The Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) - what it means...

Do you have anything to add to our daily newswire? Then comment on our news and post your news story here!

Moderators: CPUagnostic, MTX, Celt, Hammer_Time, Sauron_Daz, Tacitus, Anna

The Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) - what it means...

Postby Hammer_Time » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:33 pm

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/right-cl ... ml#more-id

The Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) and what it means for Canadians

By Chase Kell

As the U.S. House Committee prepares for tomorrow's hearing on SOPA, a controversial bill that seeks to block websites accused of copyright infringement, there seems to be a general lack of understanding amongst internet users abroad.
And perhaps the tight-lipped coverage is to blame. This burgeoning story could be the largest Internet-themed news event since Y2K, yet the major media coverage on a bill that some believe has potential to "break the internet" has been scarce.
Should this bill pass, one of the most robust industries on the planet - as we know it - will cease to exist. Content for download will come under attack, users will tip-toe around restricted access and popular sites such as Reddit will struggle to survive - all because the entertainment industry seeks to pick up where the Napster lawsuits left off.

What is the Stop Online Piracy Act?

The U.S. House Judiciary Committee recognizes SOPA as bill H. R. 3261. It's designed to "expand the ability of the Department of Justice to fight online copyright infringement and counterfeit trafficking," according to Reddit, expanding on the the PROTECT IP Act of 2011 and the Commercial Felony Streaming Act of 2011.

What does this mean for Canadians?

SOPA is a potential online disaster thinly veiled as an American issue, but the ramifications of such censorship will certainly stretch north of the border. Michael Geist of the Toronto Star reveals how the U.S. could claim Canadian domain names in the millions.
"First, it defines a 'domestic domain name' as a domain name 'that is registered or assigned by a domain name registrar, domain name registry, or other domain name registration authority, that is located within a judicial district of the United States,' explains Geist. "Since every dot-com, dot-net and dot-org domain is managed by a domain name registry in the U.S., the law effectively asserts jurisdiction over tens of millions of domain names regardless of where the registrant actually resides."
To put this in context, Canadian Internet providers rely on the Americas Registry for Internet Numbers, an U.S. allocation entity known as ARIN. Its territorial reach includes Canada, the U.S. and 20 Caribbean nations. Amending this bill will effectively treat all IP addresses within this reach as "domestic for U.S. law purposes."

Strong arguments against SOPA

Many who stand opposed to SOPA believe the language of the bill "demonstrates a lack of understanding of the way the internet functions and disregards fundamental technological principles of the internet," Reddit explains. SOPA has been dubbed the "Internet blacklist bill," potentially empowering the U.S. government with the ability to shut down any global website even if a single U.S. citizen were to visit that site.
One of the strongest arguments against SOPA takes aim at how the bill could affect the global economy. A study found that more than 80 per cent of 200 venture capitalists would be more likely to invest in today's internet regulations with a risky economy, than they would be in SOPA's regulated internet with an improved economy.

Who stands against SOPA?

The list is incredibly large, but the big players include Yahoo, Google, Facebook, AOL, eBay, Bloomberg, Reddit and Tumblr.
Click here for the complete list.

Strong arguments for SOPA

Supporters of the bill argue that countless jobs are threatened by rogue websites that thrive on copyright infringement. Perhaps there is no one better suited to defend the amendment of SOPA than committee chairman and Texas Republican, Lamar Smith.
"Rogue websites that steal and sell American innovations have operated with impunity. The online thieves who run these foreign websites are out of the reach of U.S. law enforcement agencies and profit from selling pirated goods without any legal consequences," explains Smith. "According to estimates, IP theft costs the U.S. economy more than $100 billion annually and results in the loss of thousands of American jobs."

Who stands for SOPA?

Again, the list is quite extensive, but let's see if you can spot the trend among the few below:

Motion Picture Association of America
Independent Film & Television Alliance
National Association of Theatre Owners
Deluxe Entertainment Services Group Inc.
National Music Publishers' Association
American Federation of Musicians
Directors Guild of America
International Brotherhood of Teamsters
Screen Actors Guild
National Cable & Telecommunications Association

That's right! Uncle Sam seems hell bent on reinvigorating its entertainment industry, and empowering the U.S. government with the ability to enforce a virtual stronghold throughout the internet may simply be an attempt to get you back to purchasing DVDs.
Tomorrow's hearing is unlikely to produce a verdict, but some have already begun preparing for the worst. Coders across the map are discovering workarounds that will allow them to circumvent SOPA's reach. Keep reading The Right Click for developments on SOPA as the hearings proceed.
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Re: The Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) - what it means...

