Nvidia GPU - What is the process of overclocking?

Forum for general hardware discussions. If you don't know, where your question belongs, it is the right place to go.

Moderators: CPUagnostic, MTX, Celt, Hammer_Time, Sauron_Daz, Tacitus, Anna

Nvidia GPU - What is the process of overclocking?

Postby Leprekaun » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:24 pm

Hi all. Hopefully, I'll be having a GTX 670 soon. Although I've been hesitant with the idea of overclocking, I think I might like to overclock it to get similar performance to a GTX 680. I figured that hopefully the card will last for a few years. I went for the Gigabyte Windforce 3X version to get radical cooling out of it. I am familiar with CPU overclocking as it's just a matter of increasing the multiplier to a desired point, if the system fails to boot, increase VCore, and try again, if it boots, run a Prime95 torture test at least overnight to monitor if any cores stop working during the test or any sort of error happens, if it succeeds, all well and good, if not, increase VCore and so on and so forth.

With GPUs, I assume it's the same process of GPU clock + GPU voltage but I'm not certain. So my question is this, what is the recommended tool used for overclocking an Nvidia GPU? And when I overclock it, will it be overclocking the base clock or boost clock? Also, what are the advantages of a faster core clock and what are the advantages of a faster memory clock?
MB: ASUS Z87-A LGA 1150
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k (Haswell) (@3.9Ghz)
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 3 (Single-Fan)
GPU: 2GB Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 670 (Windforce 3x)
Sound: Creative Fatal1ty Recon3D Professional
RAM: 16GB Corsair XMS3 CMX8GX3M2A1600C9 (@1333Mhz, 9-9-9-24, 1.65v)
Leprekaun

Re: Nvidia GPU - What is the process of overclocking?

Postby Hammer_Time » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:55 pm

The best graphics card overclocking utility out there :

http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm

Works fine for nVidia and AMD video cards...

You are correct, only need to tweak gpu voltage and the gpu clock... when you increase the base clock on these newer nVidia cards you are also boosting the "boost clock" on them by the same amount unless the card is under heavy load, then the "Boost Clock" goes even higher than the standard boost amount... they are "linked" together except under heavy load conditions ( base clock and boost clock ) , see review below for more details on this:

If you buy the Gigabyte GTX 670 ( awesome card btw ! ) , here is a review on it:

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphi ... b-review/1

Let's recap. The GTX 670 2GB is essentially the same 28nm Kepler GK104 GPU featured in the GTX 680 2GB, but with one of its SMCs removed, thus leaving it with a total of 1,344 stream processors and 112 texture units. It also sports seven of Nvidia's Polymorph engines for tesselation duties, and four rasterisers.

At stock frequencies, the card has a 915MHz core clock speed, with a boost speed of 980MHz (although the card will boost past this under heavy load). Gigabyte, however, has applied a modest 7 per cent overclock, taking the core clock speed to 980MHz for a boost clock of 1,058MHz, though the card actually reached 1,162MHz in our testing.

Skyrim performance:

Skyrim tends to favour Nvidia hardware, so it's unsurprising to see GeForce cards do better than their Radeon counterparts. Nonetheless, the Gigabyte GTX 670 2GB clearly outperforms the HD 7970 3GB in every test, and either beats or equals the costlier GHz Edition in each test too, which is an excellent result.

How they overclocked it:

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphi ... b-review/9

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB X Turbo - Overclocking

As Gigabyte's overclock is a fairly modest one, we were hoping to be able to squeeze some extra juice and higher frame rates from its card, especially as it houses an extra power phase. We fired up EVGA's Precision tool for the job, and once we'd settled on the highest stable overclock, repeated the Unigine benchmark and the Battlefield 3 2,560 x 1,600 test to see the impact.

We ramped up the voltage the maximum available, which was 1175mV, and also increased the available power to the maximum of 112 per cent. With these settings, we were able to add an extra 100MHz to the core clock, taking it to 1,080MHz. This represents roughly a 10 per cent overclock, or an 18 per cent one over stock frequencies, which is not too shabby. It's also 40MHz higher than we were able to overclock the stock GTX 670 2GB to. The claimed boost clock at this setting is 1,159MHz, but we saw it boost to 1,254MHz in use.

