Low gaming performance after setting the paging file

Forum for general hardware discussions. If you don't know, where your question belongs, it is the right place to go.

Moderators: CPUagnostic, MTX, Celt, Hammer_Time, Sauron_Daz, Tacitus, Anna

Low gaming performance after setting the paging file

Postby chapapa07 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:50 pm

2 days ago I set the paging file to "system managed size" (yes I dissabled it months ago) in order to see if the paging file would give some fps. After setting it to "system managed size" , on battlefield 3 I get on average 19 fps and I used to gt 41 on high, at 1280x1024, I set the paging file again to " no paging file" but nothing happened. I also get very similar results in crysis 2 .

Before 3d mark vantage gpu score was about 10400 and now is about 2600 ( it didnt even reached 3000), the cpu score is intact.

My specs:

Core 2 quad q8300 2.5
GTX 550 ti oc
4 gb ddr2 800
Windows 7 64 bit
Max resolution 1280x1024.

No idea what is happening
chapapa07

Re: Low gaming performance after setting the paging file

Postby Sauron_Daz » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:40 am

Reinstall graphics driver and see what happens..

Or use the restore function of Windows to restore settings back to before changing the pagefile.

Or some background program (maybe even some malware) is eating up resources.
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:54 am

After setting it to "system managed size"

Never EVER use "system managed size", because that means Windows will keep resizing it continually according to guesstimates, and resizing tend to be sluggish.

Set a large fixed size. I have 2GB RAM and use a 8GB fixed and optimised pagefile. 8 should be fine for you as well.

At the same time I have to agree with Sauron though, when you changed back, performance should have changed back as well. You did reboot properly after changing?

Before 3d mark vantage gpu score was about 10400 and now is about 2600 ( it didnt even reached 3000), the cpu score is intact.

And that means something went really wrong somewhere.
Sure you didn´t change anything else?
This has been an objective and completely impartial message from the propaganda bureau of DIREWOLF75. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Location: Isthmus of Baldur (modernly known as Bollnäs), Sweden

Postby chapapa07 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:48 am

Sauron_Daz wrote:Reinstall graphics driver and see what happens..

Or use the restore function of Windows to restore settings back to before changing the pagefile.

Or some background program (maybe even some malware) is eating up resources.

DIREWOLF75 wrote:
After setting it to "system managed size"

Never EVER use "system managed size", because that means Windows will keep resizing it continually according to guesstimates, and resizing tend to be sluggish.

Set a large fixed size. I have 2GB RAM and use a 8GB fixed and optimised pagefile. 8 should be fine for you as well.

At the same time I have to agree with Sauron though, when you changed back, performance should have changed back as well. You did reboot properly after changing?

I set it to 8190 mb, nothing unusual happened.

I Always reboot my system everytime I tweak the paging file.

And that means something went really wrong somewhere.
Sure you didn´t change anything else?

I used System Restored, nothing happened (unfortunately).

I scanned my pc with avast, nothing was found.

Im really sure I didn't change anything else, I got this problem right after tweaking the paging file and rebooting my pc, coincidence?... maybe.

Btw, I installed msi afterbunner in order to see if the problem is that every time I run a game the gpu goes to 2d mode.

I set Afterbunner to show me gpu usage and speed, I ran crysis 2 on extreme at 1280x1024 and it showed that gpu usage was 100 % and the speed was 950 (the maximum).

Edit: Now every time I turn on my pc, it does boot 50 seconds later, meaning that in those 50 seconds there is cero cpu activity, so I think my hard drive disk maybe the problem.
chapapa07

Postby Sauron_Daz » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:40 am

There are programs on the web to test that, but it sounds plausible.
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby chapapa07 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:37 pm

I bought a WD caviar black 1002faexx, installed windows and everything but it didnt solve anything :( ...... now my problems are worst:

My pc doesnt boot up right after I turn it on, I have to press the reset button and 15 seconds later my system boots up (it used to happen with the seagate hdd).

Before 3d mark vantage gpu score was around 10400 and now is around 2600 ( it didnt even reached 3000), the cpu score is intact.

