Latest Adobe Flash player Update service crashes Windows!!

Forum for all sorts of software discussions. Operating systems, applications, utilities and other software are all here.

Moderators: CPUagnostic, MTX, Celt, Hammer_Time, Sauron_Daz, Tacitus, Anna

Latest Adobe Flash player Update service crashes Windows!!

Postby Hammer_Time » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:20 pm

Hi All,

My Windows 7 pc has been shutting itself off randomly for the past 2 days...it was working perfectly before...it got so bad my machine would shut itself down right after typing my Windows Password in to logon to Windows!! ( problem had gotten progressively worse ). Had to use Safe Mode for a while... grrr...

Ran various antivirus/antimalware scans, nothing... deleted Windows Temp folder files, nothing, ran system repair to correct any Registry errors and that did not help... uninstalled various programs trying to get it stable...spent hours and hours on this...

Finally decided to check Windows Event Viewer logs and finally found this error message:

"Adobe Flash Update Service has entered the stopped state"

I had Adobe Flash set to "auto-update" and it launched itself on Windows startup of course, so I used Windows Autoruns utility to permanently disable the Adobe Flash Update Service from launching... BINGO!! PROBLEM FIXED!!

System has been 100% stable after I did that, been up and running for a day now, gaming, torrenting, burning media, whatever... Windows is now happy just like before! 8)

So it was all Adobe's fault, and it is not the first time their stupid Flash player/autoupdate service has borked many an unsuspecting customers machine....

Others have found this same problem too as shown at the bottom of this thread:

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19411_102-5 ... al-update/

Adobe Flash Update

by mchainmchain - 8/10/12 12:29 PM

In Reply to: Share which update that was. by R. Proffitt

Adobe issued a bug fix on 8/2/2012.

This was to remedy a severe crash when Adobe automatically updated to a newer version.

Last time I had this happen, about a month ago, same exact symptoms, with Adobe on automatic update. Recovered, downloaded and manually installed that update. Set Adobe to notify only, so when this new update came in, I ran System Restore, just in case. At least I now had an option before I ran the update.

Bug fix was only to fix the severe installer issues if it applied to your system. No Security vulnerabilities were fixed at this time.

If Adobe caused it, this is not a Windows problem or Microsoft's fault. Microsoft cannot fix what they do not own or control.

While that post was made in August 2012, I didn't experience any problems until 2 days ago when Adobe had recently released yet ANOTHER Flash player update that I installed ( auto-notify )... and it sure as hell crashed my system badly...

I wish everyone could just use HTML5 instead of Adobe Flash, I wish Flash would die, but too many websites use it so that is not an option unfortunately...

If your computer has been crashing/shutting itself down recently, just disable the "Adobe Flash Update Service" and you will be fine once again!!

Shame on you Adobe!!! :fist: :fist: :fist: :fist: :fist: :fist: :fist: :fist:
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Re: Latest Adobe Flash player Update service crashes Windows!!

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:43 am

I always keep most auto updates off, most draw computer resources all the time for no good use, just wasting performance.

And not a single of your images are showing. :mrgreen:
This has been an objective and completely impartial message from the propaganda bureau of DIREWOLF75. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Location: Isthmus of Baldur (modernly known as Bollnäs), Sweden

Postby Hammer_Time » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:26 pm

Images show in my test browser, is your ISP blocking them somehow? Can anybody else view them?

Anyways, I have an update.. I spoke a bit too soon... while disabling the Adobe Flash Player Update service did indeed help things, and my computer did stay up and running for over a day here without crashing... it started crashing again this afternoon as soon as I went to youtube and started watching videos or clicking on youtube links to other videos... the problem is the latest Flash Player v 11.5....very very buggy with W7 64 bit in browsers other than IE...

Anyways got fed up with the crashing so formatted and installed Windows 7 SP1 64 bit fresh and got all the latest Windows Updates and reinstalled all my programs etc.

As soon as I installed the latest Flash Player 11.5 it again crashed windows as soon as I launched Youtube in either Chrome ( latest ) or Maxthon 3 or latest FF, and caused my computer to shut itself down... so I uninstalled Flash Player 15...

Then went to Oldversion.com to get an older working version of Flash Player that won't crash my damn system.. its not a Windows problem because I just did a fresh install of W7 on formatted drive , all windows updates, and only Youtube/Flash Player was crashing it..

You have version 11,3,300,271 installed

Go here:

http://www.oldversion.com/

Under the "Multimedia" heading, click on "Macromedia Flash Player" and pick the first one at the top of the list , that is what I used...

If you use Internet Explorer ( not a different browser like I do ) , then you need to pick the second version from the top of the list there... that version is designed for IE...

Adobe needs to have their autoupdater automatically detect which browser you are using to install Flash Player, so it does not automatically load the wrong version, and have it constantly crash your system!!! :fist: :roll:

BTW , Flash Player was made by Macromedia till Adobe started calling it "Adobe Flash Player" , same thing...

