Low FPS in Skyrim but Tom's Hardware bench says different?

Forum for general hardware discussions. If you don't know, where your question belongs, it is the right place to go.

Moderators: CPUagnostic, MTX, Celt, Hammer_Time, Sauron_Daz, Tacitus, Anna

Low FPS in Skyrim but Tom's Hardware bench says different?

Postby Leprekaun » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:17 pm

Hi all. I don't understand why I'm getting much lower frame rates in Skyrim with my GTX 660. According to Tom's hardware benchmark here, the lowest frame rate they have there for a GTX 660 is minimum 68FPS. With the same settings on the Ultra preset, I'm seeing a minimum of around 36FPS so almost half the speed :(. I tried temporarily OCing my CPU to 3.82Ghz but it made no difference to the frame rates. There is no ingame benchmark in Skyrim so I'm only judging based on the opening sequence of the game but a difference of nearly half is alarming as I'm running the same GPU as listed on Tom's Hardware. Is my Phenom II X4 really that bad compared to an Intel Core i7 CPU? I'm running the latest Nvidia drivers (310.70) for my GTX 660. I have 16GB of RAM so RAM, running at stock timings and voltage, couldn't be an issue so now it comes down to 1 of 3 things. GPU but I don't see how since I was told that with electronics, they either work or they don't, no real grey area in between, CPU, though as far as I know, a Phenom II X4 should be more than capable, or the motherboard is hindering in some massive way causing the lower frame rates. So any ideas?
MB: ASUS Z87-A LGA 1150
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k (Haswell) (@3.9Ghz)
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 3 (Single-Fan)
GPU: 2GB Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 670 (Windforce 3x)
Sound: Creative Fatal1ty Recon3D Professional
RAM: 16GB Corsair XMS3 CMX8GX3M2A1600C9 (@1333Mhz, 9-9-9-24, 1.65v)
Leprekaun

Re: Low FPS in Skyrim but Tom's Hardware bench says different?

Postby Hammer_Time » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:15 am

Skyrim is a poorly coded game and SLi scaling is nearly non-existent ( I know you are not running Sli but this is still relevant to overall Skyrim performance ). Please read my recent post about Skyrim performance in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20116

It is the game , not your hw... even people with THREE GTX 580 cards in SLi are bitching about low fps in Skyrim, a very horribly coded game.

Solution = live with it or play a different game, sorry but the game developers dropped the ball so to speak with Skyrim... argh...
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Cow187 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:33 am

Core i7 can see 20FPS or more over a Phenom, using the same GPU.
Xeon E3110 3.0ghz "Wolfdale" 4ghz @ 1.3V OC
2x2gb G.Skill F2-8000 PC2-1000mhz
Sapphire HD 5850
Asus P5K
X-Fi Xtreme Music
OCZ 600W
Cow187
X-bit Guru

Postby Hammer_Time » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:49 am

Yes, that is true...

Phenom II is not a bad cpu, heck I am still running old Intel Q9400 ( Core 2 based ) quad Socket 775 here and loving it!! Games run fine maxxed out with GTX 560 Ti card ( Black Ops 2, BF3, NFS series, Dishonoured, Far Cry 3, Medal of Honor Warfighter, etc. ) , but I do not play Mafia II or Skyrim , both those games are coded like crap and require loads more system hp than any other game out there currently...
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:43 am

You also pay a lot more money for those 20 fps...
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Return to General Hardware Forum