Window 8(Pro) installation+activation confusion.

Forum for all sorts of software discussions. Operating systems, applications, utilities and other software are all here.

Moderators: CPUagnostic, MTX, Celt, Hammer_Time, Sauron_Daz, Tacitus, Anna

Window 8(Pro) installation+activation confusion.

Postby mavericko » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:33 am

Just wanted to know if the "Windows 8 Pro" media as well as COA/Key provided by Microsoft as of now, on their website
at nearly 1/3rd the price of Win7Pro
can be used to install as well as successfully activate on an factory formatted sealed hard disk ???

The FAQ section in Microsoft's site is totally weird & does not seem to unambiguously cover this point.
See:
Why can't I activate Windows? (fixed the URL)

Edit:
Came across this page ..phew!
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/upgrade-to-windows-8#section_5
Purchasing a full version of Windows 8

If you want to build your own PC and install Windows 8 or Windows 8 Pro, or want an additional operating system running in either a local virtual machine or separate partition (including a Mac), you can purchase the Windows 8 or Windows 8 Pro System Builder products (OEM versions). If available in your country or region, Windows 8 and Windows 8 Pro System Builder products can be purchased at participating stores, you'll need to ask a sales rep for more information. This version does not include customer support.

What did MS mean by "full version" ? Does the phrase "full version" always = system builder/OEM version ? Does that mean that the upgrade version is not full version of the OS ?

So, in short, we need to buy the System builder version to install on brand new unused hardware!
and possibly a visit here: http://personaluselicense.windows.com/en-US/default.aspx
Any comments ????
ImageImageImageImage
“Focus is a matter of deciding what things you’re not going to do.†- John Carmack
mavericko
Expert

Re: Window 8(Pro) installation+activation confusion.

Postby Sauron_Daz » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:30 am

Your link "Why can't I activate Windows?" currently can't be activated. :lol:

Comment: was not going W8, this doesn't change that decision.
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Silver » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:29 am

Several people mentioned in other forums that Win 7 & Win8 upgrade discs could be used for a *clean install*.. first install on your new hdd, then use the same disc one more time to *upgrade* your new installation.. I have not tried this but it has been talked about in other forums.
Specs:

Intel Core i7 4930K, Kingston 32GB
ASUS GeForce GTX 770 4GB, ASUS P9X79

Aiming for impossible goals forces thinking beyond mere extrapolation of existing achievements.
Silver
X-bit Guru

Postby mavericko » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:33 am

Sauron_Daz wrote:Your link "Why can't I activate Windows?" currently can't be activated. :lol:

Comment: was not going W8, this doesn't change that decision.

URL updated!

Silver wrote:Several people mentioned in other forums that Win 7 & Win8 upgrade discs could be used for a *clean install*.. first install on your new hdd, then use the same disc one more time to *upgrade* your new installation.. I have not tried this but it has been talked about in other forums.

Did you mean something on the lines of ..
1) Have an new formatted disk
2) Install Windows 8 & choose clean install
3) Install Windows 8 & choose upgrade
4) Activation with MS becomes successful, without error 0xC004F061
??
ImageImageImageImage
“Focus is a matter of deciding what things you’re not going to do.†- John Carmack
mavericko
Expert

Postby Sauron_Daz » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:05 am

It says on the page you linked to (and fixed the URL of):
To install an upgrade version of Windows 8, you must already have Windows 7, Windows Vista, or Windows XP installed on your PC.