As for the memory, we were able to clock it up by a whopping 350MHz (1.4GHz effective) before the card begun to become unstable. This gave us a memory frequency of 1.85GHz (7.4GHz effective), a 23 per cent increase, far higher than the 1.7Ghz (6.8GHz effective) we managed with our stock sample.
At these frequencies, our power draw test took our peak system power consumption up to 284W.

Okay, so they pushed the gpu voltage to the max allowed by EVGA Precision overclocking tool ( works fine but I hate the interface, much prefer MSi Afterburner which offers more fan options ( completely adjustable fan speed curve ) and is widely regarded as the best gpu tweaking tool out there, just saying...

Anyone can push a component to its limits and beyond when the component is brand new and they only test it for a week or two then write the review. I warn you not to push the max voltage possible to your gpu because you will eventually fry the card. For example, My 1 year old EVGA GTX 560 Ti "FPB" card fried on me from running 5 to 10% increase in cpu voltage ( only during gaming ), and pushing the gpu speed from stock 850 Mhz to 950 Mhz ( typically, and again, only during gaming sessions , rest of the time I ran it stock voltage and speed ). I monitored the gpu temp with Afterburner and the card never exceeded 60C during full load heavy gaming... which is supposed to be a low "safe" temp for this card ( nVidia says 105C is the "max" gpu temp for this card ) and I never got anywhere near that temp, ever on my card.. yet it still died on me even though I thought I was giving it a very mild gpu voltage increase and frequency increase ( compared to what some people and reviewers out there do with their cards :shock: :lol: ).

So to make a long story short, if you want your card to last you a long time ( more than a year for example ) then you will not increase the gpu voltage at all, and only increase the gpu and memory speeds when gaming... my advice...If you overclock the gpu by 5% and memory by 20% then you will have GTX 680 level performance without having to bump gpu voltage or risk frying the card over time...

Once you get the card and begin testing it then we can give you further advice, but the above should give you a good baseline to start from...hope you get your new card soon! cheers!
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:35 am

I never though overvolting to be a smart idea.. And with ever shrinking processes even less with each generation.
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:41 pm

Yep, I had to learn my own lesson "the hard way" with overvolting modern graphics card... mebbe I had a "poor sample" for it, or just plain unlucky, but in any case it soured me on overvolting a modern videocard ( unless you plan to upgrade your card within a year or less, then go for it!! ). I still push the card to 900 Mhz ( from stock 850 Mhz ) only during gaming, but I won't push it any higher, and I am not overvolting my replacement card at all... too risky for my liking...
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:46 am

The best way to teach a lesson: allowing people to make their own mistakes.
This does not apply to politicians!!!
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:32 am

:lol: Word!!!

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:59 am

Sauron_Daz wrote:The best way to teach a lesson: allowing people to make their own mistakes.
This does not apply to politicians!!!

Does not apply to anyone really. Best way is to figure out how to get people to realise the lesson from someone who learned it the hard way...

Or to just think first, THEN act. That would cut the need for lessons overall by about 80% or so.
This has been an objective and completely impartial message from the propaganda bureau of DIREWOLF75. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Location: Isthmus of Baldur (modernly known as Bollnäs), Sweden

Postby Sauron_Daz » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:39 pm

I'd guess you don't have any children in their "teens".
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:29 am

Sauron_Daz wrote:I'd guess you don't have any children in their "teens".

Teens are fully capable of conscious thought, logic and deduction.

Making mistakes as the only way to learn, that´s just silly.
This has been an objective and completely impartial message from the propaganda bureau of DIREWOLF75. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Location: Isthmus of Baldur (modernly known as Bollnäs), Sweden

Postby Sauron_Daz » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:46 am

They are, but don't always use those skills.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Return to General Hardware Forum