Need some Help in setting up a Raid 1

Is your PC working properly? Not quite? Well, if you need help with computer-related problems, you'll get it here.

Moderators: CPUagnostic, MTX, Celt, Hammer_Time, Sauron_Daz, Tacitus, Anna

Need some Help in setting up a Raid 1

Postby Spawn_2_extreme » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:32 am

System Specs
Gigabyte H77M-D3H Motherboard
Core i5 2500k
2 x 4 GB Kingston Ram
Nvidia GTS 450
Windows 7 Pro
Crucial 256 GB Solid State Drive (M4)
WD 320 GB Hard-drive
WD 74 GB Raptor
(x2) 2 TB Seagate Hard-drives

- I bought 2 hard-drives recently, the 2 seagate drives, and I want to put them in Raid 1.

- Before I bought those HDD's I had set Sata selection to "AHCI". (Bios). I have the option between IDE/AHCI/RAID. If I select Raid, my system will fail to boot into windows, blue screen and then restarts. If I put it back into AHCI mode, it works fine.

- I created a Raid Array in the Raid configuration screen. In Windows 7 When I enter Disk Management, It shows a disk with an unallocated amount of ~1.8 TB.

- Am I to assume it's already in a Raid 1(Mirror). Also should I convert it to a Dynamic Disk? or should I just right-click the drive/volume and select new simple or new spanned volume?
Spawn_2_extreme

Re: Need some Help in setting up a Raid 1

Postby Fuzz » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:39 am

You need to run the fixit here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

then reboot, go to BIOS and select RAID. You should be good to go then.

I don't quite follow what you said about creating a RAID array int he configuration screen. Was that through Windows Disk management or the RAID controller's config?
It's not the penguins I hate, so much as the idea of penguins.
“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.” - Stephen Hawking
Fuzz
X-bit Penguin Hater

Postby Spawn_2_extreme » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:55 am

Dos based screen, well looks like it. gotta press Ctrl + I to enter it, after the bios pops up. That link worked, my bios is set to Raid mode now. The bios displays the status of my Raid volume now, before booting into Windows. My Computer doesn't display my new HDD yet.

Still not sure on the following:

-Should I go into disk management and create a simple volume, or does it have to be spanned?

- Convert to Dynamic Disk or keep it as Basic?

My Computer doesn't display the drive, shows as unallocated in disk management.
Spawn_2_extreme

Postby Fuzz » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:09 am

OK, that's the right spot to do it then.
It's not the penguins I hate, so much as the idea of penguins.
“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.” - Stephen Hawking
Fuzz
X-bit Penguin Hater

Postby Spawn_2_extreme » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:48 pm

Everything was working properly on my system, untill I decided to swap everything to a new case.

System boots up fine, everything gets detected, but my Raid 1 has been switched from Raid Member-disk to Non Disk.

Now when I load into Windows 7, I can see my hard-drive that was once raided, I can access all my files as normal, but I don't quite understand why it reversed, also thought if the raid was broken in anyway, my data would be gone.

I checked disk management, and for some reason I noticed the following

I can't even reactivate disk 2, when I right-click and select "reactivate disk" I get a message stating "the option is not allowed on the invalid disk pack" I get the option of converting the disk into a basic disk, but not sure if I should.

Before, when everything was working, I'm pretty sure windows saw only 1 of my 2 TB hard-drives.
Spawn_2_extreme

Postby Celt » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:32 pm

Did you reconnect the two disks on the same ports. I have seen this happen if you even swapped the drives on th ports. You should be able to recreate the RAID set in the controller though
You don't have to be a megalomaniac to moderate this forum . . . but it helps!
1123.6536.5321 - More than a number, it's our home!
Celt
SpamCrusher Mod

Return to Technical Support