GPU PCIe cables - Do I need to use the molex-pcie?

Forum for general hardware discussions. If you don't know, where your question belongs, it is the right place to go.

Moderators: CPUagnostic, MTX, Celt, Hammer_Time, Sauron_Daz, Tacitus, Anna

GPU PCIe cables - Do I need to use the molex-pcie?

Postby Leprekaun » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:06 am

Hello all. This is just a general question that I don't think really matters that much but I would just like to make sure. With my previous Radeon HD 5850 and my current GTX 660, I've noticed that they both came with molex to PCIe cables for powering the fan of the GPU I assume? Anyway, my PSU also came with PCIe cables so I've powered my GPU using the cables directly from the PSU so is it ok to do that or I should use the molex to PCIe cables? What makes me wonder about it is that the molex to PCIe cables have 2 wires going to pin 2, top row and nothing going in pin 5, bottom row while the PCIe cable coming from the PSU itself has 1 wire going into each pin so that's what got me thinking. I have no electronics knowledge to determine different voltages, types etc. so does it make any difference which cables I use or they're the same? Thanks.
MB: ASUS Z87-A LGA 1150
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k (Haswell) (@3.9Ghz)
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 3 (Single-Fan)
GPU: 2GB Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 670 (Windforce 3x)
Sound: Creative Fatal1ty Recon3D Professional
RAM: 16GB Corsair XMS3 CMX8GX3M2A1600C9 (@1333Mhz, 9-9-9-24, 1.65v)
Leprekaun

Re: GPU PCIe cables - Do I need to use the molex-pcie?

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:00 pm

I've noticed that they both came with molex to PCIe cables for powering the fan of the GPU I assume?

AFAIK or i misread something you wrote, hardly!

The extra connections are needed because the PCIe slot can not provide enough power to the card.

The molex to PCIe power are there only for if you have a PSU with too few PCIe power cables.
This has been an objective and completely impartial message from the propaganda bureau of DIREWOLF75. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Location: Isthmus of Baldur (modernly known as Bollnäs), Sweden

Postby Hammer_Time » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:18 pm

Dire is absolutely correct. The PCI Express slot ( version 1 or 2 at least ) can only provide max 75 watts to the card, the rest of the power it needs comes from those PCIe power cables from your power supply. It is best to use the native connectors from your psu, as you are doing right now. You only need to use molex 4 pin ---> PCIe 6 pin ( or 8 pin with some very power hungry top of the line cards ) converter cables ( adapters ) if you don't have enough of the proper PCIe power cables coming from your psu. You have it hooked up correctly, nothing to worry about...
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:14 am

There is no must in using those adapters.
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Return to General Hardware Forum