firepro 7900 or quadro 4000

Forum for general hardware discussions. If you don't know, where your question belongs, it is the right place to go.

Moderators: CPUagnostic, MTX, Celt, Hammer_Time, Sauron_Daz, Tacitus, Anna

firepro 7900 or quadro 4000

Postby thefallen » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:55 am

I wanna buy a workstation graphic card for my pc . can you help me with these two model ?
AMD FIREPRO 7900 OR QUADRO 4000 .I am using 3dmax and photoshop,after effect and premier. I know adobe software use nvidia cuda and iray in max use this API but honestly which one have better performance in these software ?
thefallen

Re: firepro 7900 or quadro 4000

Postby clone » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:25 pm

both 3d studiomax and photoshop make use of software renderers leaving them primarily but not exclusively cpu / ram dependent because they don't use the Open GL or D3D API's for the heavy lifting.

the Quadro is in a lower class, it can beat the AMD handily in some tests but 2/3's of the time the AMD decimates the Quadro 4000 which only matters if you aren't using the software that benefits either card.... buy the Nvidia and use software that benefits the AMD and you lose, buy the AMD and use software that benefits the Nvidia and you lose.

in your case you mentioned software that stresses cpu and ram not the GPU.

you'll have to waste some time looking at cpu tests with configs with different gfx cards to see if the differences justify the expense.
When we lose the right to be different, we lose the privilege to be free.
clone
X-bit Film Critic

Postby Hammer_Time » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:32 pm

Mebbe this review can help you decide:

http://hothardware.com/Reviews/AMD-Fire ... Graphics-/

Performance Summary: With all of the results now in, let's analyze the numbers and see what they tell us. First up, the AMD FirePro V7900 had a great showing overall throughout all of our benchmarks. It performed better than the FirePro V7800 in most of our tests, and even trumped the high-end FirePro V8800 in a few. That's especially impressive considering the V8800 is technically a more powerful card and costs about $1200. Without a doubt, the AMD FirePro V7900 delivered the goods--professional users should definitely take note.

In the past, we've said that the multiple monitor Eyefinity technology found throughout the latest FirePro line is one of its greatest strengths, and we believe that statement remains true today. If you're on the fence between a FirePro or Quadro, and multiple monitors is a concern, keep that in mind. AMD hits more price points than NVIDIA by offering consumers more models to choose from at competitive price points. There are no fewer than 16 current generation FirePro cards available on the market at this time. On the other hand, Quadro cards have shown their performance lead at the high end. But if you're looking for a low power, multiple monitor solution for your 3D animation and rendering workloads, definitely check out the new FirePro V7900 and V5900 cards from AMD.

http://fireuser.com/blog/side_by_side_c ... _in_catia/

This thread should interest you a lot:

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/109128 ... uadro-4000

hippocoder

Posted: 07:55 AM 2 Weeks Ago

A simple i7 with SSD and 8gb ram with any gaming nvidia card 500x will blow anything out of the water for rendering and modelling, do you really need more? Just ensure the card has a gig.

Those pro cards don't necessarily update the viewports any faster. They can offer overlay and other stuff though for mixing realtime video with 3D. They really just support a few extra extensions. For modelling, they offer no improvement that you will notice.

Back in the old days you could unlock those extensions (a few years ago when I was in 3D as a day job), and you could get accelerated wireframes and a few other bits and pieces) by hacking the bios in. These days, its the exact same hardware, but they cut a few pins on the circuit on the gaming cards so they can't get unlocked in software. It's really not worth the additional expense.

This machine will mostly be used for digital content development for small indie game projects and photorealistic 3D rendered scenes (3DsMax, PhotoshopCS5, ZBrush, Unity3D and FlashCS5).
SSD will make unity, flash and ps fly. Those are file heavy at the best of times. The i7 will maul all the listed apps. if you must, get 2 i7's.

nvidia is best. Ati is cheaper. Thats the state of affairs right now.

Please ignore industry cards like quadro or fire, or whatever, you're not going to do anything except lose money. Money that's best spent on great software like unity pro, more ram, and a far better display (preferbly, dual high quality displays).

Investing in a top quality multiple monitor setup will pay off big time in productivity. A gaming card will eat 2 for breakfast. A quadro will eat 16. Do you need 16 monitors? no. Do you need more than 1gb onboard ram? nope. The point of the workstation cards is they can do an insane amount of antialiasing and have the ram for extremely high resolutions. Resolutions and AA you will never use unless you are doing realtime overlays for production. They will not help you render more polygons than a gaming card, nor help you do photoreal renders.

