Soundcard recommendations please?

Discussion on HDDs, other storage solutions, sound cards and acoustic systems, peripherals.

Moderators: CPUagnostic, MTX, Celt, Hammer_Time, Sauron_Daz, Tacitus, Anna

Soundcard recommendations please?

Postby Leprekaun » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:54 pm

Hello all. I think my Creative Recon3D has some issues, driver or not, I'm just disappointed in how it's performing. A definite issue is that I can be playing a game for a while then the sound cuts out completely, even in Windows, there is no sound. I then realised that actually there is sound but it's only coming through the subwoofer :/ which only works in certain situations. I don't think it's related to the speakers because I also have my PS3 connected to them using RCA cables and it works fine when there is no sound in Windows. So I've had a quick look around and did some research into the best soundcards available. I've come across the Creative X-Fi Titanium HD and Asus Xonar Essence STX but I have a common issue between them, audio inputs. My speakers connect to an audio device using 3x 3.5mm jack cables and from what I understand, the X-Fi Titanium HD and Xonar Essence STX only take in analog inputs? Also, the cost is a bit high. From what I've read about Creative cards, anything that isn't X-Fi is bad (with the exception of the X-Fi XtremeAudio which is actually using an Audigy chipset!!!) so if I was to go with Creative, I'm sure I'll be going for an X-Fi soundcard. Other than that, I don't know really what to go for. So can anyone recommend a good soundcard that won't break the bank? Thanks.
MB: ASUS Z87-A LGA 1150
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k (Haswell) (@3.9Ghz)
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 3 (Single-Fan)
GPU: 2GB Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 670 (Windforce 3x)
Sound: Creative Fatal1ty Recon3D Professional
RAM: 16GB Corsair XMS3 CMX8GX3M2A1600C9 (@1333Mhz, 9-9-9-24, 1.65v)
Leprekaun

Re: Soundcard recommendations please?

Postby Silver » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:11 am

Do Asus Xonar Essence STX break the bank ??
It looks very reasonably priced if it is a good card.. and its supposedly Asus best one right.

Disclaimer: Ive never used it so read reviews before you purchase :)

Merry X-mas :)
Specs:

Intel Core i7 4930K, Kingston 32GB
ASUS GeForce GTX 770 4GB, ASUS P9X79

Aiming for impossible goals forces thinking beyond mere extrapolation of existing achievements.
Silver
X-bit Guru

Postby TAViX » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:18 am

I have an old X-FI Pci Express Titanium and no problems what so ever. Best soundcard ever.
TAViX
X-Bit Gundarm

Postby Hammer_Time » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:19 am

I recommend the X-Fi Titanium ( non-HD Edition so it has the correct 3.5mm jacks, not just stupid RCA connectors that the Titanium HD has and is thus useless for your speaker kit ) too , it is about the best gaming card I have ever heard...

If you didn't game, and wanted a quality card only to listen to music then Asus Xonar series is very hard to beat, very high quality components and it does sound "slightly" better musically than any Creative card on the planet, but it has to reverse engineer Creative's EAX effects because Creative won't sell them the license rights for that ( or Asus does not want to pay royalties to Creative ). Asus does a pretty good job of replicating EAX effects but it is not quite 100% ... for gaming, Creative X-Fi Titanium all the way...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6829102019

That is what you need but it is out of stock..discontinued... crap... mebbe you can find a used one somewhere??

Wait, I found one on Amazon.co.uk site, mebbe they will ship to Ireland for you?? :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Creative-Titani ... 010&sr=8-5

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional Series Sound Card 7.1 PCI-Express x1 Bulk

Price: £80.83
In stock.

Dispatched from and sold by LambdaTek ComponentShop.

Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Express chipset for the latest PCs
Accurate and immersive X-Fi CMSS-3D surround sound over headphones - perfect for online or late night gaming sessions
Hardware-accelerated EAX 5.0 and OpenAL gaming with 64MB X-RAM for ultra realistic games, cinema-quality sound
Creative ALchemy software restores EAX surround sound to Windows XP games under Windows Vista restore
Optical inputs and outputs with Dolby Digital encoding in real time and connecting to your surround sound decoder on a single cable

That card would be perfect for you, and won't break the bank either!! 8)
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:54 am

Creative doesn't have similar priced cards with same specs at the moment?
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:56 am

He already bought one of those ... SB "Recon" core ( uses cpu for sw audio processing, much like onboard audio chips currently do ) and it sucks, the driver sucks, the card sucks, so he is much better off buying older Titanium card...

http://www.custompcreview.com/reviews/c ... ie/4089/5/

Unfortunately for those audiophiles in the crowd, you might not be impressed with the Recon 3D. The sound quality isn’t going to be quite as good as say a Xonar STX or X-Fi Titanium HD, and it really isn’t meant to be either. What it’s meant to be is an audio processor that improves sound quality on integrated audio especially for compressed, lossy audio.

