AMD is up for sale!

Do you have anything to add to our daily newswire? Then comment on our news and post your news story here!

Moderators: CPUagnostic, MTX, Celt, Hammer_Time, Sauron_Daz, Tacitus, Anna

AMD is up for sale!

Postby Hammer_Time » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:03 pm

This comes as no surprise:

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/12/11/13 ... le-options

Bulldozer failed, top execs have fled the company en masse over the last 2 years, the only really good part of the company is their ATi graphics division of course...that has been rocking and rolling lately.... and still profitable...rest of the company is not...

It will be sad to see AMD bought up by another company, but business in the IT sector is brutal and a small company like AMD with limited resources stands no real chance against a goliath like Intel. AMD has had the writing on the wall for years now... when they get bought out, I hope they maintain their ATi graphics division ( now called "AMD Radeon division" ) intact and healthy...

Check this new card out!! :

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/11/12 ... _gpu_card/

AMD fires off crazy-fast FirePro double-whammy GPU card

Aimed at servers and heavy-duty workstations

By Timothy Prickett Morgan • Get more from this author
Posted in HPC , 12th November 2012 23:55 GMT

SC12 AMD, a company that knows a thing or two about building powerful graphics processors, has whipped out a card that has more flops than either Nvidia's K20 high-end GPUs or Intel's x86-based Xeon Phi coprocessors.

That's one sure way to cut through all the noise that Nvidia and Intel are making about their just-released offerings: performance.

Like other double-whammy products out there, whether they're CPUs or GPUs, the FirePro S10000 has to gear back the clock speeds on the "Graphics Core Next" GCN) GPUs on the card so it doesn't overheat or cause the server or workstation into which it is lovingly slipped to burst into flame.

FirePro, indeed.

In the Radeon HD 7870 and 7850 cards introduced in March, the GCN GPUs are clocked at 1GHz and 860MHz, respectively. The FirePro S10000 card sports two of AMD's high-end "Tahiti" GPUs spinning at 825MHz.

Each Tahiti GPU has 1,792 stream processors, just like in the single Tahiti GPU used in the existing FirePro S9000 card. But that single-GPU card runs the cores at 900MHz and the GDDR5 graphics memory at 5.5GHz to deliver its 3.23 teraflops of single-precision and 806 gigaflops of double-precision floating point performance.

With the FirePro S10000, not only is the GPU geared down to 825MHz, but the memory is similarly downshifted to 5GHz. The memory interface is 384-bit wide on each GPU, with two blocks of GDDR5 memory yielding a total of 6GB. (This could be a little skinny on the memory for some HPC workloads, given that the S9000 card has 6GB of memory for one Tahiti GPU.) Each GPU can access 240GB/sec of memory bandwidth linking to each 3GB chunk of GDDR5 memory.

Because the card is double-stuffed, it can deliver a very impressive 5.91 teraflops SP and 1.48 teraflops DP in peak floating point oomph.

By doubling up the GPUs on the card, the thermal design point goes up to 375 watts, compared to 225 watts for the single-GPU S9000, and if you are trying to cram as much floppage as you can get into a server or workstation, this is a good tradeoff.

The S9000 costs $2,499 at list price while the S10000 costs $3,599, and if you do the math the S10000 delivers $6.48 per DP teraflops per watt, while a pair of S9000s will give you $6.89 per DP teraflops per watt.

That's not much of an improvement, mind you, but recall that the S10000 takes up only one x16 slot in a server or workstation, and two S9000s will eat up two slots.

The cost of each SP or DP flops is a bit lower with the S10000, too – to be precise, 21.3 per cent. So for companies wanting to build GPU-goosed clusters or workstations, the S10000 is going to be preferred over the S9000 because it eats up less space and delivers better value.

The S10000 is not just a compute engine for OpenCL applications; it's also a video card if you want to use it for visualization. (Or, for some workloads, you might use a bunch of these for compute and then shift over to visualization when the number-crunching is done.)

The S10000 has one DVI port and four Mini DisplayPorts. The card supports AMD's Eyefinity multiple-display feature, but does not support its CrossFire feature, which allows the ganging up of multiple GPUs to drive a single display two, three, or four times faster if you add that many cards. (If you do that, you either don't have children or you are the coolest dad in the neighborhood.)

You have to have a pretty fat power supply to use an S10000, of course, and the question then becomes how many of these FirePro S10000s can you cram into the workstation or the server before the fire marshall comes around.

AMD says that you need a PCI-Express 2.0 or 3.0 x16 slot to use this card, and a 3.0-generation slot is preferable to get the best performance. That means you need a workstation or a server using the Xeon E3-1200 v2 or Xeon E5 processor from Intel, since these are the only machines that support PCI-Express 3.0 at the moment.

You need a box with a 750 watt or higher power supply with two 150 watt PCI-Express AUX 8-pin power connectors. And with three fans needed to cool the card itself, you might want to have a pretty powerful cooling system for your chassis, as well.

