[MEMORY CHOOSE] 2 x 4GB or 1x 8GB? And which ones?

All about CPU, mainboards, and memory.

Moderators: CPUagnostic, MTX, Celt, Hammer_Time, Sauron_Daz, Tacitus, Anna

[MEMORY CHOOSE] 2 x 4GB or 1x 8GB? And which ones?

Postby cruncx » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:10 am

Hi guys!
I'm building a new CPU...
And it will be composed by:

core i5 3570
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H LGA 1155
Radeon 7970 Black Edition Double Dissipation, from XFX - not OC at first, but probably in a year
2.0TB Seagate Green Barracuda HDD
PSU ATX 800W REAL CORSAIR GAMING GS SERIES
Case: Corsair 300R

My remaining question is about Memory...
What is better, if i'm planing to have 8GB?
2 x 4gb or 1 x 8gb? - later, ins a year or so, it may be that I buy another 8 GB...

And, after this... I have between this Memories to choose from:

http://navenet.com/home/mostra_produto. ... uto=158245
http://navenet.com/home/mostra_produto. ... uto=158081
http://navenet.com/home/mostra_produto. ... uto=155663
http://navenet.com/home/mostra_produto. ... uto=158083

Which one should fit me better? My pc purpose is for gaming...
I'll use all of them at 1600MHZ, if I buy the 1866 for example, will there be any problem? Will it be more stable?
I may afford any of this, so price comparsion isn't the question... But can't afford above this ones, neither.

Thx for your attention!
cruncx

Re: [MEMORY CHOOSE] 2 x 4GB or 1x 8GB? And which ones?

Postby Hammer_Time » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:27 am

Any ram you buy can be run "underclocked" , so to buy memory rated faster than the speed you intend to actually run it at, is a waste of time and money to be honest.

If you have a choice between a single stick of 8 GB ram, or two sticks of 4 GB ram, you should always go for the two stick solution: advantage, dual channel memory mode instead of single channel.. slightly better performance... plus most motherboards prefer to run smaller capacity sticks per ram slot ... 2 or 4 GB sticks always work in nearly every mobo... 8 GB have less compatibility, harder to make an 8 GB stick work properly above 1600 Mhz for a number of reasons..

So go for 2 x 4 GB memory kit, dual channel... best advice! :scout:

( 8 GB is more than enough for most users btw, unless you are a heavy CAD or Photoshop or 3dsmax user etc )

2 of these will be fine for your system:

http://navenet.com/home/mostra_produto. ... uto=158245
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby cruncx » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:35 am

Hmm, got it.
What is the difference between the vengeance and dominator editions?
Isn`t it worth to have the dominator? - I have no clue about the real differences between their performances...

And about the uses, sometimes I do usa CAD as I`m studying Engineer now... So later, i may have to increase the Memory, but hopefully not for now =D

Thx for your replies, Hammer_Time, they are being of great use!
cruncx

Postby Stupify » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:43 am

i was going to suggest going for the single 1x8GB simply because of their prices and eventual option to add another without wasting slots. the performance difference between single and dual channel isn't that drastic to matter - 5% max in most cases. as is as time pass by more and more memory is needed and so going for 2x4gb just uses extra slot forcing the future addition of memory to be a bit complicated potentially.
What goes around comes around with interest!
Stupify

Postby Hammer_Time » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:44 am

Ah you are making me think now!! :mrgreen: Too lazy right now, will reply later my young Padawan! 8) :D

Keep up your engineering studies, they will serve you well! :scout:
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:46 am

Stupify wrote:i was going to suggest going for the single 1x8GB simply because of their prices and eventual option to add another without wasting slots. the performance difference between single and dual channel isn't that drastic to matter - 5% max in most cases. as is as time pass by more and more memory is needed and so going for 2x4gb just uses extra slot forcing the future addition of memory to be a bit complicated potentially.

His recommend board, as well as the Asus one, both have 4 ram slots... I doubt he wants more than 16 GB hispeed ram in them.. :roll:

Every % counts these days...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:40 am

Memory is cheap.. but the 8 GB (2x4) I have installed is more then enough. At least to start with.
Fot CAD not much more is needed (but perhaps wanted).
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:46 am

Hammer_Time wrote:
Stupify wrote:i was going to suggest going for the single 1x8GB simply because of their prices and eventual option to add another without wasting slots. the performance difference between single and dual channel isn't that drastic to matter - 5% max in most cases. as is as time pass by more and more memory is needed and so going for 2x4gb just uses extra slot forcing the future addition of memory to be a bit complicated potentially.

His recommend board, as well as the Asus one, both have 4 ram slots... I doubt he wants more than 16 GB hispeed ram in them.. :roll:

Every % counts these days...

In OP's case, every cent as well..
Same for me :(
But did buy a dual core tablet this weekend! 16 GB storage, loaded with Android 4.1.1
Lots-o-fun!!
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby cruncx » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:53 am

OK, going with 2x4GB 1600 MHZ =]

The question now is... Should I buy Dominator? Or Vengeance would be just the same thing?
And yes, 16GB would be the max I would ever use, in like, 4~5 years i guess :D

Thx for all the help!!