Unfortunately, price on the Recon 3D right now is around $95 on Amazon, so this is still a pricey card however, considering the discontinuation of Creative’s X-Fi Titanium line of products and most likely the discontinuation of driver support for those products, I don’t see many alternatives out there for the price range

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac ... 899/review

We liked

A new sound chip from Creative – that should be excitement enough.
Especially as it comes with a very sophisticated driver suite for controlling all of its various processing parts.

We disliked

The trouble is, in practice, there's nothing exciting about the sound quality at all, and the certainly not enough to justify the price.
If you're spending this much, go the whole hog and get an X-Fi Titanium HD for just a little more – it may not be designed for gaming, but it sounds great.

Verdict

It's not that the Recon3D is a bad card, but as a major new release from Creative perhaps we just expected too much of it. There's nothing that would convince us to upgrade from a decent X-Fi, and coming from on-board sound you can get better for less.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/05/ ... _review/10

Tech Support

Creative offers technical support for its products through e-mail and a web based forum. The forum's moderators occasionally step in to provide product specifications and e-mail referrals, but for the most part, it is a user to user forum.

We always e-mail the manufactures of the products that we review with any issues we may encounter. This allows us to gauge the company's response time as well as the thoroughness of the answers that we receive.

While testing the Recon3D, we set the card to two channel stereo playback at 16 bit, 44.1 kHz to prevent up-sampling of the music we listened to. Whenever we plugged or unplugged a set headphones, the Recon3D control panel changed itself to 5.1, full range speakers, 24 bit, 48 kHz playback. This would cause crackling and garbled sound until we re-ran the sound setup wizard in the Windows' control panel.

We wrote Creative about the issue and we received a response in less than twelve hours. The technician stated that this automatic switching behavior was no mistake, it was by design. The card is definitely meant to be in 5.1 mode when using speakers or headphones. He also included a listing of proper connections for our speakers, some additional troubleshooting steps, and a link that would download the newest drivers from Creative's website.

While this is not the answer we wanted to hear, we liked the technician's straight forward answer about our issue.

We spoke directly to Creative's product marketing manager, Ryan Schlieper, about the issue as well. He stated that Creative may include an option in a future driver revision to leave bit rate, sample depth, and the number of speaker to be used unchanged. Many of Creative's X-Fi and Audigy sound cards had such an option, so we believe it is very likely that Creative will add that feature in the future to the Recon3D series' drivers.

Documentation and Product Updates

In past reviews of Creative products, we pointed out that the included documentation and instructions were sparse to say the least. The Recon3D reverses that trend with a forty page PDF document that covers all of the card's functions and connectivity quite thoroughly. Since the Recon3D's release, Creative has issued two standalone updates for the product. Creative has really stepped up its game in the last year when it comes to supporting its new products.

The newest driver update for the Recon3D cards was issued just a few days ago. The update solved both the crackling and channel switching issues we had when switching between speakers and headphones at various bit depths and sample rates.

The Bottom Line

If you are currently shopping for a new sound card that will provide you with a much better all-around audio experience than what your recent onboard sound already provides, then the Recon3D sound cards in any of its three forms is likely not for you. Listening to music with the Recon3D Fata1ty Pro sound card was a disappointing experience to say the least. Our movie experience in both stereo and 5.1 modes was slightly better, but still a very hit and miss situation.

Creative's past hardware-based Audigy and X-Fi cards with and without the I/O bays offered more value over these cards simply because those were superior performing products for the time when used for movies, music, and games. Those solutions are still simply better than what we have today in the Creative Sound Blaster Recond3D series.

In Creative’s defense, if you go to its website and start looking for how these products are marketed, you will not find the Fatal1ty Recond3D listed for use with music or movies. The product reviewed here is specifically listed for gamers. Of course this makes us wonder how many gamers watch movies or listen to music on their computers? Surely not many! Seriously, we get how Creative is trying to cater to the market with a more diverse product stack, but the company has somewhat missed the mark here in terms of music, movies, and TV shows.

However where the Fatal1ty Recon3D shines, and yes you might have guessed this, is gaming. If you are a competitive gamer that is only looking for a solid gaming sound card with a great headphone amplifier, then the Recon3D and Recon3D Fatal1ty Champion are definitely worth your consideration. The I/O bay accessory was very convenient to use, but it is not a "must have" in our books. The sound card already has a microphone and headphone amplifier out ports on its back panel, we would simply need longer audio cables. Surely though this is a personal choice though.

