Moderators: CPUagnostic, MTX, Celt, Hammer_Time, Sauron_Daz, Tacitus, Anna

[MOTHERBOARD CHOOSE] ASUS Maximus V Gene or GIGABYTE GA-Z77X

Postby cruncx » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:14 pm

Hi guys!
I'm building a new CPU...
And it will be composed by:

core i5 3570
2x 4 GB 1600MHz Corsair Dominator
Radeon 7970 Black Edition Double Dissipation, from XFX - not OC at first, but probably in a year
2.0TB Seagate Green Barracuda HDD
PSU ATX 800W REAL CORSAIR GAMING GS SERIES
Case: Corsair 300R

The only question i still have is... wich motherboard?

Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H LGA 1155
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/produc ... id=4139#ov

OR

Motherboard Asus MAXIMUS V GENE
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_ ... us_V_GENE/

P.S.: I can choose only between this 2 mobos...
THX!
cruncx

Re: [MOTHERBOARD CHOOSE] ASUS Maximus V Gene or GIGABYTE GA-Z77X

Postby Hammer_Time » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:00 pm

Welcome to the forums! Where are you buying from ( Newegg.com etc. ) ? That will help us help you decide which mobo to get...with pricing a factor of course...

Your components look fine but I would strongly recommend against the Barracuda GREEN 2.0 TB drive as the primary ( OS and apps ) drive in your system... it is slow compared to other 7200rpm HDD's and super slow compared to SSD's! ..only 5900 rpm!!! It is only meant for data storage, not as primary system drive!! Your system would be very sluggish if you used that hdd as your OS/apps drive...

http://www.quietpc.com/st2000

Big capacity, high speed SATA interface, low noise and power consumption: The Seagate Barracuda Green is an excellent choice of drive for anyone who needs a large amount of storage at a low price.
These days, for fastest performance most customers choose SSD (solid state drives) since they operate quickly and silently. However, their cost per gigabyte is still very high and so customers who need high capacity storage often find that a conventional spindle-based hard drive still offers tremendous value for money. In this situation, we would highly recommend Seagate's Barracuda Green drive because it offers a huge two terabyte capacity at a very attractive price point.

Unusually for a spindle hard drive, it has the newer SATA-3 interface which operates at twice the theoretical speed of SATA-2 (6Gb/s rather than 3Gb/s). This ensures that the drive itself is the data throughput bottleneck rather than the serial interface cable. It also has a large 64 MB cache which further improves performance.
As its name suggests, the Barracuda Green is designed to be very eco-friendly, being manufactured from a minimum of 70% recycled materials, and using a very thrifty 5.8 watts of power whilst in operation. In idle mode it uses just 4.5 watts and when in standby / sleep mode, a mere half a watt.

Features

High capacity spindle hard drive offering incredible value for money
SATA 6Gb/s and 64MB cache for sustained transfer rates up to 144 MB/s
5900 RPM spin speed for low power consumption and noise level
Environmentally friendly product made from over 70% recycled materials
Reduced power usage and heat output increases the drive's useful life

It is a good drive for data storage, but not for a system drive!!

If budget allows, why not put in a fast 120 GB SSD flash drive for your primary drive ( OS and apps ) , they are on sale for around $100 range these days ( fast models ) and keep the Barracuda Green 2 TB drive for your data... then you have speed AND storage capacity! :D

Also, your proposed system does not "require" a 800 Watt psu ( unless you are planning to add another 7970 card in Crossfire mode in the future ), just get a cheaper 600 Watt unit ( even 550 Watt quality brand name psu would be "enough" for your proposed system, but might as well add safety buffer here and get 600 Watts ( or 650 ) depending on what is available to you and pricing of course...
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby cruncx » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:52 am

Hi, and thx for your reply!
About the PSU, i guess I'll stay with the 800W because of the Bronze certified... As the only other Bronze is 750W and just 5 USS cheaper...
I'll buy it at Paraguay - I, myself, live in Brazil.
Here is the site of the store I'll buy from:

http://www.navenet.com/home/
or
http://www.master10.com/ - but, the search engine is pretty bad...

so I think its better to search by using this

http://www.navenet.com/home/lista/ListaNave.pdf
and
and our frind ctrl + f =]

About the price of the motherboards... The difference between them are only 2 USS for me, so its the same thing... which one would you suggest then?
I really can't buy an SSD right now... Will think about in in some months, when I'll have more resources.
So, what if I used any of this HDDs as my primary decide:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822152052

or

http://www.superwarehouse.com/Seagate_B ... /p/1555299

Would it be better? Because i already have this ones at my current CPU...

