Looking for an AMD CPU laptop (under €1000)

Discuss Laptops, Netbooks, Tablets, and other Mobile computing devices here ( except Smartphones which has its own forum ).

Moderators: CPUagnostic, MTX, Celt, Hammer_Time, Sauron_Daz, Tacitus, Anna

Looking for an AMD CPU laptop (under €1000)

Postby Leprekaun » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:08 pm

Hi all. I've decided that I'd like to sell my current Dell laptop and get an AMD CPU powered laptop. I know that the best notebook CPU from AMD is the A10 series but I'm also willing to consider an A8 series CPU. It is very important to me that it's an AMD CPU laptop, not Intel and I know Intel CPU laptops are more powerful, faster etc. but I still want an AMD laptop. I have some personal reasons for my choice. The market is filled with Intel CPU powered laptops which is why I'm looking for your help to track down the few AMD CPU laptops around.

Screen size isn't much concern, 15.6" or 17.3" but preferably 15.6" as this will be my workstation laptop for my college work but I'd like it to have a little bit of juice to power modern day games reasonably (40-60FPS) well on medium settings.

I know of the MSI GX60 but it's priced well outside my price range (€1300). So I'm looking for something in the sub €1000 range.

So can anyone give me any recommendations? I'd like to stay away from known bad brands like Acer, Asus etc.
MB: ASUS Z87-A LGA 1150
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k (Haswell) (@3.9Ghz)
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 3 (Single-Fan)
GPU: 2GB Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 670 (Windforce 3x)
Sound: Creative Fatal1ty Recon3D Professional
RAM: 16GB Corsair XMS3 CMX8GX3M2A1600C9 (@1333Mhz, 9-9-9-24, 1.65v)
Leprekaun

Re: Looking for an AMD CPU laptop (under €1000)

Postby Sauron_Daz » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:33 am

I have an Acer laptop with a Turion X2 in it. Its already surviving 4-5 years of 'abuse' from my kids and still running fine. Why would you call that a bad known brand?
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby clone » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:31 am

So can anyone give me any recommendations? I'd like to stay away from known bad brands like Acer, Asus etc.
your kinda limiting your options aren't you?... you want an AMD A10 series cpu based platform only, despite their rarity, and you don't want it to be an Asus or an Acer making the search even more problematic.
When we lose the right to be different, we lose the privilege to be free.
clone
X-bit Film Critic

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:39 pm

"Known bad brands"? Acer and ASUS? BAD brands? :shock:
This has been an objective and completely impartial message from the propaganda bureau of DIREWOLF75. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Location: Isthmus of Baldur (modernly known as Bollnäs), Sweden

Postby Leprekaun » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:14 pm

Sorry, I think you misunderstood what I meant. I know that Acer and Asus may make good laptops but my primary concern is customer service. I've heard a few horror stories regarding customer service about Acer whereby someone had a problem with their Acer laptop, they sent it Acer to fix/replace etc. and there was something about 30 days, not sure if it's from date of purchase or 30 days left in the warranty but in the end, Acer customer service registered receiving the laptop on the "31st" day, meaning that it's out of warranty or the 30 days from purchase even though the owner of the laptop sent it much earlier. I've also heard that Asus laptops aren't of the best quality. Components themselves might be fine but things like the quality of the casing could be considered an issue. I'm a very much DIY guy when it comes to computers but with laptops, with everything being embedded onto the motherboard, if a component fails, I can't exactly open it up, take it out and ask for a replacement which is why I care about good customer service.

From the looks of it, I can clearly see that Intel take up the vast majority of the market. After looking on countless websites, I've come down to an HP Pavilion G6 laptop (here: http://www.currys.ie/Product/HP-Pavilion-g62213sa-Laptop-Red/316206/148). GPU is very much similar to the one in my current Dell laptop (Dell: Nvidia GT 525M / HP: Radeon HD 7640G) but the CPU, that could be an issue. I know that Intel are the much better CPU manufacturers than AMD but the difference between the A8-4500M and the i7-2670QM is more than half! (3DMark 06 CPU bench: i7-2670QM: 5333.2 / A8-4500M: 2388.7). I'm studying computer programming so a fast CPU is something I require for compiling code. Looking at the A10-4600M CPU, it's definitely not much different to the A8-4500M in the bench (difference of around 500 points) but I'm just trying to limit the CPU performance hit as much as I can which is why I'd like to go for an A10 CPU powered laptop over an A8 powered one.

Benchmark info was taken from notebookcheck.net by the way (http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Processors-Benchmarklist.2436.0.html)
MB: ASUS Z87-A LGA 1150
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k (Haswell) (@3.9Ghz)
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 3 (Single-Fan)
GPU: 2GB Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 670 (Windforce 3x)
Sound: Creative Fatal1ty Recon3D Professional
RAM: 16GB Corsair XMS3 CMX8GX3M2A1600C9 (@1333Mhz, 9-9-9-24, 1.65v)
Leprekaun

Postby Hammer_Time » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:16 pm

Weird, here in Canada Acer has the BEST service turnaround times in the industy... I used to sell Acer laptops years ago when managing a computer shop... the nearest Acer repair depot is 1 hour drive from here ( located in Mississauga ( Toronto ) ) and Acer guarantees a 3 hour max. turnaround time for any hw service there on their laptops.. I sold one that had a flaky burner ( VERY rare for Acer ) and took it to the Acer service center in Mississauga, dropped it off, went shopping and came back 3 hours later and of course it was fixed as promised. Even if the mobo or screen had failed it would still have been replaced in under 3 hours time... unlike many other brands who would make you ship it back to them and that takes 1 to 2 weeks total turnaround time.. since you live in Ireland you got screwed by Acer waiting 30 days or more.. but over here in North America , Acer has the best customer service bar none, and I have dealt with them all over the years... Asus is pretty good too, right behind them generally when it comes to service/warranty work... just saying...

Acer is the number one "Value" brand in laptops as far as I am concerned, you get a decent product with great service at a low price. Pay a bit more for Asus and you get a bit better quality, but then you have to pay for that of course...all depends on your budget...
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:50 am

Too bad we don't all have a service point nearby..
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:00 pm

Acer is the number one "Value" brand in laptops as far as I am concerned

That was roughly my view as well. Good to hear i wasn´t completely off at least.
This has been an objective and completely impartial message from the propaganda bureau of DIREWOLF75. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Location: Isthmus of Baldur (modernly known as Bollnäs), Sweden

Postby Hammer_Time » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:14 pm

I strongly concur, of all the "value" brands out there for laptops, I would trust/pick Acer out them all...

We are not talking Asus, Lenovo/IBM, and specialty notebook manufacturers ( high end ) here, just the mainstream, and Acer rules that as far as I am concerned... :scout:
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:04 am

Agreed, never had problems with Acer products. I own my second now, my sister has one, some from work have one etc and share this experience.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Return to Laptops, Netbooks, Tablets