Samsung SSD 830 64GB - Blue Screen issue

Is your PC working properly? Not quite? Well, if you need help with computer-related problems, you'll get it here.

Moderators: CPUagnostic, MTX, Celt, Hammer_Time, Sauron_Daz, Tacitus, Anna

Samsung SSD 830 64GB - Blue Screen issue

Postby TAViX » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:36 am

Hi guys,
I bought 2 weeks ago a Samsung SSD 830 64 GB just for my OS. Once every 3 times when Windows 7 reboots, BSOD!!! :fist:

The SATA II port is configured as AHCI but on IDE BSOD once every 5 reboots....Last firmware on Samsung also.

Specs:

Asus P5Q Deluxe
Core 2 Quad Q9650
8GB Transcent AxeRam 1066Mhz
5870/5850 crossfire
850W PSU Corsair

Please help me Im getting nuts!!!
TAViX
X-Bit Gundarm

Re: Samsung SSD 830 64GB - Blue Screen issue

Postby Hammer_Time » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:33 am

Ouch, that is not good!! Since you have your SATA controller in AHCI mode already that rules out that possibility of failure here...

Found this googling:

http://techreport.com/review/22401/sams ... te-drive/2

Solid-state magic

Before sitting down to test Samsung's latest, I realized that I'd yet to hear any complaints about the company's SSDs losing data, bricking after firmware updates, or spitting out BSOD errors. Every major SSD maker seems to have been hit with one bug or another, and for a moment, I thought Samsung might be immune. No such luck. The release notes for the latest firmware list improvements to "compatibility and stability," and a prior update fixed a "blue screen, hang problem."

Samsung SSDs haven't been entirely devoid of issues, but we also haven't heard of any widespread problems. Perhaps that's because the drives and their firmware are more robust. Then again, it might be because the notoriously vocal enthusiast community has favored other solutions. There are only a few hundred user reviews of Samsung's 470 and 830 Series SSDs on Newegg. Meanwhile, the very same retailer has thousands of user reviews of just OCZ's latest SandForce-based SSDs.

But you already have the latest fw on your SSD... so that rules that out too...

Conclusion: Unfortunately you got a rare "lemon" from Samsung, if possible take it back to the retailer you bought it from for exchange, or if that is not possible, RMA it for warranty replacement immediately! There is no way to fix this drive since you have done everything correctly, sounds like you got very unlucky and got a rare lemon...

I guess you could try Samsung's Magician sw and do a "secure erase" of the drive and another fresh install of W7, but I doubt that will fix the problem, you can still try though if you feel up to it:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Har ... cian.shtml

You might also consider switching the SATA port the drive is on, and replacing the SATA data cable, but again, I doubt that is your problem, might be worth trying though...
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Re: Samsung SSD 830 64GB - Blue Screen issue

Postby Sauron_Daz » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:10 am

Agreed, the drive is a sour lemon..
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Return to Technical Support