Complete Network Solution and Control

In this forum you are welcome to discuss the networking equipment and technologies from office network to home LAN, as well as network administration and security issues.

Moderators: CPUagnostic, MTX, Celt, Hammer_Time, Sauron_Daz, Tacitus, Anna

Complete Network Solution and Control

Postby jeff » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:59 am

Hey guys :reading:

I need your help with something that I was hoping to accomplish along time ago but time really delays stuff until it seems like a dream to complete.

Basically what I need is CONTROL over my home network, I need to dectate usage and a lil monitoring just to say the "AHA you lied" you know when you get the lag spikse in an online game yeah sometimes it drives you nuts, and last I need to satisfy my own curiosity into how much network is used throughout the house.

Now the house is actually big and right now all I am using is the 4 ports coming off my DSL Modem with 2 Access points connected to spread the signal. However what I want to do or be able to do is the following:

-Monitor Internet usage for every computer even once connected on the access points
-Disconnect ports of the router like an Access points (cause really these days you can't stop stuff travelling in access points you have your phones and other tablets using it).
-Monitor network usage
-Supports 1 Gbps connection (well since I am planning on making a file server might as well)
-Provide a list of everyone who has logged to our network ( I need to see if our password has been giving out to outside ppl this would help)
-The ability to stop only the internet to a port while maintaing the connection to the home network.

I don't know whether their is a software that does this or hardware but i'd love to get some control over what's going on.

If I sound like a control freak am not :wink: but I want to atleast have an idea of what's going on with my connections.
jeff

Re: Complete Network Solution and Control

Postby Fuzz » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:27 am

I don't know a lot about this, but I think you are going to have to look into so me business class routers, it probably means replacing all your AP's as well. I just got a Sonicwall TZ210W at the office, and it is probably capable of all you are looking to do. It was about $900, and I think the access points are around $200 for it.

I do know you can use MAC addresses for blocking, and I think you can setup port mirroring. The reason you probably need port mirroring is to send a copy off all traffic to your local box and run something like wireshark to actually see what is going through. You can monitor it all from the sonicwall, but it is a bit kludgy. Actually, I think you can just send the traffic logs to your local machine, and watch them there.

I'm not aware of a cheap way you can do this. Probably cheaper to just get yourself a separate private connection! My dad just watches his step-daughter's facebook pages, and whenever they post something after 10pm(which teens seam dumb enough to do, and repeat often), he has easy evidence that they lie to him.
It's not the penguins I hate, so much as the idea of penguins.
“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.” - Stephen Hawking
Fuzz
X-bit Penguin Hater

Postby jeff » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:31 am

Hey Fuzz been log time man

I took a look at the Sonicwall TZ210W , seems a bit more enterprise than I would like. See the thing that encouraged me to search was the Cisco $60 router, I bought one a couple of years ago the device bugs and hangs and wasn't that good (Didn't check for firmware update) anyway but it came with a software called Network Magic and if I am not mistaken it's not hardware attached you don't need to have their routers I maybe wrong

http://purenetworks.com/product/pro.php
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_LOF0Iv0QOo

this software was trial but was great for a Father to get control of his network, no need for those spy software you could have all the information you want from that software plus even schedule the internet time out. However the thing is the software has an annual licensing fee $40 and I am not okay for paying an annual fee for something that won't get any required updates and some of the features I don't need. Plus I was really put down by Cisco home hardware.

I don't mind replacing my Access Points I need to upgrade then to N anyway, so I want to do everything at once.

I am leaving Cisco as my last resort
jeff

Postby Fuzz » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:34 am

interesting, their is a list of supported routers for the lock feature:
http://purenetworks.com/product/supported/netlock.php

It looks like monitoring is relegated to remote desktop screen captures though. If you wanted that, depending on how much control you have over your client PC's, you could install VNC on them and monitor what they are doing, I think you can do it without them knowing.

most routers have a list of connected mac addresses, so you could compare it to your house devices and see if any don't belong. Many routers also have scheduling, so you could disable the internet during certain hours while keeping the home network alive. Some allow you to do it per mac address, so you can keep certain devices alive all the time. If you can find one that does port mirroring, that would be ideal for monitoring.
“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.” - Stephen Hawking
Fuzz
X-bit Penguin Hater

Postby Hammer_Time » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:51 pm

Fuzz has good advice above.