And slow performance in all my games (I had this when my problem started).

Gpu and cpu temperature are not the problem, the gpu max temperature is 59 c and my cpu temperature is 72 c.

I cleared the CMOS first via the jumper switch, I changed my hdd s sata cable 3 times, without results.
chapapa07

Postby Hammer_Time » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:21 pm

something has coincidentally failed in your pc methinks...

mobo? cpu? psu? video card? ram? dunno...

But by the sounds of it something ( other than the hdd obviously ) has failed since you did a fresh install of Windows on a brand new hard drive and the problem still persists...

Most telling is this:

I bought a WD caviar black 1002faexx, installed windows and everything but it didnt solve anything ...... now my problems are worst:

My pc doesnt boot up right after I turn it on, I have to press the reset button and 15 seconds later my system boots up (it used to happen with the seagate hdd).

That alone tells me there is something VERY wrong with your system. Sounds like the power supply went south, or mobo ( possibly bad CMOS settings in mobo BIOS ), or video card, or ram, or cpu, or combination of the above.... you mention that MSi Afterburner reports your card is in 2D mode only after you launch a 3D game, so that is not a good sign... could be a bad video card here...not sure...if I had to guess what is wrong based on your info then I would first look at 1) mobo ( and/or BAD BIOS settings especially regarding memory timings, speed, voltage, please check they are all proper for your particular system configuration ) , 2) power supply, 3) video card, 4) ram ( swap out with known good working components if possible )

Can you check Windows event viewer to see what the exact problem is?

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/window ... times/3253

I recommend you take it to a known reliable local pc shop and let them go over it... not the cheapest way to resolve this, but the most painless for you at this point and highly recommended...
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:41 pm

Could you try to put in another videocard, maybe loan one..
Doesn't really matter which card because now I think that either the videocard is bad, or there is a problem with the mobo itself.
To find out: another videocard in it (or try yours in a friend's PC) to see what happens.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby TAViX » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:04 am

check the RAM modules....
TAViX
X-Bit Gundarm

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:48 am

Gpu and cpu temperature are not the problem, the gpu max temperature is 59 c and my cpu temperature is 72 c.

There at least IS one problem.

Minimum/Maximum operating temperature 5°C - 71.4°C

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_2/In ... 00%29.html

If the cpu reports as running above its max stated temp, then it´s fairly likely throttling.

Even with high voltage settings, that cpu shouldn´t run much above ~65C.
More commonly those runs around 50-65C even with stock HSF.

Check BIOS voltage settings for cpu first of all. Then make sure to check that the HSF hasn´t come loose(and that the fan is working).

There´s a setting in BIOS called something like boot delay or HDD delay that is meant for this kind of problems, try activating it and set it to a value of maybe 3-6.

It also points towards a possible problem with your PSU, the system draws the most just when starting to boot, so if the PSU is strained, it wont be able to provide enough power to everything from a cold start.
This has been an objective and completely impartial message from the propaganda bureau of DIREWOLF75. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Postby Sauron_Daz » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:27 pm

72 C is hot indeed.. Do as Dire suggests and check the heatsink and fan on top of the CPU first.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby TAViX » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:47 pm

Yeah, Dire is right, my guess you need to buy a bigger and better cooler...
TAViX
X-Bit Gundarm

Postby chapapa07 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:38 am

I tried to use another mobo, its a gigabyte ep43-udl3, it has been without use for 2 years in my house.

I installed it to my system, I turn my system on, it shows a gigabyte logo with some options ( press del for bios) and 10 seconds later it shows this:

20 seconds later windows starts to load , 4 seconds later before loading its logo it gives me a fast blue screen of death that doesnt give me enought time to photograph it.

After that it shows me this:

Then it says this (Im unable to use my keyboard for some reason):

It automatically chooses "startup repair", but it fails in repairing and later shows me this:

It seems like the mobo was the problem before because my system doesnt doubt to boot anymore, but now I have another problem.... xD.
chapapa07

Postby Sauron_Daz » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:24 am

You can't swap out the mobo without reinstalling Windows on it: all device drivers are for the mobo you took out.
You must install Windows for this combo to work properly.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby chapapa07 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:25 am

Sauron_Daz wrote:You can't swap out the mobo without reinstalling Windows on it: all device drivers are for the mobo you took out.