Postby Sauron_Daz » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:51 am

There is one reason I won't illegally download movies: if everybody does that, then soon no more movies will be made.
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Silver » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:00 am

Sauron_Daz wrote:There is one reason I won't illegally download movies: if everybody does that, then soon no more movies will be made.

Everyone can not affoard to buy everything. But I do try to buy movies that I really like, soon at 150 blu-ray movies.
And I also buy cd's from time to time, bought many more before the offline music stores closed..
even thought many bought 2nd hand, im probably close to 1500 cds.
I do enjoy music and movies and rather like having some physical proof of that, like a small piece of plastic :wink:

This is why I like Mediamarkt, even if they make others electronic stores like Siba close, its all fine by me, since Mediamarkt have so much more music and movies in their store 8)

Much of piracy is by people who can't affoard to buy lots of stuff anyway.. (wich means no loss of sales) like say how many people that download 3D Studio Max or Photoshop would have ever purchased it in the first place. Things like Microsoft Windows might never had become so widespread if it was not for piracy.

Im sure there are some *smaller* artists who stand alot to gain from beeing downloaded for free.
But on the other side are the bigger already established artists, who might loose some sales.

If they recording and movies industries have an outdated business system, then try to correct that,
don't just blame piracy for low sales, there is a shift in technology.. shifiting away from physical media to online downloadable and streeming content. Get with the program instead of blaming your customers.

When the mp3 player started to get noticed, the largest players got sued into bancrupcy..
and big names such as Sony tried to run their own race, selling players with their own atrac3 format wich didn't play mp3.
later Apple got somekind of deal done with many of the record labels, and are quite successfully selling music online.

But why didn't the labels figure this out for themselfs a long time earlier ??
They where so afraid of piracy that they missed the boat on the digital marketplace.

And they still are according to their actions :?
why not just try to open up an online market place for music and movies ?
I don't know someone said that apple didn't have drm anylonger, but they still use their own formats
like aac and alac (if im not mistaken) instead of mp3 and flac.

Just start out a buisness without drm, that also have files in the highest quality, flac in cd quality or even 24-bit 96KHz,
then if the price is right you will get this poster as a future customer.
Specs:

Intel Core i7 4930K, Kingston 32GB
ASUS GeForce GTX 770 4GB, ASUS P9X79

Aiming for impossible goals forces thinking beyond mere extrapolation of existing achievements.
Silver
X-bit Guru

Postby Sauron_Daz » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:28 am

How large an issue would illegal downloads be...I mean really.
Any numbers that can be trusted?
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:36 am

Sauron_Daz wrote:There is one reason I won't illegally download movies: if everybody does that, then soon no more movies will be made.

Not really. A repeatedly wellestablished result from research is that those that download the most are generally those who buy the most.
This has been an objective and completely impartial message from the propaganda bureau of DIREWOLF75. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Location: Isthmus of Baldur (modernly known as Bollnäs), Sweden

Postby clone » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:44 am

TechReport did their podcast this weekend and talked about media atm.

they said they couldn't hate on downloaders and ppl who steal because their is no affordable or reasonable way to get access to all media save by stealing it.

Itunes is a success because it's easy and convenient, the movie & entertainment industry overall is not nearly so which is why ppl steal, the industry has chosen to fight and see a problem instead of an opportunity they should embrace which is why they are failing.

until competing interests get past their greed and start offering up content in an affordable and easy to access way they will continue to fail.

this fight is against human nature who's path inherently is to follow the path of least resistance.

a quick example I experienced was the Blu-Ray release of Thor.... it was $36.00 plus applicable taxes.... understand I want to buy this movie, I want to support the industry but $36.00... c'mon already, they beg for it to be stolen and if they can't see that then screw them for being as stupid as they are greedy.
When we lose the right to be different, we lose the privilege to be free.
clone
X-bit Film Critic

Postby Hammer_Time » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:14 am

All good points above, the MPAA and RIAA are just greedy as hell, they are not losing any money these days, that much is for sure!!