Jeff, I know you probably don't own a Netgear brand of wireless router, but if you did, then you would probably find this Netgear Genie SW quite useful:

http://www.netgear.com/about/press-rele ... 32012.aspx

NETGEAR GENIE MOBILE APP PUTS CONTROL OF YOUR HOME NETWORK INTO THE PALM OF YOUR HAND

Free Network Monitoring App is Now Available on the Apple App Store and on Google Play Store

SAN JOSE, Calif. – April 3, 2012 — NETGEAR®, Inc. (NASDAQGM: NTGR),a global networking company that delivers innovative products to consumers, businesses and service providers, today announced that the award-winning NETGEAR Genie® mobile app for Apple® iOS and Google® Android devices is now available at the Apple App store and the Google Play store. NETGEAR Genie mobile app can turn iPads, iPhones, Android phones and tablets into a remote control for network connected media in the home. NETGEAR Genie mobile app provides the ability to easily monitor, manage and control a home network on compatible routers, and was named a Consumer Electronics Show (CES) 2012 Innovations Design and Engineering Award winner.

NETGEAR Genie mobile app offers a simple dashboard that provides easy access to premium features on market leading NETGEAR WiFi Routers. Features include Live Parental Controls, Guest Access to the Home Network, and a Broadband Usage Meter. It also includes a home network map that provides a graphic picture of the entire home network, and makes it easy to identify and block any unwanted devices from neighbors connected to your network.

With the innovative MyMedia feature, the NETGEAR Genie mobile app provides the ability to find photos, video or music files anywhere on the network and play them on any media player. For example, anyone can locate and push family photos or videos to smart TVs and other Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA) devices on their network. NETGEAR Genie mobile app with MyMedia also equips any smartphone or tablet so that it becomes a DLNA ready media controller, player, and server.

“NETGEAR Genie mobile app gives you personal control of your entire home network and media collection.” said Sandeep Harpalani, senior product line manager at NETGEAR. “The award-winning NETGEAR Genie mobile app is a cool and useful app, available for PCs and Macs, and is now also available on mobile phones and tablets. NETGEAR Genie mobile app makes it easier than ever to control a home network.”

Pricing and Availability
NETGEAR Genie mobile app is available for download at no charge at the Apple App Store and Android app marketplace. NETGEAR Genie mobile app works with most NETGEAR WiFi Routers, which are available at leading retailers and etailers. See http://www.netgear.com/genie for specific models of compatible routers.

More Information
To learn more about the NETGEAR Genie mobile app, please visit http://www.netgear.com/genie, or https://play.google.com/store, or http://www.apple.com/iphone/from-the-app-store/. For developers interested in developing applications for the genie marketplace please register at http://www.netgear.com/smartnetwork.

http://www.netgear.com/landing/en-us/netgear-genie.aspx

Question #5:
NETGEAR routers have a web interface http://www.routerlogin.net, which allows me to manage all router settings. Why should I run Desktop NETGEAR Genie?

Answer: Desktop NETGEAR Genie allows you to manage a few frequently used features like guest access and traffic metering without having to know how to use the web GUI, but it does more than that. To name a few examples, Desktop NETGEAR Genie proactively monitors your computer's Internet connectivity and can help you to auto fix many common disconnection issues. It presents a network map that shows your complete network setup. You can also easily manage your computer’s wireless connections. Not all of these features are available through the router’s web GUI.

Genie manual in PDF format:

http://www.netgear.com/assets/landing/g ... 1Aug11.pdf

Thumbs up Netgear!! 8) :D

Haven't used it myself as it was just released yesterday, but it sounds like it is exactly what you are looking for in one simple sw utility...cheers!

The only thing it won't do is monitor internet bandwidth usage PER DEVICE as you requested, only the sum total of all bandwidth passing through the router is monitored of course. In order to do that, you have to install bandwidth monitoring sw on each device on your nw ( as Fuzz suggested ) either through Windows performance monitor , or 3rd party sw... a real PITA and is it worth the effort? You can probably guess who is sucking the most bandwidth on your nw simply by analyzing each device, who is dling torrents all the time? who is streaming video like NetFlix? Is anybody on Xbox Live? ( HUGE bandwidth eater, that one, believe me!! :shock: )...
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby jeff » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:22 pm

Wow thats really cool Features I was thinking what to choose for access points gone need atleast 2 for now.

Anyway let me share my findings after days of research and learning more and more of netowrk than I ever have.

