GIGABYTE GA-MA78GPM-UD2H - hdmi audio issue

Is your PC working properly? Not quite? Well, if you need help with computer-related problems, you'll get it here.

Moderators: CPUagnostic, MTX, Celt, Hammer_Time, Sauron_Daz, Tacitus, Anna

GIGABYTE GA-MA78GPM-UD2H - hdmi audio issue

Postby Stupify » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:34 pm

Relevant Specs:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+
GIGABYTE GA-MA78GPM-UD2H
2GB DDR2 memory
Windows 7 Pro 64bit + latest drivers
Sharp 46" Aquos TV

So this pc is my htpc. It is good for most part, however, it has one quirk that is driving the family bonkers. you have to have the TV's input set to the computer's HDMI from the second it cold boots. if not then the audio won't work requiring a full reboot to get it to work. it will default to the standard audio out and it can see that there is the hdmi option but won't let us select it either.

this is not the case with my laptop - just plug and play no issue.

any suggestions how to resolve this?
What goes around comes around with interest!
Stupify

Re: GIGABYTE GA-MA78GPM-UD2H - hdmi audio issue

Postby Hammer_Time » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:32 pm

I guess it must be that the way your gigabyte mobo does the "handshake" with the HDMI signal only works from a cold boot, unlike your laptop which can "handshake" HDMI at any time as you mentioned. If you have regular computer speaker kit hooked up to the HTPC's audio out jacks, the mobo senses this and automatically directs the audio to those jacks and ignores the HDMI. If this is the case then you would have to completely unplug the computer speakers from your mobo in order for Windows to automatically use the HDMI audio out. Perhaps not, just a theory... in any case I don't believe there is any "quick fix" for this, just have to live with it most likely...mebbe others can come up with a fix ( I don't use HDMI hooked up to my pc so have no way to test my theory ) here, feel free to post!
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:39 pm

If you have regular computer speaker kit hooked up to the HTPC's audio out jacks, the mobo senses this and automatically directs the audio to those jacks and ignores the HDMI. If this is the case then you would have to completely unplug the computer speakers from your mobo in order for Windows to automatically use the HDMI audio out. Perhaps not, just a theory...

Very likely.
This has been an objective and completely impartial message from the propaganda bureau of DIREWOLF75. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Location: Isthmus of Baldur (modernly known as Bollnäs), Sweden

Postby Stupify » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:08 pm

no speakers or anything connected to it aside from the hdmi cable and magicjack. regardless, i believe it should allow me to switch at least manually instead of requiring a reboot.
Stupify

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:51 pm

Stupify wrote:no speakers or anything connected to it aside from the hdmi cable and magicjack. regardless, i believe it should allow me to switch at least manually instead of requiring a reboot.

Try connecting speakers, and see if the switching is enabled by actually having two different ones to select from.

Ehm, BTW, have you made sure to check that you actually have the correct sound units selected in Windows sound properties?
I know that caused one darned annoying long stretch of having switching issues on moms system originally, because she had a USB mousepad that included USB sound, and since that was added before installing windows, it selected that as the default in/output units for sound everywhere in Windows, and even when i realised that, it took a ridiculous amount of time to change the settings and get them to not change back automatically.

Considering how it requires a reboot to go with the HDMI, this actually feels like a pretty good potential answer.
This has been an objective and completely impartial message from the propaganda bureau of DIREWOLF75. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Location: Isthmus of Baldur (modernly known as Bollnäs), Sweden

Postby Sauron_Daz » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:48 am

Maybe because this is an older mobo, I have a laptop with similar CPU, some 4 years old now with a HMDI port and can't get any signal trough it.
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Stupify » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:14 am

tried to download and install realtek audio latest drivers and special drivers for ATI HDMI Audio. No luck. I will try these EDID remembering programs and see if that resolves the issue or not.
Stupify

Postby diastole87 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:25 am

did you ever find a fix? i would try unplugging the hdmi from the tower for a few sec and plugging it back in. not a good fix but its better than restarting the pc every time.
If it aint broke.....fix it until it is
diastole87
Official X-bit photochopper

Postby Stupify » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:20 am

no/not sure and yes. i am able to now get the sound back by doing what you mentioned but that was the case long before too but would change after some time and not work - so not sure.

yes - because if you saw my other thread of building a nas, i have officially converted my htpc into a nas as well which i power up once and leave it on 24/7, so the sound stays working.
Stupify

Postby Hammer_Time » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:08 pm

8) Problem resolved then! :D
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:48 am

If a method works.....then its a solution!
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Return to Technical Support