And again, thanks to your reply!

I'm sorry if there are too many grammar errors on my writing, it has been some time since I practice it...
cruncx

Postby Hammer_Time » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:40 am

You are welcome of course. Understood about your 800W psu pricing, agreed.

I searched your navenet site link for hard drive pricing...

The Samsung 7200rpm 500 GB drive would be faster than the 5900rpm Barracuda Green, but it only has 16 MB of cache. ( 32 MB would be better for this small budget drive ).

That Samsung drive would cost you the equivalent of $55 USD

The Seagate Barracuda Green 2.0 TB drive you were initially considering would cost you the equivalent of $100 USD...

How about a compromise in price here? I recommend this one:

http://www.navenet.com/home/mostra_prod ... uto=157833

HD SATA3 3.5'' 1000GB SEAGATE 7200RPM 64MB SLIM

U$ 74.90

It is 1.0 TB 7200 rpm drive with 64 MB cache...for $75 USD ... so its price is right in the middle of your high/low prices above, and it has a full 64 MB cache for good performance, and 1 TB of storage space, also between your small/large drives above.. a good compromise here methinks.

Since there is only a $2 difference between those 2 mobos you linked to, I would recommend the full ATX Gigabyte board you linked to over the Asus Maximus Gene V micro-ATX board you also linked to.

X-bit Labs review on that Asus board is "middle of the road" so to speak:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mainbo ... html#sect0

Both brands are very well known ( good in general ) and offer 3 years warranty.

I prefer full ATX size boards over micro-ATX boards in general ( more space on the board makes it easier to work with, and more slots / connectors on the larger board ).

The Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H mobo is also an excellent overclocker , it broke a world memory record not too long ago:

http://www.gigabyte.com/press-center/ne ... x?nid=1126

Taipei, Taiwan, May, 30th 2012 – GIGABYTE TECHNOLOGY Co. Ltd., a leading manufacturer of motherboards and graphics cards, today announced the record highest validated CPU clock speed on the Intel® Core™ i7 3770K processor using a GIGABYTE Z77X-UD3H motherboard, as well as the new world record highest DDR3 memory speed using the GIGABYTE Z77X-UD5H motherboard.

The 7.0 GHz milestone was surpassed using an Intel® 3rd generation Core™ i7 3770k processor (aka Ivy Bridge) by renowned overclocker HiCookie, pushing the GIGABYTE Z77X-UD3H motherboard to a fully validated 7.03 GHz using liquid nitrogen cooling. This is regarded as the current #1 highest Ivy Bridge CPU frequency and a world record according to respected global overclocking website HWBot.org.

Additionally, HiCookie has broken the current highest memory speed for the Intel® Ivy Bridge platform, reaching an unprecedented 3280MHz with all 4 memory slots populated using the GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboards and G.Skill Trident X DDR3-2800 memory - also a new world record. This new record was achieved thanks in part to GIGABYTE’s engineering prowess and tried-and-true memory tuning capabilities.

“These new world records highlight our belief that top notch quality and design deliver truly world-class, record breaking performance,” commented Tim Handley, Deputy Director of Motherboard Marketing at GIGABYTE. “These new performance achievements come at a very opportune time as we prepare to introduce our next generation high-performance CPU power zone at Computex 2012, and we’re expecting even better results from motherboard models with this new feature!”

Validated World Records – Because Seeing is Believing
These new world records announced today have been fully validated by CPUz and Canard PC, considered the standard validation mechanism for overclockers worldwide.
Check out these new world records on HWBot.org by following the links below:

Even if you do not plan to overclock your cpu or memory at all, it is still nice to know the board is capable of it... solid quality!! Gigabyte FTW here!! :scout:
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby cruncx » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:47 am

Thx again for your help!

I see the difference in the HD's... yes, that one should fit by now =]

But I was taking a look, and I think they mistaken the name of the "Green Barracuda"... it actually is the http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822148834
If it is the real HD, do you think it is OK to buy it?
Its a 7200 rpm actually, not 5900...

And sorry but, what about the motherboard?
I think u wanted to ctrl+c + ctrl+v its name but the ctrl+v didn't work out xD
cruncx

Postby Hammer_Time » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:20 am

Ah, yes, I see what you mean about the HDD not being a "Green" drive...

