My New Laptop

Forum for general hardware discussions. If you don't know, where your question belongs, it is the right place to go.

Moderators: CPUagnostic, MTX, Celt, Hammer_Time, Sauron_Daz, Tacitus, Anna

My New Laptop

Postby veli05 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:31 pm

So I broke down and got a laptop a little earlier than anticipated due to the holiday deals. Here it is:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834256348

Unboxed it last night and got the bloatware off it. Bottlenecks pretty badly with that 5400 rm drive, and compared to my ssd powered desktop it is snails pace for multitasking the uninstalls and downloads and the like.

It obviously has win8 which I am going to keep around to play with until I get a ssd and throw 7 on it later on down the road. Not as bad as I though it would be, I have not touched metro and just lived on the desktop side so far. Control panel took a few extra steps to find but nothing overtly rediculous.

For $479 plus shipping ($500 total) I am very much impressed. It is big, going to need to get a new back pack to carry the cooler and the laptop in one go, but as I always say go big or go home. :lol: :whistle: :mrgreen:
veli05

Re: My New Laptop

Postby Stupify » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:43 pm

100mbps LAN only, really!?!?? Even in this day?!?!!??!

i may overlook no eSATA (very useful for few things) given USB3.0, but the size (17.3" and yet not 1080p screen) and weight is a major turn off. But then again $479 for the full package seems decent.
What goes around comes around with interest!
Stupify

Postby veli05 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:58 pm

This is a light use gaming and mobility rig for me though. I have a desktop for the heavy duty stuff and having my games playable for a weekened at a friends house with this laptop is more convient than lugging the desktop around you know. Was not wanting to drop serious cash into a laptop because .. it is a laptop, desktops are superior anyways.
veli05

Postby Sauron_Daz » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:14 pm

Stupify wrote:100mbps LAN only, really!?!?? Even in this day?!?!!??!

It has 300 mbps wireless..
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:55 am

17" screen and Radeon graphics, nice!! Yeah its a bit heavy but 17" laptops are typically heavier than 15" ones and the weight does not seem to bother him too much. Nice looking "sparkly black finish" ( as hp calls it ) too!

This will give you a chance to muck about with W8 ( till you buy the SSD and throw W7 on it as you mentioned, great idea that! ) and see how much you hate W8, or if there is actually anything you like about the new OS... see what all the "fuss" is about.. :wink: :D

Overall seems like a nice laptop for the price, enjoy!! 8)

I see there are no Newegg customer reviews on this new model just yet, you can be the first perhaps! :wink:
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:27 am

I suppose he didn't buy a 17" one with mobility first in mind..
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:57 am

not "much" mobility most likely! :)
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby veli05 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:36 pm

I will need to purchase a new bag and sleeve for transport because my existing laptop back pack is too small LOL but I will bring it to the occasional trip to my parents house and the inevitable hangout with my friends in that area. So yes it won't be my road warrior latop that is for sure. I will take it on rips too of course, but I have a company provided 15.6 inch that goes back and forth to work with me daily so I am used to the larger side of the laptops.

I see there are no Newegg customer reviews on this new model just yet, you can be the first perhaps!

Yes I could be the first which would be a good thing to help the consumer community for newegg for sure. No complaints physically about the laptop and I do have to say I spent like a hour staring in awe at the new win8 task manager last night while installing and updating things. That so far is the coolest feature of the OS I have seen so far, VERY detailed info there and seems pretty accurate in a real time sense too.

Got to see the drive sit at 100% utilization most of the time with it and I was laughing to myself the entire time. Youtube was stuttering because of it lol. Audio is impressive for a laptop as well. Got the laptop lenght bar at the top and it was surprisingly crisp when the videos were not studdering, good volume too.
veli05

Postby Hammer_Time » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:10 pm

Pro: Altec Lansing dual speakers with Dolby Advanced Audio

Con: 5400 rpm hdd as you mentioned... once you get an SSD into that thing it will transform it methinks! 8)

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:56 am

Judging for what the ExpressCache is doing to my system, that's a big YES IT WILL.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:39 pm

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:16 am

:lol:
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby veli05 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:47 pm

After a shipping mishap (wrong address on my part, but UPS actually left the kit at the wrong address with the first delivery attempt :shock: :?: /facepalm) with a 8gb ram kit I got for the laptop I finally was able to crack the case and throw it in. Found it flawlessly in the os so I am 3/4's the way done with getting everything I want put together in the laptop. I had to get a new bag and sleeve for it because my existing bag is too small :lol: which is annoying to me but that is what I get for going with a 17" Worth it in my opinion :D
veli05

Postby Hammer_Time » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:30 pm

Whew, glad to hear it all worked out for ya! :D

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:13 am

veli05 wrote:After a shipping mishap (wrong address on my part, but UPS actually left the kit at the wrong address with the first delivery attempt :shock: :?: /facepalm) with a 8gb ram kit I got for the laptop I finally was able to crack the case and throw it in. Found it flawlessly in the os so I am 3/4's the way done with getting everything I want put together in the laptop. I had to get a new bag and sleeve for it because my existing bag is too small :lol: which is annoying to me but that is what I get for going with a 17" Worth it in my opinion :D

It wouldn't go in sideways? :mrgreen:
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Return to General Hardware Forum