Walmart workers walking off job on Black Friday

The Forum is the place to go for more serious non-computer-related discussions. The rules of conduct here are more strict than they are elsewhere on X-bit labs. Adult language should be kept to a bare minimum. All posts must be related to the topic thread.

Moderators: CPUagnostic, MTX, Celt, Hammer_Time, Sauron_Daz, Tacitus, Anna

Walmart workers walking off job on Black Friday

Postby Hammer_Time » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:53 pm

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/2 ... 75697.html

Walmart Strikers Prepare For Black Friday Protests Across Country

Why they are striking:

http://www.globaltvedmonton.com/money/6 ... story.html

Anybody who hates or does not understand unions ( yes they can and have abused their authority, but look at the eternal battle of workers vs management/owners with an unbiased eye first please ) should watch this movie!! :

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079638/

Union Movie: Norma Rae (1979)

viewer comment:

It seems like many of the opinions on this board are either pro or anti unions. My take is that it would entirely be based on the time and era that we are talking about. As a general rule, I do feel that unions are outdated in the U.S. and do more harm than good for all of the stakeholders involved, including the workers themselves.

However, it would be foolish to think that unions didn't contribute significantly toward the health and well being of workers (which were most of Americans) during the early to mid part of the 20th century. The idea of children working 6 days a week, 12 hours a days, for a pittance is not an ideal which any society should embrace.

This movie was made in the late 1970s when unions still had a strong presence in America, though they were on the decline. As such, it really isn't out of place and time. I can't comment on whether it was good for this particular factory because I don't know the facts and movies tend to be very biased. However, I wouldn't hold against it the fact that the factory ultimately closed down 20 years later. That is a long time and so much had changed in U.S. manufacturing that the factory would or certainly could have closed down regardless of whether it was unionized or not.

Word!! Notice that even though that person thinks that unions do more harm than good ( typical bias and in some cases it is quite true, but not in "every" case! ), he or she then goes on to state that:

"it would be foolish to think that unions didn't contribute significantly toward the health and well being of workers (which were most of Americans) during the early to mid part of the 20th century. The idea of children working 6 days a week, 12 hours a days, for a pittance is not an ideal which any society should embrace."
That is why the Walmart workers are walking off the job today ( Black Friday ) to protest their sad working conditions - minimum wages, bias towards men in management, paying men more than women for the SAME job/duties, and lack of benefits or being forced to pay outrageous premiums for simple health insurance, etc etc. The complete list of grievances is probably a lot longer, but those are the main reasons they are walking off the job and I for one support them!!

This is also a good movie about union organizing and greedy bosses, James Earl Jones is even in it!! 8)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093509/

Matewan (1987)

viewer comment:

I was keen to see another Sayles film after having recently watched
Sunshine State.

Matewan is on the surface a simple tale of greedy bosses and put-upon
workers. The setting for the film is the early 20th century American
town of Matewan, where the miners are treated appalingly by the
mining company. A strangers arives in town, and encourages the
workers to set up a union. Trouble, of course, is inevitable.

Sayles steers clear of most of the cliches of this kind of set-up,
giving us fully rounded characters and something a lot more subtle
than "goodies" and "badies".

If Walmart was not so damn greedy then their workers would not feel FORCED to unionize/organize and strike/walk off the job since management has rejected any and all of their grievances which is standard operating procedure here for Walmart since they first opened their doors. All management has to do here is bend a little and all this could be avoided...Walmart is turning America into China when it comes to working conditions... stepping backwards, not forwards... I am not saying they should double their wages or anything extreme like that, but would it "kill" Walmart to increase the wages slightly and offer proper and affordable ( relative to their wages of course ) health-care insurance etc!!??

Walmart profits and financial statements:

http://www.walmartstores.com/sites/annu ... cials.aspx

http://www.stock-analysis-on.net/NYSE/C ... fitability

http://www.wikinvest.com/stock/Wal-Mart_(WMT)/Data/Gross_Profit/2011/Q1

Walmart is a Fortune 500 company, and with all their billions in profit they could easily afford to give a "little" more back to their employees, greedy bastards!! :evil: :fist:

For the record, Target is just as bad as Walmart when it comes to its employees, check out these stories from ex-Target workers/management:

http://gawker.com/5805975/life-in-the-b ... yees-speak

I was an Executive Team Leader for a miserable year right out of college. It was the worst year of my life mostly because I wasn't cut out for retail and the horrible hours, but also because it just sucked. I worked a mandatory 50 hour week, but most of the time ended up closer to 60-65 especially around the holidays. I made less an hour than most of the Team Leads who were paid hourly when you accounted for how many hours I worked for my paycheck.