Anyways I installed that version listed above - it is compatible "Non-IE ( Internet Explorer ) browsers" !! It is working perfectly so far , watched many youtube videos in Chrome and Maxthon 3 browsers with no more crashing!! Yaaay, think I have finally got it perfect now... will now for sure by tomorrow, stay tuned... :?
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:05 am

is your ISP blocking them somehow?

My ISP is net neutral, doesn´t block stuff.
Testing a pic directly, that site completely fails to connect at all.
And the reason for that is because it´s included in my hosts file block since it´s an adware and malware site.
This has been an objective and completely impartial message from the propaganda bureau of DIREWOLF75. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Postby TAViX » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:13 am

Man, I keep telling the guys that FLASH and JAVA are THE WORST craps ever invented!!! everybody is saying that I am exaggerating, but in 95% cases of browser crashes the fault is because either of those 2. I am telling it from experience. Apple ditched already crappy Flash, Java is next. When is MS and Android going to do the same???
TAViX
X-Bit Gundarm

Postby Hammer_Time » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:15 pm

I agree, the only reason I use Flash at all is cuz so many websites still use it ( miniclip.com, I like to play some of their free online Flash games every once in a blue moon etc. ) but I cannot wait for Flash to become obsolete one day.. HTML5 is much better but will take years to replace Flash completely , if ever... it is just too prevalent on the web right now unfortunately...

Speaking of java, it does not crash my system but it DOES open up one's computer to hacker attacks/trojans/malware etc. Experts say that having java is one of the worst things you can do security-wise on a machine.. but again, many sites/apps use it and need it installed...argh...

Anyways my system is still up and running here since yesterday ... using the older NON-IE version of Flash Player ( 11.3.something ) has done the trick!

I opened all my various browsers and ran Peacekeeper benchmarks, playing Youtube videos continously in them, and no more crashes!!! 8) :D :scout:

Damn you Adobe for making me format my drive and reinstall Windows trying to "fix" what turned out to be your shitty sw causing all my woes ( latest version 11.5 that you "autoupdated" for me on my system ). :fist:

Adobe: FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!! :fist: :fist: :fist: :evil: :evil: :evil: :x :x :x :incoming:

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:27 pm

System still running rock solid here so far... 8)

BTW Tavix, can you see the images ( angry emoticons ) in my posts?

Dire, in order to view my images, you must first install FLASH and JAVA!!! :wink: :twisted: :lol: :lol: Muwaaahaaaahaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!! :whistle:

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:16 pm

System still has not crashed yet!! :D

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Silver » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:06 am

Images not visible here either.not even if i direct link them, trying to save a file didnt work either.. seems like a suspect site :P
Specs:

Intel Core i7 4930K, Kingston 32GB
ASUS GeForce GTX 770 4GB, ASUS P9X79

Aiming for impossible goals forces thinking beyond mere extrapolation of existing achievements.
Silver
X-bit Guru

Postby Sauron_Daz » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:29 am

DIREWOLF75 wrote:I always keep most auto updates off, most draw computer resources all the time for no good use, just wasting performance.

Me too.
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:29 am

Pics show just fine..
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:21 am

Hammer_Time wrote:Dire, in order to view my images, you must first install FLASH and JAVA!!! :wink: :twisted: :lol: :lol: Muwaaahaaaahaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!! :whistle:

Or remove the site from his host file block list :wink:
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:00 am

Sauron_Daz wrote:
Hammer_Time wrote:Dire, in order to view my images, you must first install FLASH and JAVA!!! :wink: :twisted: :lol: :lol: Muwaaahaaaahaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!! :whistle:

Or remove the site from his host file block list :wink:

And since the site is a KNOWN malware spreading site, that wont be happening.

Man, I keep telling the guys that FLASH and JAVA are THE WORST craps ever invented!!! everybody is saying that I am exaggerating, but in 95% cases of browser crashes the fault is because either of those 2. I am telling it from experience.

You´re not exactly exaggerating. But that does ignore their advantages.
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Postby Hammer_Time » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:09 pm

Okay okay, sherv.net is indeed a malware site, and apparently you can get a virus simply by viewing their animated gif emoticons! :shock: :evil:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 819AAMXHfg

Also, I just noticed that sherv.net added "funmoods emoticons" addon automatically to ALL my browsers without my permission!! Argh... sorry everyone... :oops:

I will now delete all sherv.net emoticons I used in this thread, and never use their site again.. apologies, I was unaware of this before..

Thanks for the info Dire! 8)

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:46 am

Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:15 am

Also, I just noticed that sherv.net added "funmoods emoticons" addon automatically to ALL my browsers without my permission!!

:mrgreen:
Warned you... :twisted:
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Postby Hammer_Time » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:41 am

I will be more careful about where I get my emoticons from in da future!! :scout:

Sauron:

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:27 am

Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:16 pm

:lol:

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:14 am

Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Next

Return to General Software Forum