Hi again! xP
I did more research... And found that, in general, there is no perceptible difference between 1333MHZ~2133MHZ :shock: :shock:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4503/sand ... est-ddr3/6
I really didn't expect this... - or there are new charts showing otherwise? This bench was made for Sandy, not Ivy Bridge afterall...

So, having this in mind, i thought: well... why not use the money in more 1333 ram instead of 1600 then?

I would like to know your oppinions about this...
I see this options right now:

2x 4GB 1600MHZ Corsair Vengeance (total: 77 bucks)
http://www.navenet.com/home/mostra_prod ... uto=158245

or

4x 4GB 1333MHZ Kingston "Generic" (total: 74 bucks)
http://www.navenet.com/home/mostra_prod ... uto=157480

Well, I'm aware that there is no comparison from Corsair to Kingston Memories...
But that benchmark confused me! :?

So, what do you guys think about it?

Tgx for all the attention!!
cruncx

Postby Hammer_Time » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:14 pm

Sounds good...2 x 4 GB...

While you are correct, there is not much advantage in having ram faster than 1333 Mhz for your intended primary purpose of gaming, there is still some advantage to faster ram ( overall system performance and certain apps that are memory-bandwidth sensitive ). Since ram is fairly cheap these days and 1600 Mhz kit costs the same as 1333 Mhz kit in general - at least here in North America it is very affordable ( very popular ) , why not go for the faster ram... you would not notice the difference between 1333 Mhz and 1600 Mhz in most cases ( gaming ) but might as well get the fastest ram you can afford within budget...

Too bad you have to pay nearly double the price we pay for ram:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820233144

There is nothing wrong with the Kingston 1333 Mhz 4 x 4 GB kit ( 16 GB total ) you listed, but since the Corsair Vengeance 1600 Mhz 2 x 4 GB ( 8 GB total ) kit you listed only costs $3 more ( from where you are buying it from down there ) , then why not splurge and get the Corsair ram...only $3 and 8 GB is more than enough for just gaming use..that way when you add another kit of the same down the road ( when prices drop or you find it on sale in Brazil ) to give you 16 GB total, you will have it all running at 1600 Mhz together...4 x 4 GB sticks... or perhaps 8 GB will be "enough" for your gaming needs for the lifespan of this computer...but the option is there of course to add more am if you feel you need it.. current games barely take advantage of 2 GB ( since they are mostly console ports ) and this won't change till the Xbox 720/Next is launched Christmas 2013... so 8 GB is kind of overkill if gaming is the most stressful thing you will use your computer for, but sure does not hurt to have that much if you are a heavy multitasker or plan to do a bit of Photoshop work etc ( loves lots of ram ). Cheers! ( I am still running 4 GB of 1333 Mhz here, will get 8 GB of 1600 Mhz kit ( or faster depending on price of course ) when I upgrade my whole system eventually, but for now even 4 GB is "enough" for all modern games, never run out of ram while gaming ).

Also, do you intend to overclock your cpu at all? It is recommended to have higher speed ram to match an overclocked Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge cpu... it helps in overall system performance/memory performance to have higher speed ram especially if overclocking these families of cpu...

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/bul ... 09-13.html

Still, the best reason we can think of to buy high-end memory is to show off a big overclock.

Since high-speed memory only provides a marginal performance benefit to a small number of all the applications on your PC, we can only recommend the step up to a subset of enthusiasts willing to pay that extra money. At the end of the day, you will need to be the judge of whether or not the added expense is worth the marginal performance increase.

So tiny performance gains ( if any in some games , more in others, 3DMark 11 is a synthetic benchmark so you have to take its memory results with a grain of salt ) , but still gains!!

Still recommend 8 GB ( 2 x 4 GB ) Corsair 1600 Mhz over 16 GB ( 4 x 4 GB) of Kingston 1333 Mhz for your intended purpose of gaming, but go with whatever you think is best, either way you will still have a fast system... but if you intend to overclock your cpu then definitely go with the faster speed ram of course...EDIT: He is buying a "non-K" cpu so cannot overclock cpu anyways...never mind that point then..

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:21 pm

Seconded.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby cruncx » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:50 pm

Hmm, got your point Hammer.
But if the frequency isn't that matter at all, do you think it will be better if i get 2x4GB and wait?
For what I know from my country, it will be a loong road since its prices start to drop... And won't drop much!
So, is it really worth to wait? And, are u sure there is no problem with this "Generic" Kingston memories? - Sorry, I'm "lay" on RAM Memory subject...

Anyone else have other opinions? Or even the same? :P
cruncx

Postby Hammer_Time » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:04 pm

Ah, I forgot that you are not getting a "K" series cpu ( unlocked for overclocking ).