I needed something called Smart/Managed Switch, those types of switchs really makes you the king of your network and its not very expensive just like double the ynmanaged switch :), plus those support link aggrees

I currently limited my finals to
Cisco SG200-08 (couldnt find the correct pdf overview of the product too early in the morning :) )
http://www.canadianvoipstore.com/downlo ... _guide.pdf

Or Netgear GS108T

I will Put a +1 on the netgear for having such app I must study the netgear product just havent had enough time lately, I have just bought my UPS for the file server so I am pushing ahead slowly
jeff

Postby Fuzz » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:32 am

no, not Cisco!

No services! (took this pic years ago, thought it was hil-ar-i-ous :) )

Just kidding, Cisco is OK, my friend works for Checkpoint, so he rails on Cisco whenever he can. So ya you just setup port mirroring to send traffic to your system and use something like wireshark to monitor. The only issue I have with this setup is that you would need to have a router(gateway), one cable going to the switch, then another cable directly to another wireless router, and all systems plugged into the switch. The reason I think you would need 2 routers is that to capture the wireless data, it has to flow from wireless, through the switch, then out the gateway. I may be wrong on this point though, but I suspect if you just had the switch connected to the gateway/router, wireless traffic would flow directly through the gateway, never passing through the switch.
Fuzz
X-bit Penguin Hater

Postby jeff » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:49 am

Fuzz wrote:no, not Cisco!

Just kidding, Cisco is OK, my friend works for Checkpoint, so he rails on Cisco whenever he can. So ya you just setup port mirroring to send traffic to your system and use something like wireshark to monitor. The only issue I have with this setup is that you would need to have a router(gateway), one cable going to the switch, then another cable directly to another wireless router, and all systems plugged into the switch. The reason I think you would need 2 routers is that to capture the wireless data, it has to flow from wireless, through the switch, then out the gateway. I may be wrong on this point though, but I suspect if you just had the switch connected to the gateway/router, wireless traffic would flow directly through the gateway, never passing through the switch.

Nice picture lol, I had some doughts about Cisco at the start but they shaped up better than 2007-2008, they provide now better quality in low-end products segment, those dark years was just a hiccup in the company long history :P .

yeah your right through the switch and down the gateway,

I found the link, well its not a cisco link but it does lists the cisco switch features more nicely.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&sku=813244&is=REG&A=details&Q=

btw a youtube of the Netgear Genie app, I wonder how if they`ll keep it free of make it like Cisco with an annual fee
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hc1ujTfT_c&feature=player_embedded
jeff

Postby Sauron_Daz » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:31 am

Fuzz wrote:no, not Cisco!

:lol:
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby jeff » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:54 am

Okay there goes my netgear solution, it seems their Access points are plagued with problems, dam I`ll need to find another product
jeff

Postby Hammer_Time » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:20 am

Normally we never allow links to any product in a new member's first post, but I checked out the product in the link above and it is a valid product. Since it would exactly solve our forum member Jeff's ( OP ) network monitoring problem completely ( monitoring download/upload traffic on every device on his home network ) I am allowing this post.

So I am making a rare exception here and allowing Tina2Dove to post a link in her first post on these forums, since it is a solution to this thread.

Tina2Dove, please do not take this approval as permission to continue posting links ( at least not for a while!! ) that might be construed as "spam" ( advertising etc. ), welcome to the forums but Sauron's Great Eye is on you! :wink: :mrgreen:
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby jeff » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:10 pm

Hey, its been so long since I logged here, I am kind of ashamed of myself

tina2dova

Thanks for the suggestion, however that seems to be a program that must be installed on all computers and even if it was successful in that, there would be no way to control mobile devices on the network. I always believe that control and monitoring is always better from the top meaning router.

Just to update this thread with what I finally did and hope someone finds it useful.

I went with Tomato firmware installed on Asus RT-N660U (which is a great router). I went with Shibby's build and everything from there was amazing, I had all the control that you could ever imagine, once again freeware + geeks come to save the day. I dont know why companies have crappy firmware on their routers, especially in this day and age, routers/switches seems to have been left behind in the last 10 years, imagine we have phones that could run full 1080p HD and still our routers fail to make a graph (might not be a fair compression given the $ but I`ll use it anyway), they are so far behind that when you log into any router GUI you feel something from DOS days but with a GUI (Yes some might be HTML restrictions but when there is a will there is a way) it seems no company is taking the matter seriously enough or they just want these features for a more expensive business line up (Though I couldnt find one that suited me).