I reinstalled windows again and now My pc doesn't doubt to boot anymore and my PCs speed in games is normal as it used to be !.

The only problem I have now is that sometimes when I navigate through the bios , without changing anything or regarless what I do, when I exit the bios my system turn off by itself and 3 seconds later it turn on by itselft and 3 seconds later again it turn off by itself again and again until I turn it off manually or I turn off my UPS.

My other problem is that every time I try to dissable "write-caching policy" my pc freezes up , and I have to press the restart bottom in order to be able to use my pc again, this used to happen with the other mobo.

Finally, I can use my pc ...and play video games!.
chapapa07

Postby Hammer_Time » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:14 pm

Glad to hear it is working fine once again for you after fresh install of windows!! :D ( on a different motherboard ).

I know what you mean about the bios saving issue, my gigabyte board does the same thing, when I a warm boot ( restart ) the mobo shuts itself down completely ( no fan spin, no lights ) for about 3 seconds before it comes back to live and then boots normally into Windows. If I go into the BIOS and exit ( with or without saving changes ) it still does that 3 second power cycling thingy, and sometimes I have to either turn the psu switch off then back on and do a full cold boot, or sometimes it gets "stuck" and keeps cycling like your board does, until power is cut or you hold down the main power button for 5 seconds to fully shut off the power supply... I believe this is a trait common amongst "Gigabyte" brand boards, so just be aware of it when you make any changes ( or not ) in the BIOS ... nothing to worry about, it is annoying though. My Asus boards in the past never did this, ever...but am used to it now...

In any case, at least once your board does finally boot you say it works fine in Windows and games play like before and the performance is back. Sounds like you are good to go now! Happy Gaming !! :D

( oh, btw, you did install the proper Windows motherboard chipset drivers for this particular mobo right? Just checking... either from the drivers setup CD that came with the mobo, or dled from Gigabyte's website of course...they help improve speed and stability so make sure install them if you haven't already done so ( SATA driver etc. ). Cheers! )
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:19 am

chapapa07 wrote:
Sauron_Daz wrote:You can't swap out the mobo without reinstalling Windows on it: all device drivers are for the mobo you took out.

I reinstalled windows again and now My pc doesn't doubt to boot anymore and my PCs speed in games is normal as it used to be !.

Great!
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:07 pm

I strongly suggest that you still make sure your CPU has the cooling it needs.
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Postby chapapa07 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:51 am

Hammer_Time wrote:I know what you mean about the bios saving issue, my gigabyte board does the same thing, when I a warm boot ( restart ) the mobo shuts itself down completely ( no fan spin, no lights ) for about 3 seconds before it comes back to live and then boots normally into Windows. If I go into the BIOS and exit ( with or without saving changes ) it still does that 3 second power cycling thingy, and sometimes I have to either turn the psu switch off then back on and do a full cold boot, or sometimes it gets "stuck" and keeps cycling like your board does, until power is cut or you hold down the main power button for 5 seconds to fully shut off the power supply... I believe this is a trait common amongst "Gigabyte" brand boards, so just be aware of it when you make any changes ( or not ) in the BIOS ... nothing to worry about, it is annoying though. My Asus boards in the past never did this, ever...but am used to it now...

Is there a way to solve that problem?, I thought this problem just happen when I modify the bios but, 50% of the times I restart or shutdown my pc this happen again, I'm worry because this could damage my system sooner or later.

DIREWOLF75 wrote:I strongly suggest that you still make sure your CPU has the cooling it needs.

I changed my stock cooler for another stock cooler....with cooper (it was in my brother's closet) , now my max temperature with prime 95 after 1 hour is 72c, and when I play BF3 is between 68-70 c.
chapapa07

Postby Sauron_Daz » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:46 am

Those temps appear hot to me. Try an aftermarket cooler.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Next

Return to General Hardware Forum