Most importantly, the salaries for Major Labels execs:

GREEDY mofo's!!! :fist:
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Silver » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:52 pm

clone wrote:a quick example I experienced was the Blu-Ray release of Thor.... it was $36.00 plus applicable taxes.... understand I want to buy this movie, I want to support the industry but $36.00... c'mon already, they beg for it to be stolen and if they can't see that then screw them for being as stupid as they are greedy.

Prices from a Swedish online store:
Thor (Blu-ray + DVD) 229 SEK = 33.2 USD
Thor (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray + DVD) 299SEK = 43.3 USD

Its quite silly prices on new movies sometimes.
Also why do they keep bringing extra dvd discs..
I don't want low resolution discs, if I wanted that I wouldn't pay extra for a blu-ray.

But many good movies can be found for 99SEK = 14.3 USD
Specs:

Aiming for impossible goals forces thinking beyond mere extrapolation of existing achievements.
Silver
X-bit Guru

Postby clone » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:14 pm

But many good movies can be found for 99SEK = 14.3 USD
new release movies are almost never under $20.00, it's near impossible to justify that kind of price.

anything not brand new should not be priced higher than $9.99, most shouldn't cost more than $5.99 at that point ppl will buy without thought or concern and they probably won't bother to steal because it's convenient just to buy.
clone
X-bit Film Critic

Postby Hammer_Time » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:47 am

You want DVD pricing for BluRay media... :twisted: me too!! :D

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Silver » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:02 pm

Hammer_Time wrote:You want DVD pricing for BluRay media... :twisted: me too!! :D

Im guessing that a blu-ray cost about the same to manufacture as a dvd.
Well Ive read somewhere that after the initial investment for new machines for making blu-ray it would cost the same as making a dvd.

Maybe its the blue colored plastic case thats expensive :lol:
Seriously I hope that dvd will be phased out so that blu-ray will get lower prices.
Specs:

Silver
X-bit Guru

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:23 pm

Silver wrote:
Hammer_Time wrote:You want DVD pricing for BluRay media... :twisted: me too!! :D

Im guessing that a blu-ray cost about the same to manufacture as a dvd.
Well Ive read somewhere that after the initial investment for new machines for making blu-ray it would cost the same as making a dvd.

Maybe its the blue colored plastic case thats expensive :lol:
Seriously I hope that dvd will be phased out so that blu-ray will get lower prices.

The manufacturing machines cost more, their maintenance cost more and the BDs cost more... Wont work to sell them at the same price even if the difference isnt huge.
This has been an objective and completely impartial message from the propaganda bureau of DIREWOLF75. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Postby Hammer_Time » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:10 pm

Okay, a "little" more than DVD , but not double to triple the pricing we are currently seeing with BR media!! :shock: :P

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:57 pm

Hammer_Time wrote:Okay, a "little" more than DVD , but not double to triple the pricing we are currently seeing with BR media!! :shock: :P

Nah, hardly that no. Not sure how much would be reasonable, haven´t kept up with the area.
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Postby clone » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:49 pm

You want DVD pricing for BluRay media.
I don't look at Blu-ray as an improvement I see it as a replacement for DVD.

I see no increase in value and suspect that costs are near identical to manufacture and have been for several years.

even now I don't hesitate to buy DVD over blu ray if their is a significant cost difference.... in the case of new Blu-ray vs new DVD I don't buy either because neither is worth the asking price.

no DVD regardless of media should be priced higher than $10.00.... they are just movies, a luxury not a necessity which is why my DVD purchases along with my Blu-ray purchases have stalled for so long since Blockbuster and it's previously viewed offerings disappeared.
clone
X-bit Film Critic

Postby Silver » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:30 am

Movies are kind of like books, you get to travel to alternate universes and see stories unfold.. ultimatly its all about storytelling.
I like both books and movies, thought ive do spend more money on movies.