That drive you linked to on Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822148834

Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Has some pretty bad customer reviews if you go through all the "Feedback" reviews ( 30 pages )... this drive uses 3 platters, not two, is noisy from the 6 read/write heads ( 2 per platter, top and bottom of platter = more noise, more heat, more chance for failure compared to the two platter/ 4 r/w heads version which you cannot buy anymore ) and has atrocious failure rates ( around 50% if you go by those Feedback reviews.. that is probably an exaggeration of this model's "actual" failure rate but still, not good... ).

I think you are better off going with the Slim ( single platter/2 head ) Seagate 1.0 TB 7200rpm 64MB cache drive I linked to previously on your navenet site.. it is a much more reliable drive , runs cooler, less heat, and less drive heads to park... and its $25 cheaper!! Save a bit of money and add another one down the road, or get an SSD for primary drive in the future...

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... pNo=744346

Seagate ST1000DM003 Barracuda 1TB Hard Drive

Gear up your gaming system with an enormous storage device; the Seagate ST1000DM003 Barracuda 1TB Hard Drive. With its 1TB capacity, it can accommodate multiple games as well as all of your favorite multimedia files. It's 7,200 RPM performance and SATA III support allows you to maximize the capability of the device, suitable for intense and fast-paced action. Seagate's AcuTrac servo technology delivers dependable performance even with track widths of only 75 nanometers, while the OptiCache technology accelerates the overall functioning by up to 45% over the previous generation. The Seagate ST1000DM003 Barracuda 1TB Hard Drive can also be used on systems needing large storage devices like home servers and RAID desktops.

What It Is And Why You Need It:

1TB HDD; stores a vast number of files as well as large applications and programs
SATA III support; allows you to achieve fast data transfer rates using the latest bus interface
AcuTrac servo technology; delivers reliable and dependable performance
OptiCache technology; boosts the device performance for better responsiveness

Out of 172 buyer reviews on that site, they rated this 1.0 TB Slim drive an average of 4.5 out of 5 stars overall, and that includes reliability!! :D

This British site says same thing about this drive, 9/10 overall rating by many customers ( 156 reviews ) !! :

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/1tb-seag ... ms-ncq-oem

Regarding motherboard, I finished editing my post above, please check it...( Gigabyte FTW! :wink: ) For The Win :D

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby cruncx » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:00 am

Wow... thx alot!
So, i guess... GIGABYTE FTW!!

I really appreciate all the attention you gave me, and I'm sure i'll gave only good benefits from this mobo =]

Thx again!
cruncx

Postby Sauron_Daz » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:36 am

I'll take Gigabyte over Asus anytime.
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:44 am

Hammer_Time wrote:
Seagate ST1000DM003 Barracuda 1TB Hard Drive

Gear up your gaming system with an enormous storage device; the Seagate ST1000DM003 Barracuda 1TB Hard Drive. With its 1TB capacity, it can accommodate multiple games as well as all of your favorite multimedia files. It's 7,200 RPM performance and SATA III support allows you to maximize the capability of the device, suitable for intense and fast-paced action. Seagate's AcuTrac servo technology delivers dependable performance even with track widths of only 75 nanometers, while the OptiCache technology accelerates the overall functioning by up to 45% over the previous generation. The Seagate ST1000DM003 Barracuda 1TB Hard Drive can also be used on systems needing large storage devices like home servers and RAID desktops.

What It Is And Why You Need It:

1TB HDD; stores a vast number of files as well as large applications and programs
SATA III support; allows you to achieve fast data transfer rates using the latest bus interface
AcuTrac servo technology; delivers reliable and dependable performance
OptiCache technology; boosts the device performance for better responsiveness

Out of 172 buyer reviews on that site, they rated this 1.0 TB Slim drive an average of 4.5 out of 5 stars overall, and that includes reliability!! :D

This British site says same thing about this drive, 9/10 overall rating by many customers ( 156 reviews ) !!

That's a candidate for my next build!
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby cruncx » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:37 pm

Hmm, Gigabyte and 1TB Barracuda FTW then! thx guys!
Only thing left yet to be decided now will be the Memory on the other topic...
cruncx

Postby Hammer_Time » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:11 am

Most welcome of course...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:12 am

And thanks for Brazilian babes!! (in the other thread)
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Return to Platform