote::lol: See, I knew this thread would eventually churn out a productive programming idea here!! :twisted: :lol: :whistle:

Ah, so that´s Rube Goldberg style... Like Storm P(edersen)...

Have this album:
This has been an objective and completely impartial message from the propaganda bureau of DIREWOLF75. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Location: Isthmus of Baldur (modernly known as Bollnäs), Sweden

Postby Hammer_Time » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:49 am

Storm Pedersen needs to cut back on the meatballs methinks! :wink:

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Next

Return to General Software Forum