Although these Fatal1ty Recon3D products seem slightly overpriced for the base audio quality that is delivered, there is no question in our minds that the Recon 3D cards with surround and Scout Mode gaming effects will definitely give you much a better stereo, 5.1, and headphone gaming experience than what onboard analog sound can provide. Scout Mode alone might be worth the entire product cost to some of our readers however as it surely has a way of giving you an advantage you are likely without now. Some might even say Scout Mode is cheating.

Bringing it all home however, we know that the Fatal1ty Recon3D is engineered to a very specific demographic, and that leaves us a little flat as we would have like to see the product a bit more well rounded. It is a very good gaming product, but a somewhat anemic overall product. If you are going to go this route, your best value would likely be in the $85 card without the bay. We understand what Creative was focused on with the Fatal1ty Recon3D series, we just think it left its abilities a bit too narrow unless you have very specific gaming needs.

Maybe we need to take the "non-gaming" Creative SB Recon3D for a test drive and see how it compares?
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:29 am

Those X-Fi Titanium cards are still available here.
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:50 pm

8) Long live the X-Fi Titanium!!

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:49 am

Best recommendation in this thread so far.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:04 am

Musically, any Asus Xonar based card would be awesome, but since his primary focus is gaming surround sound then I recommend the X-Fi Titanium, it is very close musically to the Xonar and superior for pure gaming surround sound and EAX effects.

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Silver » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:07 pm

Do any of you here know if Asus provides good drivers for their soundcards ??

Creative drivers isnt really much to write home about.. when they work they are good...
but too often i have this issue of sound becoming garbled.. then i need to open up the
"Creative console launcher" and change between their 3 modes.. and then sound goes back to normal probably 8 of 10 times..
if not, a reboot is needed. Ive done many driver updates and this issue never seems to become completly fixed.

I wonder if the grass is greener on the other side :)
Specs:

Aiming for impossible goals forces thinking beyond mere extrapolation of existing achievements.
Silver
X-bit Guru

Postby Hammer_Time » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:55 pm

I have heard that in general the Asus Xonar series drivers are "decent", but as with any hw ( especially audio ), there always seems to be some little glitches here and there:

http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx?bo ... uage=en-us

They are certainly no worse than Creative drivers in general, but as for better, hard to say... have not owned an Asus sound card myself, opinion based on what I have read on the web... the majority seem to like the latest Asus drivers better than the Creative drivers in general.

http://www.overclock.net/a/battle-of-ki ... asus-xonar

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:59 am

Silver wrote:Do any of you here know if Asus provides good drivers for their soundcards ??

Creative drivers isnt really much to write home about.. when they work they are good...
but too often i have this issue of sound becoming garbled.. then i need to open up the
"Creative console launcher" and change between their 3 modes.. and then sound goes back to normal probably 8 of 10 times..
if not, a reboot is needed. Ive done many driver updates and this issue never seems to become completly fixed.

I wonder if the grass is greener on the other side :)

Going to try?
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby TAViX » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:10 am

I'm using PAX Drivers suite for my X-FI and are by far the best modded drivers out there. No issues with those.

www.hardwareheaven.com/pax-download-pcie-x-fi-series/
TAViX
X-Bit Gundarm

Postby Sauron_Daz » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:52 am

Never heard of those.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Silver » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:49 pm

Sauron_Daz wrote:Going to try?

Havn't decided yet.
Specs:

Silver
X-bit Guru

Postby Hammer_Time » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:37 am

Realtek onboard Forevah!! :wink: :lol: ( at least it is good enough for playback for most people's needs and driver works fine for that, don't try and record with it though! :P :lol: )

PAX drivers are indeed the best "modded" drivers for X-Fi , enjoy Tavix! 8)

http://www.paxyoursoundout.com/Home/

Celebrated 5 years of PAX drivers.

“PAX XFI Surround USB 5.1V1.00” XP/Vista/Win7 – 32/64Bit - Read me

PAX
Performance Audio Xeleration
-
Tweaked Drivers for Creative Soundcards:
Better Performance. Better Audio. Better Xeleration.

Formally known as Youpax, Pax was founded by Robert McClelland 7 years ago, who is continuing to provide an alternative tweaked driver to the Official driver released by Creative.

Why should I install this Pax alternative?

Pax is aimed at improving sound quality and to give a more deeper bass sound, while retaining the clarity of the overall output audio. Most users continue to use Pax drivers once moving over and never look back!

PAX® 2005-2012

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:16 am

Does Pax supply drivers for all creative cards, or just a number of them?
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:40 am

Mostly for older Audigy and all X-Fi cards...afaik...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:59 am

I don't have a Creative card.. just use the onboard sound. Good enough for me.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Next

Return to Storage, Sound and Others