boot.wim, windows 8 and generic USB 3 drivers

Is your PC working properly? Not quite? Well, if you need help with computer-related problems, you'll get it here.

Moderators: CPUagnostic, MTX, Celt, Hammer_Time, Sauron_Daz, Tacitus, Anna

boot.wim, windows 8 and generic USB 3 drivers

Postby nosirrahx » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:14 pm

When I was testing modified windows 7 images I merged my Intel USB 3 drivers into boot.wim so that I could very rapidly install via USB 3 (takes about 3 minutes). This gets around both burning a new DVD and installing from DVD, both quite slow by modern standards.

I want to do the same in windows 8 but it seems that Intel is not going to make dedicated USB 3 drivers for windows 8 and the drivers included in windows 8 do not allow installing directly from Intel USB 3.

I need to know if anyone has isolated or knows of a download for the generic windows 8 USB 3 drivers so I can merge them into boot.wim.

FYI when I try to install windows 8 from USB 3 I get an error about missing drivers, just like I did for windows 7 before I figured out how to fix the issue for good by modifying boot.wim.

Thanks in advance.
nosirrahx

Re: boot.wim, windows 8 and generic USB 3 drivers

Postby Sauron_Daz » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:04 am

I don't think you'll find a lot of W8 users here, but someone may have an answer for you..
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby nosirrahx » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:09 am

Yeah it sucks that I even have to ask this. I would love to ignore windows 8 completely but work demands that I spend at least a little time messing around with it.

I actually do not expect there to be a fix for this issue. Reading over at the Intel forum it seems that even when you do get the 'universal' Windows 8 drivers working after install you wont get the same USB performance that you did in windows 7, at least on the Intel USB 3 controllers.

Something tells me that Intel is not supporting its own USB 3 controller in windows 8 for a very specific reason.
nosirrahx

Postby Sauron_Daz » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:04 am

Why would that be I wonder.. maybe they expect very low sales?
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby nosirrahx » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:49 am

Intel Thunderbolt, demand for it will increase if USB 3 does not get supported like USB 2 did.

You can read it right from Intel yourself:

Windows 8 has native in-box USB 3.0 driver. Intel is not releasing a specific USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller driver for Windows 8.

They are well aware that windows 8 support for Intel USB 3 is not that great, and they are not going to fix it. I cant think of any good reason to intentionally allow USB 3 to work like crap in windows 8 compared to windows 7 if not for wanting it to get out of the way of their next big thing.
nosirrahx

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:35 pm

nosirrahx wrote:Intel Thunderbolt, demand for it will increase if USB 3 does not get supported like USB 2 did.

You can read it right from Intel yourself:

Windows 8 has native in-box USB 3.0 driver. Intel is not releasing a specific USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller driver for Windows 8.

They are well aware that windows 8 support for Intel USB 3 is not that great, and they are not going to fix it. I cant think of any good reason to intentionally allow USB 3 to work like crap in windows 8 compared to windows 7 if not for wanting it to get out of the way of their next big thing.

If MS messed something up, then it could simply be too much work. It has happened before. And with USB3 already a major standard, Intel should know that they can´t ignore it out of existence, especially with Win8 not getting all that much sales.
OR, they can´t actually improve much over the native drivers for some reason.
This has been an objective and completely impartial message from the propaganda bureau of DIREWOLF75. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Location: Isthmus of Baldur (modernly known as Bollnäs), Sweden

Postby nosirrahx » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:01 pm

According to the people complaining on the Intel forum if you hack their Windows 7 drivers to work on Windows 8 you do get better USB3 performance which is no surprise at all. It is likely that their Windows 7 drivers don't work on Windows 8 because of nothing more than a data file saying that they don't.

This does not even annoy me all that much, I am way more annoyed that they neglected to add ANY support for USB 3 installing on an Intel port. I would not care if it was a little slower than optimal if it at least worked.
nosirrahx

Postby Hammer_Time » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:06 pm

Strange, wish Intel would release a specific USB 3.0 controller driver for W8... even though I never intend to use W8 if I can help it, a lot will so they should properly support it with a good driver...meh... good luck with it!!
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Fuzz » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:26 pm

I'm sure Win 8 has Thunderbolt drivers though :roll:

They dragged their feet on USB3 while they tried to get thunderbolt finalized. All the other manufacturers were way ahead of them, they probably have this way down the priority list.
It's not the penguins I hate, so much as the idea of penguins.
“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.” - Stephen Hawking
Fuzz
X-bit Penguin Hater

Postby Sauron_Daz » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:28 am

nosirrahx wrote:According to the people complaining on the Intel forum if you hack their Windows 7 drivers to work on Windows 8 you do get better USB3 performance which is no surprise at all. It is likely that their Windows 7 drivers don't work on Windows 8 because of nothing more than a data file saying that they don't.