But if I spend money on something I want it to be of good quality, wich right now is where blu-ray is at.
Buying a few movies in 1080p and high bitrates, is easy enough when you get the discs in the mail 1-2 days later.
But I wouldn't want to download a movie of 25-50GB... and store it on a hdd and preferably on a 2nd hdd for backup, since
I would like to have my movies even if the hdd crashes.. and re-downloading 200 movies (5-10TB) would be dreadful even if you got somekind of account that would let you do so if a crash occured.

thought music right now is beginning to make perfect sense
for purchasing online, since an album in full cd quality is only 200-400MB.
and both hdd's and the internet have evolved to the point of this beeing very easy download
and manage to find space for a small or large collection of albums.
Specs:

Silver
X-bit Guru

Postby Sauron_Daz » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:44 am

DIREWOLF75 wrote:

Not really. A repeatedly wellestablished result from research is that those that download the most are generally those who buy the most.

Then why things like SOPA.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:51 am

DIREWOLF75 wrote:
Hammer_Time wrote:Okay, a "little" more than DVD , but not double to triple the pricing we are currently seeing with BR media!! :shock: :P

Nah, hardly that no. Not sure how much would be reasonable, haven´t kept up with the area.

Just don't buy upon release. If you wait a bit prices go down significantly.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:21 am

Sauron_Daz wrote:
DIREWOLF75 wrote:

Then why things like SOPA.

Because the media industry consists too much of greedy, shortsighted idiots?
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Postby Hammer_Time » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:45 pm

+1 Dire!!

Even GoDaddy.com is against SOPA now! :

http://www.techpowerup.com/157349/Go-Da ... -SOPA.html

Friday, December 23 2011

Go Daddy No Longer Supports SOPA

Go Daddy is no longer supporting SOPA, the “Stop Online Piracy Act” currently working its way through U.S. Congress. “Fighting online piracy is of the utmost importance, which is why Go Daddy has been working to help craft revisions to this legislation – but we can clearly do better,” Warren Adelman, Go Daddy’s newly appointed CEO, said. “It’s very important that all Internet stakeholders work together on this. Getting it right is worth the wait. Go Daddy will support it when and if the Internet community supports it.”

Go Daddy and its General Counsel, Christine Jones, have worked with federal lawmakers for months to help craft revisions to legislation first introduced some three years ago. Jones has fought to express the concerns of the entire Internet community and to improve the bill by proposing changes to key defined terms, limitations on DNS filtering to ensure the integrity of the Internet, more significant consequences for frivolous claims and specific provisions to protect free speech.

“As a company that is all about innovation, with our own technology and in support of our customers, Go Daddy is rooted in the idea of First Amendment Rights and believes 100 percent that the Internet is a key engine for our new economy,” said Adelman.

In changing its position, Go Daddy remains steadfast in its promise to support security and stability of the Internet. In an effort to eliminate any confusion about its reversal on SOPA though, Jones has removed blog postings that had outlined areas of the bill Go Daddy did support.

“Go Daddy has always fought to preserve the intellectual property rights of third parties, and will continue to do so in the future,” Jones said.

They came to their senses!! Hope the trend continues...

This reader comment on that article might be accurate:

Wikipedia said F U to Go Daddy thats what happened

Go Daddy = Pro SOPA

Wikipedia = Anti SOPA

Wikipedia left Go Daddy since Wikipedia is a huge customer well you get the Idea Go Daddy reverses it stance or loses MORE customers.

As it stands Go Daddy lost Wikipedia for good.

well actually its more then that

These Big Three left Go Daddy yesterday
http://icanhascheezburger.com/ apparently moved over 1000 Domains to new host
Currently Ranked: 942 in USA 2688 Worldwide

http://imgur.com/ currently in the process of moving
Currently Ranked: 34 in USA 85 Worldwide

http://www.wikipedia.org/ moving the entirety of wikipedia to a new host
Currently Ranked: 7 in USA 6 Worldwide

3 Internet Heavy Weights basically said so long to Go Daddy that has to hurt them to some extent.

now just for a moment with how large these sites are, just image the loss in terms of money Go Daddy faces with there leaving

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Next

Return to Breaking Technology News