In regard to unions I remember being taken out of my daily duties to spend a day watching union training videos showing us how we should handle things should a union approach our store. We were told the union would have to get voted in at each store individually. I'm not sure if it was true, but other ETL's basically said Target would close a store that voted in a union and reopen another one.

A lot of the workplace culture at Target depends on the managers at a specific store and the tone they set. I have experienced both very good and very bad, but overall, between when I started and when I left this last time, there's been a shift in company culture. When I started [in 1996], the corporate slogan was "Fast, Fun & Friendly". And they did a pretty good job of living into that. It was a fun place to work, and it seemed like there was career potential.

Now the slogan is "Expect More. Pay Less." It's supposed to be a slogan for customers, but I encountered many employees who felt it applied better to how the company treated them...

I also remember one of my managers mentioning to me that Target Corporate has an "anti-union team" with its own jet, whose sole purpose it is to go into markets where union activity is rumoured, and work against it. Apparently working at a store where this is going on is a particular hell.

If for some reason I wasn't able to finish all my duties, we were threatened with a write up that would go in our permanent record (if one got enough rite up they could be fired) They also started showing anti-union videos at this point. We were told if we had any concerns that we could just go to our LODs (basically, managers) or HR and tell them but everyone in my group that watched the videos just laughed because we all knew that our LODs and HR had favorites and these favorites were often times that were mistreating the employees (cutting our hours, refusing to give us breaks, being flat out bitches) and nothing would ever be done.

The best part thought had to be around review time which fell in April. At this point your immediate supervisor (team leader) would write a report which was a critique of your work year. This is when all the things you've been doing wrong the past year comes up as a way to justify giving you such a low pay raise even if they had never critiqued your work during the actual year so that you could, oh I don't know, improve. My first pay raise that didn't coincide with California minimimum wage laws was $.25, the year after it was $.11 and during my last year it was $.8. Yes, after working at Target for almost five years I was making just making 44 cents more than someone who had just been hired. I knew at this point that I had to quit. Luckily a month later I found another job that paid significantly better and I quit this bitch

So I worked at Target for just a few months. I was victim of the shitty economy and had to do what I needed to barely stay afloat. Apparently having two degrees and a graduate degree relegated me to "lead cashier", but I digress. During my training I had to watch an anti-union video. It was awful. It was also humiliating. We like to think Target is better because aesthetically it is more pleasing but they treat their workers like crap. It's disgusting to see how they refused to pay someone an extra .25 cents even though they are in the horrid idea that is 'Food Ave'. The worst practice is 'encouraging' Target workers to open a Target credit card and use their shit wages to become further indentured slaves to their shitty concept of a store. I've seen the policies that result in the degradation of the human spirit. The idea that we should pay people a living wage and a safe workplace is beyond the likes of them. Target's motto: keep them stupid and poor and powerless.

And so it goes... the typical threat against unionization is always the same: "If you walk out or strike and try to unionize, we will simply close down this store and open another one elsewhere"...Unfortunately in this weak economy with so few jobs out there, this scare tactic works very effectively... but enough is enough!!

If ALL the Walmart workers walk off the job today, not just a few that are brave enough to risk their jobs, then Walmart cannot fire everyone ( cannot run Retail with no staff, takes time to hire and train new workers dontcha know ), and management will then be FORCED to deal properly with their workers... Go Walmart Strikers!! :twisted:
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Re: Walmart workers walking off job on Black Friday

Postby Sauron_Daz » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:52 am

We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:08 am

The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:08 am

Update:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2012 ... ack-friday

Walmart strikes result in arrests as store claims Black Friday sales success
Nine protesters detained in California as protest group co-ordinates action across US on busiest shopping day

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2012 ... protesters

Walmart hit by Black Friday strikes across 46 states, say protesters
Retail giant Walmart hit by protests and staff walkouts on Black Friday, the busiest shopping day in the retail calendar

Walmart is playing it down of course, but hundreds of staff protested in 46 states, their voices are being heard! 8)

He added that the retailer estimated less than 50 Walmart workers had taken part in the protests. "In fact, this year, roughly the same number of associates missed their scheduled shift as last year," Simon said.