Anyway Tomato is compatible with many brands of router. The link below doesnt cover all brands but its the most useful Tomato database from my point of view
http://tomato.groov.pl/tomatoanon.php

A few weeks ago I received an RSS from one of my sites who took interest in this kickstarter project that plan to capitalize on this huge opportunity and produce a good router software, I did not find all the features I wanted in the video but maybe some will be added later, but its a great START a huge leap by far placing them ahead of any large manufacturer. it seems more simplistic more user friendly (Different from geek friendly) and it provide options that would matter to me if I had kids. (though I wished they only focused on software and left the hardware alone).
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/110098832/skydog-your-home-network-reinvented

regards
jeff

Postby Hammer_Time » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:21 pm

Thanks for your detailed post and info Jeff, I concur!

I was not aware of "Skydog - your home network reinvented" project, thanks much for that linky!! :

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/110 ... reinvented

I see they have reached about $58,000 of their $75,000 goal so far, everyone who is financially able to, please help them out, this is a very worthwhile project for all of us!! :scout: 8)

Btw, the guy in the video starts off "Hi, I am Jeff..." is that you?? :wink:

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby jeff » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:50 pm

Hammer_Time wrote:Btw, the guy in the video starts off "Hi, I am Jeff..." is that you?? :wink:

wow thats ironic, no thats not me. But the project if they are able to deliver is great, I expect if they succeed that they will be bought by a larger company willing to use their software. Most companies these days just buy other companies instead of starting from scratch it seems to have become a trend in the industry, if I was able to invest I would throw atleast $500 and wait for that company to be bought before selling. And if you notice in the video they understand the business correctly they want to hear from the users what they want as a features or ideas and really thats what makes companies successful. I also noticed in the video a work team picture so they seem to have a company and this is just one project of the company so they seem to have the expertise to push it through.\

Edit: really I am not associated with them in anyway but I am tired of the router industry not developing, its like the Laptop industry before apple came and pushed the envelope. I remember a statement made by Intel that if it wasn't for Apple they wouldnt have been so invested in the Ultrabooks, and btw the first Ultrabook prototype/module that was made by Intel was to push the lazy Windows Laptop industry ahead for them to start compete with Apple.

There is a market for overpriced stuff that are well made the industray didnt believe it before but remember the iphone when it first started? Or now the NAS devices in the market which for their hardware they are overpriced but their market is skyrocking and they are one of the PC devices thats increasing, even Asus saw the potential and lunched their NAS lineup.

As a consumer, if a company poked me with a great router control with a great GUI easy for me to understand i would have thrown 300-500$ and save my time doing research.
jeff

Postby Hammer_Time » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:03 pm

heh heh...

I agree, it would be nice if you could just buy their sw separately, not have to buy it with their proprietary router...but I guess this ensures quality control that their sw works 100% on their proprietary router, no worries of making their sw compatible with the very many brands/models of routers out there for sale... that must be the reason they force you to buy their router bundled with their Skydog sw.

I also like the fact that they are very open to end-users suggestions, this is the hallmark of a successful company and I wish them every success in achieving their Kickstarter goal, and beyond...

It's time the router manufacturers "woke up" and started giving us decent monitoring sw with their fancy new routers... these days ( with bandwidth caps in place in North America ) it is needed more than ever... also the tools to make browsing "safer" ( family usage ) is badly needed...I know the bratz will hate this, but their parents will finally be able to have some control over their FB usage and gaming time usage online etc... :twisted: :D

jeff wrote:There is a market for overpriced stuff that are well made the industray didnt believe it before but remember the iphone when it first started? Or now the NAS devices in the market which for their hardware they are overpriced but their market is skyrocking and they are one of the PC devices thats increasing, even Asus saw the potential and lunched their NAS lineup.

As a consumer, if a company poked me with a great router control with a great GUI easy for me to understand i would have thrown 300-500$ and save my time doing research.

I know you made a typo there, but it is a funny typo!! :lol: :lol: "Asus lunched their NAS lineup" - hope it was tasty!! :wink: :twisted: :lol: Cheers!

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:24 pm

Hammer_Time wrote: Sauron's Great Eye is on you! :wink: :mrgreen:

Oooo yes!! :twisted:
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:25 pm

Hammer_Time wrote:
jeff wrote:There is a market for overpriced stuff that are well made the industray didnt believe it before but remember the iphone when it first started? Or now the NAS devices in the market which for their hardware they are overpriced but their market is skyrocking and they are one of the PC devices thats increasing, even Asus saw the potential and lunched their NAS lineup.

I know you made a typo there, but it is a funny typo!! :lol: :lol: "Asus lunched their NAS lineup" - hope it was tasty!! :wink: :twisted: :lol: Cheers!

:lol: :lol:
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Return to Networking & Security