This does not even annoy me all that much, I am way more annoyed that they neglected to add ANY support for USB 3 installing on an Intel port. I would not care if it was a little slower than optimal if it at least worked.

I thought thw W7 and W8 are similar 'under the hood', so this hacking may prove to be bery succesfull. And makes that Intel is showing its colors..
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby nosirrahx » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:53 am

I thought thw W7 and W8 are similar 'under the hood', so this hacking may prove to be bery succesfull. And makes that Intel is showing its colors..

Hacking the Intel inf files gets you full USB 3.0 speed in windows 8 (after you already have windows 8 installed) but I cant seem to get these hacked files to slipstream into boot.wim for windows 8, even when I use /forceunsigned.
nosirrahx

Postby nosirrahx » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:33 pm

Success :)

After messing around with this for about a week I finally was able to bypass all of Microsoft's and Intel's roadblocks and successfully install Windows 8 from USB 3.0 flash drive on an Intel USB 3.0 port, here is what I did.

I am going to assume that your root drive is C:, your optical drive is D: and your flash drive is E:. I am also going to assume that DISK 1 is your flash drive when we use DISKPART.

Create the following folder structure (the names are just for convenience for the most part):

C:\win8
C:\win8\mount
C:\win8\USB

Download THESE and extract them to C:\win8\USB. (search for WIN8_USB_3_11_12_MOD.zip if the link dies)
Copy d:\sources\boot.wim to c:\win8\boot.wim
Open an admin command prompt and enter the following line by line pressing enter after each line and waiting for certain functions to complete (none take that long):

cd\
cd win8
dism /mount-wim /wimfile:boot.wim /index:2 /mountdir:mount
dism /image:mount /add-driver:"USB" /recurse /forceunsigned
dism /unmount-wim /mountdir:mount /commit
diskpart
select disk 1
clean
create partition primary
select partition 1
active
format fs=ntfs quick
exit
cd\
d:
cd boot
bootsect /nt60 e:

Now copy everything from D: to E:, this is going to take a while due to DVD roms being slow as hell.
Now copy c:\win8\boot.wim to e:\sources\boot.wim replacing the file that was there with your new modified version.

Set BIOS/UEFI to boot from USB and you are done, installing Windows 8 from your flash drive should go off without a hitch and far faster than it ever would from USB 2 or DVD.
nosirrahx

Postby Hammer_Time » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:21 pm

Nice!!! Tx for the info! I have no need to try this yet, but am sure the situation will probably come up sometime in the future, now we know how to do it 8)
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:55 am

Well done!
Still think I'll skip W8..
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby nosirrahx » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:11 am

For personal use I am as well, I really hate the number of clicks it takes to do stuff. I also hate the steady number of 3rd party apps I need to install to regain XP native functionality that increases every OS. Since XP they have broken all of the following that I have needed to replace:

combine select and sort in explorer
file properties with copy support
a painless search function
start menu
nosirrahx

Postby Sauron_Daz » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:24 am

Then why did you install it?
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby nosirrahx » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:58 am

Work demands knowledge of it and testing on it :(
nosirrahx

Postby Sauron_Daz » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:36 am

Are they thinking of switching to W8?
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby nosirrahx » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:13 am

Oh nothing like that, our software needs to run on it perfectly. Our users will be using it, there is nothing we can do about that :P

That is the main reason I wanted to be able install VIA USB 3 BTW, because I don't have time to deal with DVDs. I do all image cloning/restoring and installing from USB 3.0 boot drive now because it is so simple and fast (until MS and Intel decided that was a bad Idea that is). I can install an OS or boot to Acronis and restore a cloned image in under 5 minutes, you cant go back once you make that change.
nosirrahx

Postby Hammer_Time » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:46 am

True... I have installed W7 from a USB 2.0 thumb drive, it is MUCH faster than using the DVD... I can only imagine how fast it would install off a USB 3.0 thumb drive! 8)

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Next

Return to Technical Support