OCZ back in the game!! :)

Discussion on HDDs, other storage solutions, sound cards and acoustic systems, peripherals.

Moderators: CPUagnostic, MTX, Celt, Hammer_Time, Sauron_Daz, Tacitus, Anna

OCZ back in the game!! :)

Postby Hammer_Time » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:49 pm

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/storag ... html#sect0

Conclusion

OCZ Technology is currently in a pretty challenging financial situation. However, luckily, everything they have been going through lately didn’t affect the productivity of the company engineers. OCZ Technology’s RND team managed to design a promising product, which has a very good shot at leadership in the consumer SSD market. The new Vector offers unprecedented performance and competes successfully against the best contemporary SSDs, especially in those usage scenarios that require writing large amounts of data.

I have to say that Vector’s performance looks particularly impressive considering that it is built with popular synchronous flash-memory manufactured using 25 nm process. It means that Vector owes its high speed exclusively to the Barefoot 3 controller, which allows manufacturing not only very fast, but also relatively inexpensive solid state drives. This is exactly why this new product can potentially improve OCZ’s current situation. Vector’s production cost is low, but the manufacturer has every reason to position it as a high-end product. Especially, since attractive performance is not the only feature of an expensive product: Vector comes with 5-year warranty and is bundled with very interesting accessories including Acronis True Image HD utility.

In other words, the consumer qualities of the new OCZ Vector put it on the same level as Plextor M5 Pro and Samsung 840 Pro (though we haven’t yet reviewed this drive on our site). However, the price of the new OCZ product is considerably more appealing, which may become a determinative factor in Vector’s favor. In this case it is crucial to ensure that there won’t be any critical errors or endless firmware updates that could potentially ruin the awesome impression from this product. Time will show what happens, but this time the probability of any potential problems seems to be really low. OCZ performed extensive pre-sale testing of the new Vector drives and promised to take good care of their users and fans and not to subject them to any shockers.

Summing up all the results of our today’s test session we are proud to award the new OCZ Technology Vector drive with our Editor’s Choice title. OCZ Vector is one of the fastest SSDs with SATA 6 Gbps interface with unprecedented market potential

Kudos!! Time will tell if these new Vector drives are "trouble free" , but I am liking what I am reading so far.. extensive testing, 5 year warranty etc. This controller is completely developed in-house by OCZ so they have full control over it and all its idiosyncrasies this time around. I am confident this drive will prove to be reliable and trouble-free... I am lifting my "boycott" of OCZ drives based on this review... I hope it proves solid as rock reliable.... great drive at a great price!! OCZ did everything possible here to reverse their negative reputation based on previous offerings, and my hat is off to them for this massive effort, and I wish them every success... a fast drive at a rock bottom price...very nice!
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Re: OCZ back in the game!! :)

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:47 am

OCZ Technology’s RND team

They keep a team just to produce random numbers? :incoming:

:mrgreen:

It´s R&D or RnD. Lol.

Hope OCZ gets back and makes quality stuff, RELIABLE and compatible stuff. They certainly have the potential for it.
This has been an objective and completely impartial message from the propaganda bureau of DIREWOLF75. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Location: Isthmus of Baldur (modernly known as Bollnäs), Sweden

Postby nosirrahx » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:18 am

I wish they had got this out before the 840 pro, would have had a much bigger impact and without question would have been the undisputed leader.
nosirrahx

Postby Hammer_Time » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:09 am

Better late than never!! Fast drive at a cheap price ( relatively ) ! Just hope it is a rock solid reliable as they claim it is...time will tell... but sounds good so far...
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby TAViX » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:09 am

Drive is fast, but how reliable is? Only time and reviews will tell.

Also as a sight note, I cannot fail to notice that ALL new drives are already capping the SATA 3 interface. Are the PCIex drives next option? Do they start to support TRIM and drive boot? questions, questions....
TAViX
X-Bit Gundarm

Postby nosirrahx » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:10 am

Also as a sight note, I cannot fail to notice that ALL new drives are already capping the SATA 3 interface. Are the PCIex drives next option? Do they start to support TRIM and drive boot? questions, questions....

Things are not as maxed out as they looks. Looking at the small random file transfers we still have a ways to go. If someone were to release a SSD that could do 300 megs on the 4k side of things it would feel like a much faster drive than what we have now even if the high end was the same.

Think of it as low end torque. Top end HP gives you great top speed but is not much help off the line. SSDs are lacking what is effectively low end torque currently although the speeds are starting to come up.
nosirrahx

Postby Hammer_Time » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:25 pm

Yes, SATA 3.0 ( 6 Gbps ) is only maxxed out for Sequential reads/writes right now... not for random read/writes as nosirrahx has pointed out above.

If you put a bunch of SSD's in RAID 0 then sure you can exceed the bandwidth of SATA 3.0, but not everyone does that! :wink:

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:43 am

DIREWOLF75 wrote:
OCZ Technology’s RND team

They keep a team just to produce random numbers? :incoming:

:mrgreen:

:lol: :lol:
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:50 am

Hammer_Time wrote:http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/storage/display/ocz-vector_9.html#sect0

Conclusion

OCZ Technology is currently in a pretty challenging financial situation. However, luckily, everything they have been going through lately didn’t affect the productivity of the company engineers. OCZ Technology’s RND team managed to design a promising product, which has a very good shot at leadership in the consumer SSD market. The new Vector offers unprecedented performance and competes successfully against the best contemporary SSDs, especially in those usage scenarios that require writing large amounts of data.

I have to say that Vector’s performance looks particularly impressive considering that it is built with popular synchronous flash-memory manufactured using 25 nm process. It means that Vector owes its high speed exclusively to the Barefoot 3 controller, which allows manufacturing not only very fast, but also relatively inexpensive solid state drives. This is exactly why this new product can potentially improve OCZ’s current situation. Vector’s production cost is low, but the manufacturer has every reason to position it as a high-end product. Especially, since attractive performance is not the only feature of an expensive product: Vector comes with 5-year warranty and is bundled with very interesting accessories including Acronis True Image HD utility.

In other words, the consumer qualities of the new OCZ Vector put it on the same level as Plextor M5 Pro and Samsung 840 Pro (though we haven’t yet reviewed this drive on our site). However, the price of the new OCZ product is considerably more appealing, which may become a determinative factor in Vector’s favor. In this case it is crucial to ensure that there won’t be any critical errors or endless firmware updates that could potentially ruin the awesome impression from this product. Time will show what happens, but this time the probability of any potential problems seems to be really low. OCZ performed extensive pre-sale testing of the new Vector drives and promised to take good care of their users and fans and not to subject them to any shockers.

Summing up all the results of our today’s test session we are proud to award the new OCZ Technology Vector drive with our Editor’s Choice title. OCZ Vector is one of the fastest SSDs with SATA 6 Gbps interface with unprecedented market potential

Kudos!! Time will tell if these new Vector drives are "trouble free" , but I am liking what I am reading so far.. extensive testing, 5 year warranty etc. This controller is completely developed in-house by OCZ so they have full control over it and all its idiosyncrasies this time around. I am confident this drive will prove to be reliable and trouble-free... I am lifting my "boycott" of OCZ drives based on this review... I hope it proves solid as rock reliable.... great drive at a great price!! OCZ did everything possible here to reverse their negative reputation based on previous offerings, and my hat is off to them for this massive effort, and I wish them every success... a fast drive at a rock bottom price...very nice!

OCZ is back!
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Return to Storage, Sound and Others