Nvidia GTX 660 - Increasing AA no effect on frame rate? :?

Forum for general hardware discussions. If you don't know, where your question belongs, it is the right place to go.

Moderators: CPUagnostic, MTX, Celt, Hammer_Time, Sauron_Daz, Tacitus, Anna

Nvidia GTX 660 - Increasing AA no effect on frame rate? :?

Postby Leprekaun » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:48 pm

Hi all. Something that's puzzling me is the AA setting on my Nvidia GTX 660. With my older ATI GPU, increasing AA had a dramatic impact on frame rate but running the ingame benchmark of DiRT 3 with 0 AA and 8x QCSAA made no difference at all in frame rate which baffles me. I can definitely see a difference in image quality so the AA is working. But shouldn't I get much lower frame rates for using a higher AA setting? Or do Nvidia cards work differently?
MB: ASUS Z87-A LGA 1150
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k (Haswell) (@3.9Ghz)
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 3 (Single-Fan)
GPU: 2GB Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 670 (Windforce 3x)
Sound: Creative Fatal1ty Recon3D Professional
RAM: 16GB Corsair XMS3 CMX8GX3M2A1600C9 (@1333Mhz, 9-9-9-24, 1.65v)
Leprekaun

Re: Nvidia GTX 660 - Increasing AA no effect on frame rate? :?

Postby clone » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:05 pm

you had an old ATI card and you are comparing it to a brand new Nvidia card running a reasonably new game?

both AMD (formerly ATI) and Nvidia have introduced newer more efficient gfx cards that handle AA far differently (less resource intensive), especially in this case because Dirt 3 is a year old... outdated by today's standards and easily managed by lower mid range cards today from both AMD (formerly ATI) or Nvidia..... in this case it's the comparable AMD card (formerly ATI) that is superior to the GTX 660 because Dirt 3 was optimized for newer AMD (formerly ATI) hardware..... operative words being "newer hardware".

todays hardware is so far ahead of Dirt 3 that you'd have to render the game at "Ultra quality".... maximum everything at 2560 X 1440 resolution just to get it to show that it's working.
When we lose the right to be different, we lose the privilege to be free.
clone
X-bit Film Critic

Postby Sauron_Daz » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:15 am

Leprekaun wrote:Hi all. Something that's puzzling me is the AA setting on my Nvidia GTX 660. With my older ATI GPU, increasing AA had a dramatic impact on frame rate but running the ingame benchmark of DiRT 3 with 0 AA and 8x QCSAA made no difference at all in frame rate which baffles me. I can definitely see a difference in image quality so the AA is working. But shouldn't I get much lower frame rates for using a higher AA setting? Or do Nvidia cards work differently?

Running Dirt at what resolution?
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby clone » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:53 am

I was wondering that as well but it really doesn't matter given how easily todays cards handle the game and regardless the real question is what card was being used previously.
When we lose the right to be different, we lose the privilege to be free.
clone
X-bit Film Critic

Return to General Hardware Forum