That's the way to prevent the error code.
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Silver » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:07 pm

Mavericko that is the idea.. but as I said I have not tried it.
Since I only have full versions of vista and win7.
Specs:

Aiming for impossible goals forces thinking beyond mere extrapolation of existing achievements.
Silver
X-bit Guru

Postby Hammer_Time » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:21 pm

You actually BOUGHT Windows 8 :!: :?: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:17 pm

:shock:
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby mavericko » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:27 am

BTW, Is it possible to differentiate between the System Builder and Upgrade variant from the packaging ?
ImageImageImageImage
mavericko
Expert

Postby Hammer_Time » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:48 am

Dunno

But for W7 users, MS has finally released an IE 10 preview!! 8)

http://www.zdnet.com/microsofts-ie10-fo ... 000007338/

DL it here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/inte ... se-preview

While I refuse to get W8, I am interested in seeing how IE10 runs on W7... I prefer Google Chrome of course as my primary browser, but want to see what IE10 is like...
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:30 pm

I'll download when the real thing is there.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:48 pm

Works okay so far , but have only visited a few websites with it, no probs so far... seems slightly snappier than IE9

I did run Futuremark's Peacekeeper browser benchmark on IE10 Preview and other browsers just now...

Results:

IE 10 Preview ( on W7 64-bit ) score: 1558

Google Chrome Version 23.0.1271.64 m score: 3099 !! :shock:

FireFox Version 17.0.1588 score: 1588

Maxthon Version 3.4.5.2000 score: 2790

I realize it is a synthetic benchmark so take with grain of salt. Confirms that Chrome is still faster overall, both in that benchmark and in my own subject experience...

While both IE9 and IE10 have sexy anti-aliased text and gorgeous colors/pics, it is still not the fastest overall browser.. it is decent, notice the latest FF score is nearly identical to IE 10 Preview score, but Chrome and Maxthon are very quick...

I tried to run that new Robohornet browser benchmark on IE 10 but it crashes, got stuck on one of the tests ( the 9th test iirc ), just hung there for 20 mins without going on to the next test... so obviously RoboHornet and IE10 don't get along so well right now so I gave up on the particular benchmark...

Short version is that IE10 seems a bit faster than IE9 but still not as fast overall as Google Chrome... at least that is my impression of it so far...

http://www.itproportal.com/2012/07/30/i ... nchmarked/

Desktop IE10

Heading over to the desktop version of IE10, you'd be hard pressed to detect any difference from IE9. Of course, the underlying page-rendering engines are the same new, faster, more standards-supporting ones used by the Metro form of Internet Explorer 10. As we'll see on the next page, there are performance differences, too.

Web apps, too, need more than simple web page display in order to be fully functional, and IE10's much-improved HTML5 support allows them to do nearly anything an installed application can. Finally, for all this to happen in a way that will please users, it's got to be fast. IE10 is fast, but it wasn’t the leading browser on most of my tests. And I was surprised that the desktop version made a better showing than the new Metro version. Perhaps this is because Microsoft has had longer to optimise the desktop version, or the Metro version introduces another layer on top of the OS kernel. In any case, this is not the last word, and optimisations often come along late in the development cycle.
There's no doubt that IE10 is the fastest, most web-standard compliant, and leanly interfaced version of Internet Explorer we've ever seen. And while it doesn't lead competitors like Chrome and Firefox on some of these measures yet, it's still pre-release software. I like the direction this browser is moving in, and, when the final version of Windows 8 arrives, Internet Explorer 10 may well top the leaderboard.

http://www.geek.com/articles/geek-pick/ ... -20121113/

Benchmarks, of course, don’t always offer an accurate representation of real-world performance — though Peacekeeper and RoboHornet were both built in an attempt to make automated browser tests more realistic. In actual use, however, IE10 is definitely quicker than IE9.

In short, it’s a great second effort from the new Microsoft — one that’s focused on standards compliance and competing with rival browsers for the performance crown rather than just letting its users schlep along on an outdated, proprietary app.

It was already easy to see that IE10 was Microsoft’s best browser yet on Windows 8, and now hundreds of millions of Windows 7 users can finally see how big an improvement it is, too.

Chrome still leads though overall.

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Silver » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:34 pm

browser speed is over rated :)
Specs:

Silver
X-bit Guru

Postby Sauron_Daz » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:07 am

Yea. I need much longer to read a page then it takes a browser to load it. :mrgreen:
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Return to General Software Forum