Your server or workstation needs to have 2GB of system memory, and you need to be running Linux or Windows Vista, 7, 8, or Server 2008 R2 SP1.

And yes, it can play Crysis. ®

Unless Daamit can pull some magic rabbit out of their hat, they are done and will get taken over... it is too bad because a monopoly is no good for customers for obvious reasons, but AMD just can't get it right lately, and it has been like this ever since the Phenom launch disaster years ago...Phenom II was okay but not enough to save them...Bulldozer, don't get me started...I will never forget owning my first Slot A Athlon 700 Mhz that I managed to overclock to 800 Mhz using a "golden fingers" device, nor that sweet little Socket A Duron 600 Mhz that I got up to 1 Ghz...ah those were the glory days... all good up until Intel released the Core Duo then Core 2 Duo... Intel took off then and never looked back... AMD did not have the manpower or resources to keep up with them. I wonder where AMD would be today if they did have the financial resources and manpower of Intel?? I guess we will never find out...
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Re: AMD is up for sale!

Postby Stupify » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:49 pm

Pentium M was the first nail in AMD's coffin and then after-C2D really did AMD in. AMD failed miserably to ever capitalize the lead they had and start gaining back market shares - i believe if I am not mistaken there was a point when AMD was 20+% in desktop market and were charging considerable premium for their cpus.

The way I see it is that AMD got too confident after initial K8 results and growth that it chillaxed without caring the true power an elephant can muster when it gets pissed off. There was no come back after the behemoth got its act together. It is sort of like a dialogue from Jet Li's Fist of Legend: Japan attacking China while China didn't have its act together was like ants thinking they can conquer elephant while it was sleeping, not realizing what to expect when the elephant wakes up.
What goes around comes around with interest!
Stupify

Postby Sauron_Daz » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:08 am

Update: 11/14 01:44 GMT by S : In an emailed statement, an AMD representative said the company "is not actively pursuing a sale of the company or significant assets at this time."

But the cat is out of the bag. :(
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

AMD Contemplates Selling off their company

Postby veli05 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:02 am

As per Anton's front page article:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20121113215703_AMD_Hires_JP_Morgan_Chase_to_Explore_Options_of_Company_s_Future.html

This is a big deal for AMD and the future of the x86 cpu/gpu manufacturing industry and I am curious to what you guys thoughts are on it. Here are mine in a nutshell:

Intel most certainly would LOVE for a competitior with a chunk of their x86 market to leave the market, due to the fact that they will have an opportunity to gain more market share.

Legally, they can't get to crazy tdue to the anti-trust/monopoly laws in place (in the USA at least) but I would be willing to bet if AMD was dissolved Intel would capitalize as much as legally possible on it.

They might even go as far as taking most of the x86 market, and reincorporating part of their share under a different name while sharing the same design secrets. AKA Two taxably different corporations that both exclusively sell intel product.

Either way, prices will most likely scyrocket in the even AMD goes out of business due to lack of competition. NOT good for anyone.
veli05

Postby Hammer_Time » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:15 am

Veli05, I hope you don't mind but I merged your new thread with mine, since I posted about this same topic yesterday... it was about 3 topics down from the top one in this forum today so I can see why you missed it and made your own thread just now... but we should have just one thread on this topic methinks...

BTW I completely agree with all your points above... monopolies are no good for anyone, especially the consumer! I hope Daamit finds a way to survive, even if somebody buys them out, they could still keep the brand name going, and especially their rocking ATi graphics division!! To completely dismantle the whole company would be sacrilege and I hope to never see that day!! :scout:
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:17 am

Sauron_Daz wrote:
Update: 11/14 01:44 GMT by S : In an emailed statement, an AMD representative said the company "is not actively pursuing a sale of the company or significant assets at this time."

No kidding, their situation is dire and the writing has been on the wall for a long time.. if they are not "actively pursuing a sale of the company...at this time" then why did they hire JP Morgan Chase to look into this very possibility for them!!?? :roll: :P

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby veli05 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:35 am

Hammer_Time wrote:
Sauron_Daz wrote:

No kidding, their situation is dire and the writing has been on the wall for a long time.. if they are not "actively pursuing a sale of the company...at this time" then why did they hire JP Morgan Chase to look into this very possibility for them!!?? :roll: :P

Unfortunately they shot themselves in the foot investment wise with this announcement whether it is true or not. I predict their investors will pull ALL their stock ASAP, which could hamstring and complicate the whole consulting relationship they have entered into with JP Morgan.