But protesters disputed the retailer's numbers.

Dan Schlademan, director at lobby group Making Change at Walmart, said "hundreds and hundreds" of workers were taking action.

He said as a result of protests, Walmart workers had seen their employment terminated, threatened with having their hours cut and that the labor board was now investigating 35 specific violations of the national labor relations act.

Schlademan said more actions were planned for the holiday season. "This has been an amazing moment but we are just at the starting point of what we are doing," he said.

Mary Pat Tifft, an OUR Walmart member and 24-year associate who led a protest on Thursday evening in Kenosha, Wisconsin. said: "For Walmart associates this has been the best Black Friday ever. We stood together for respect across the country."

"Walmart has spent the last 50 years pushing its way on workers and communities. In just one year, leaders of OUR Walmart and Warehouse Workers United have begun to prove that change is coming to the world's largest employer."

"Our voices are being heard," said Colby Harris, an OUR Walmart member and three-year associate who walked off the job in Lancaster, Texas, on Thursday evening. "And thousands of people in our cities and towns and all across the country are joining our calls for change at Walmart. We are overwhelmed by the support and proud of what we've achieved so quickly and about where we are headed."

They are picking up momentum, Walmart will be sorry for not "nipping this in the bud" while they still had the chance to. I expect unionization to come to Walmart sooner than later, no matter how many employees Walwart fires over this, or threatens to fire... time for change...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/2 ... 77784.html

Walmart Strike Hits 100 Cities, But Fails To Distract Black Friday Shoppers

Posted: 11/23/2012 6:20 pm EST Updated: 11/24/2012 9:46 am EST

DALLAS and LOS ANGELES -- As she neared the entrance of a Dallas-area Walmart shortly before midnight on the eve of the shopping frenzy known as Black Friday, Tammy was both shocked and thrilled to encounter a group of more than 40 protesters.

Having worked for a dozen years as a cashier at another national retail chain, Walgreens, Tammy said she felt an immediate sense of solidarity with the Walmart employees.

"Walmart cuts hours and benefits to push people out," said Tammy, using her phone to capture video of the protest. "It's the same thing at Walgreens. The workers are suffering while billionaires make all the money."

But despite her professed anger at corporate greed, Tammy -- who declined to provide her last name lest she jeopardize her job -- was not deterred from entering Walmart to purchase a TV on a layaway plan. Her own low wages made her feel a sense of community with the striking Walmart workers, but those same wages also generated pressure to find and buy goods at low prices -- precisely the demand that Walmart has fed to turn itself into the world's largest retailer.

"You gotta go where the sales are," Tammy said. "Today at Walgreens every toy was half off. I had to work a 12-hour shift, and they didn't pay me enough. But I can't tell shoppers, 'Don't come in.' I'd lose my job."

Tammy wasn't the only passerby who felt sympathy for the Walmart strikers. In 100 cities across 46 states Thursday and Friday, the protesters were likely to be met by honks and fist pumps from cars as they waved signs and chanted outside Walmart stores. At the Walmart in Paramount, Calif., near Los Angeles, about 600 protesters, including an estimated 100 Walmart workers, turned out Friday morning. In Hanover, Md., 400 store employees, union workers, activists and other supporters showed up at a Walmart Supercenter Friday.

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:21 am

But will it help?
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:41 am

eventually methinks ... they have to start somewhere... hard to say though... the shitty economy strongly favours Walmart right now... ( lack of jobs )

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:26 pm

Maybe the management comes to their senses After these actions..
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:43 pm

probably not, but we can always hope!! :scout:

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby clone » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:41 am

But despite her professed anger at corporate greed, Tammy -- who declined to provide her last name lest she jeopardize her job -- was not deterred from entering Walmart to purchase a TV on a layaway plan.
roflmao ..... and you wonder why organized labor is losing while billionaires are winning.
Maybe the management comes to their senses After these actions..
given the above mentioned result.....doubtful, they are likely more emboldened than ever.

never ceases to amaze me how much others want others to fight and sacrifice in an effort to improve their lives.
When we lose the right to be different, we lose the privilege to be free.
clone
X-bit Film Critic

Return to The Forum