The cpu you listed:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819115233

So no need to worry about overclocking the cpu then...

if price really is a factor then you will be fine with Kingston 1333 Mhz kit for gaming, even 2 x 2 GB ( 4 GB ) total would be enough to start with for now, then add more later on... ram prices won't get cheaper here ( they are predicted to rise slightly actually ) but since you pay such a high markup on computer parts down in Brazil you might get lucky and see the Corsair series go on sale there at some point... but who knows? I see your point, you have to pay way more for parts than we do so it is unrealistic to expect any kind of sale on it like we enjoy up here...1333 Mhz will certainly get the job "done" for you, cheers!

Kingston "generic" ram is fine, as long as you don't intend to overclock it of course! ( I don't think you will ). If wanting to overclock your ram sticks, then you could benefit from the heatspreaders such as the ones on the Corsair Vengeance/Dominator series etc, and this more expensive ram kit is of higher quality of course and will overclock much better than any generic Kingston memory...but if you intend to run it at its rated speed of 1333 Mhz then it will work fine for you...Kingston ram is "decent" when it comes to reliability these days, middle of the road ram so to speak..

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby cruncx » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:21 pm

Yeah, i don't intend to OC my CPU, so i wanted to spend less bucks in the "withou-k-model"...

Guess I'll get 2 x 8GB then from Kingston =]
And, finally, my PC configuration is done
Will buy it at Paraguay at January 6~10...

Thanks, Sauron_Daz and specially Hammer_Time for all the help! :D

Maybe, in a couple of months, any of you will have the "opportunity" - sarcastic mode - of helping me doing my first OC ever - on the radeon 7970 :twisted:

Cya guys!

P.S. any other hints on any of the components? Or are they fine? just in case xP
cruncx

Postby Hammer_Time » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:30 pm

Sounds good cruncx!! :D You are very welcome of course, and your English is not too bad at all! :scout:

All looks good now...rest of your components that we did not discuss ( such as the case ) look fine, enjoy!!

Look forward to hearing how your build goes once you assemble it next month...cheers!!

One of my coworkers ( pc tech ) many years ago came from Brazil with his parents to live and work here in Canada, he told me about the joys of Brazilian Churrasco down there:

And of course the Brazilian Beauties that inhabit your beaches!! :licks: :D

:D

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby cruncx » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:40 am

Haha, yeah, thats true!
Of course that not all the women around here as such beauties as the ones from the photos...
But I have to agree with the Churrasco (Barbecue), as i heard allot of times already from people that went abroad and people who came here from another countries saying that we probably have one of the best cookery of the world =D

Why don't you come by and pay a visit during the next world cup? =]

You can be sure that I'll post about my building!
Just to compare, my current pc is something like:
Asus P5KSE
Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4
Geforce GT430
"Generic Non-RMS" 400W PSU
2 x 500GB HD
2 x 2GB "Generic" DDR2 Memory - don't remember the frequency
and a Dr. Hank simple pc case

This PC is making 5 years at the beggining of 2013! :lol:
Since i bought it, had to change 2 motherboards -both "burned"- and the graphic cardlast year - i used to have one that didn't even have any cooler... just a sink xD
Attachments
copa-2014-logo-fifa.jpg
copa-2014-logo-fifa.jpg (44.67 KiB) Viewed 2753 times
cruncx

Postby Hammer_Time » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:27 am

You Brazilians sure like your futebol/soccer!! 8) :scout: Will have to keep Fifa 2014 in mind! :D

If I make it down for FIFA 2014 I will wear this hat:

I am still rocking an old Intel Q9400 ( Core 2 based ) quad here as well, lol... its "fast enough" for my needs for the time being, but would like to upgrade whole system in a year or so... cheers!

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Silver » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:24 am

If your budget can affoard it.. but going by newegg prices if you can find something simmilar..
then I would say go for 16GB. Doesn't hurt to have slightly more ram than you think you need :)

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-16GXM $65

cruncx wrote:Yeah, i don't intend to OC my CPU, so i wanted to spend less bucks in the "withou-k-model"...

Guess I'll get 2 x 8GB then from Kingston =]
And, finally, my PC configuration is done
Will buy it at Paraguay at January 6~10...

Thanks, Sauron_Daz and specially Hammer_Time for all the help! :D

So much for answering too late :incoming:
Specs:

Intel Core i7 4930K, Kingston 32GB
ASUS GeForce GTX 770 4GB, ASUS P9X79

Aiming for impossible goals forces thinking beyond mere extrapolation of existing achievements.
Silver
X-bit Guru

Postby cruncx » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:02 am

Haha, no problem Silver!
Thx for you oppinion anyway!

And Hammer_Time...
There DO are some Brazilian that doesn't like soccer that much... I myself am one of this cases xD

But, there surely is a bright side on everything, isn't there?
cruncx

Postby Hammer_Time » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:22 am

:D yes, a silver lining in every cloud!! :mrgreen: :scout: :lol:

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Next

Return to Platform