New ownership with the same brands, and new R@D and manufacturing intellectual property to get the failing business sectors of AMD up and running and profitably competative again I think would be the easiest way for the company to turn around. Only time will tell
veli05

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:55 pm

Best outcome? IBM, Samsung or some other big tech company invests to get access to the abilities and tech of AMD(which despite everything is quite impressive after all).
This has been an objective and completely impartial message from the propaganda bureau of DIREWOLF75. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Location: Isthmus of Baldur (modernly known as Bollnäs), Sweden

Postby <R.t..>^>Fusionc » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:40 pm

IIRC, the x86 license cannot be transferred to another company if that company bought AMD.

I also wonder how the licensing will work with Intel as they are using AMD's x86_64 extensions, are they not?
I play games, not benchmarks. So all you fanboys/fangirls, just STFU!!
"I close my eyes, to escape the seas of reality... I dive deep into the ocean depths of my mind..."
<R.t..>^>Fusionc
X-bit Guru

Postby Hammer_Time » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:59 pm

Good point, no, it is not transferable but that is not the reason another company would want to swallow AMD , lots of other chip patents and IP etc...

To prove RT is right about x86 patent transfer, here is an older story on it:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-in ... ,7285.html

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:30 am

Hammer_Time wrote:
Sauron_Daz wrote:

Can't think of anything else..
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:56 am

Hammer_Time wrote:Good point, no, it is not transferable but that is not the reason another company would want to swallow AMD , lots of other chip patents and IP etc...

To prove RT is right about x86 patent transfer, here is an older story on it:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-in ... ,7285.html

IBM? They don't need a license, do they?
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:08 am

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:26 am

<R.t..>^>Fusionc wrote:IIRC, the x86 license cannot be transferred to another company if that company bought AMD.

I also wonder how the licensing will work with Intel as they are using AMD's x86_64 extensions, are they not?

Doesn´t have to be. A buyer can retain the company as is and have them manufacture anything where they need to use the limited licenses.

And as HT said, AMD has LOTS of other licenses and patents that could be very interesting.

IBM? They don't need a license, do they?

AFAIK, nope.
This has been an objective and completely impartial message from the propaganda bureau of DIREWOLF75. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Location: Isthmus of Baldur (modernly known as Bollnäs), Sweden

Postby Sauron_Daz » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:05 pm

Then IBM is the only one who can buy AMD and continue to have it made X86 CPU's.
But as far as I know, IBM has no interest in the PC business..
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:42 pm

Just the console business ( Xbox 360 currently ) and server business:

ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/software/pas ... nology.pdf

The Xbox Next "720" is rumored to have a 16 core IBM PowerPC 7 cpu in it, just a rumour though!! :

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/04/12/r ... 6-core-cpu

IBM sells a lot of Intel Xeon x86 cpu's in their servers for x86 work:

http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/x/migrate ... mpare.html

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:16 pm

If they buy AMD they can make their own X86 server CPU's..
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Stupify » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:00 pm

i could have sworn there were at least 4+ x86 manufacturers, with 3 existing right now: Intel, AMD, Via and Cyrix (dead).

Also a company could potentially "buy out" AMD by just purchasing the majority stake and then having the "parent" company dictate/facilitate the business plan.
What goes around comes around with interest!
Stupify

Postby Hammer_Time » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:29 pm

Don't forget about the Chinese "Godson" x86-emulating MIPS cpu!! :wink: :lol:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/02/25 ... n_3b_chip/

Godson: China shuns US silicon with faux x86 superchip

Who needs GPU co-processors?
By Timothy Prickett Morgan • Get more from this author

Posted in HPC, 25th February 2011 21:07 GMT
ISSCC If the Chinese government is scaring the world with its hybrid CPU-GPU clusters, what do you think the reaction will be when Chinese supercomputers shun American-made x64 processors and GPU co-processors and start using their own energy-efficient, MIPS-derived, x86-emulating Godson line of 64-bit processors?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_x86_manufacturers

Manufacturers

x86-compatible processors have been designed, manufactured and sold by a number of companies, including:

x86-processors for both regular PCs and embedded designs:

Intel
AMD
VIA

Transmeta (discontinued its x86 line)
Rise Technology (acquired by SiS)
IDT (Centaur Technology x86 division acquired by VIA)
National Semiconductor (sold the x86 PC designs to VIA and later the x86 embedded designs to AMD)
Cyrix (acquired by National Semiconductor)
NexGen (acquired by AMD)
Chips and Technologies (acquired by Intel)
IBM (discontinued its own x86 line)
UMC (discontinued its x86 line)
NEC (discontinued its x86 line)

Since we cannot buy the x86-emulating Chinese Godson cpu over here, then Stupify's list is correct... Intel, AMD, and VIA are the only ones left that still make x86 cpu's.

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:45 pm

Stupify wrote:i could have sworn there were at least 4+ x86 manufacturers, with 3 existing right now: Intel, AMD, Via and Cyrix (dead).

Also a company could potentially "buy out" AMD by just purchasing the majority stake and then having the "parent" company dictate/facilitate the business plan.

That company must bring a good sum of money to allow for the design of a CPU line that can compete..
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Next

Return to Breaking Technology News