Most of the extensions in the pro cards do not actually get accessed by anything but custom software either. Max and Maya have realtime previews and accelerated renders which workstation cards can be used for (but so can gaming cards), and these will not give you photoreal renders. For that, you need to trim back the spending on the card, and give more spending on the cpu.

There's a lot of buzz talk on how it can accelerate rendering, but due to the large array of programs you use (most of which don't care a jot for quadro) you will be wasting it.

Get two i7's, SSD, a top-line gaming card, as as much ram as you can with two displays of really high quality.

http://tech.icrontic.com/article/amd-un ... and-v7900/

The benchmarks

Because of the unique nature and usage scenarios of these workstation GPUs, we are not going to break down dozens of different benchmarks and give you Crysis numbers and all of that—it’s ultimately pointless, and people who are the target market for this class of hardware don’t really need to know how they perform in 3DMark at any rate. Our test system was an AMD Phenom X4 965 at 3.4ghz and 4gb of RAM on Windows 7 64-bit. We’ll do a follow-up article with the charts and graphs that the more pedantic among you expect, along with some interesting comparisons to other products, but in the meantime, I will summarize it with this: In SpecViewperf 11, the V7900 is about neck-and-neck with the $4000 NVIDIA Quadro 6000, and in some tests exceeded the legendary Q6000. This is a bull in a china shop, this card.

For now, considering the performance, new technologies, incredible advancements in power usage, and very compelling price, I have no doubts at all about presenting AMD our coveted Golden Fedora award for this groundbreaking release. This generation of cards is a very, very serious game changer for a great many people in a lot of different industries, and if you are at all serious about DCC, signage, science, imaging, oil & gas exploration, and other workstation GPU tasks, you absolutely must take a long and hard look at these cards, because they may vastly improve your work.

Firepro V7900 keeps up with a $4000 Quadro 6000 ( a $4000 or so card!! ) in some benchmarks, and is faster than a Quadro 4000 most of the time, and it has Eyefinity multi-monitor support as well...

Quadro 4000 costs $780 on newegg right now: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814133324

FirePro V7900 costs $700 on newegg right now: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... &Tpk=v7900

I would definitely go with the V7900, it is a faster overall card and $80 cheaper!! Uses less power, and Eyefinity multimonitor support, win win!

As Clone mentioned, cpu power and amount of ram/speed also make a big difference in these applications, so "spread the wealth" so to speak for best results here. Cheers.
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:19 pm

$4000 Quadro 6000 ( a $4000 or so card!! )

:shock:
How do such cards differ from the cards we use to buy? I wonder what it is that earns those cards such a price premium.
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:22 pm

Optimized drivers for professional workstation software mostly! :wink: :twisted:
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:30 pm

Good thing they sell consumer cards by the millions.. I would hate to see the price if those sales were merely in the hundreds....
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby thefallen » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:49 pm

Hammer_Time wrote:Mebbe this review can help you decide:

http://hothardware.com/Reviews/AMD-Fire ... Graphics-/

Performance Summary: With all of the results now in, let's analyze the numbers and see what they tell us. First up, the AMD FirePro V7900 had a great showing overall throughout all of our benchmarks. It performed better than the FirePro V7800 in most of our tests, and even trumped the high-end FirePro V8800 in a few. That's especially impressive considering the V8800 is technically a more powerful card and costs about $1200. Without a doubt, the AMD FirePro V7900 delivered the goods--professional users should definitely take note.

In the past, we've said that the multiple monitor Eyefinity technology found throughout the latest FirePro line is one of its greatest strengths, and we believe that statement remains true today. If you're on the fence between a FirePro or Quadro, and multiple monitors is a concern, keep that in mind. AMD hits more price points than NVIDIA by offering consumers more models to choose from at competitive price points. There are no fewer than 16 current generation FirePro cards available on the market at this time. On the other hand, Quadro cards have shown their performance lead at the high end. But if you're looking for a low power, multiple monitor solution for your 3D animation and rendering workloads, definitely check out the new FirePro V7900 and V5900 cards from AMD.

http://fireuser.com/blog/side_by_side_c ... _in_catia/

This thread should interest you a lot:

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/109128 ... uadro-4000

hippocoder

Posted: 07:55 AM 2 Weeks Ago

A simple i7 with SSD and 8gb ram with any gaming nvidia card 500x will blow anything out of the water for rendering and modelling, do you really need more? Just ensure the card has a gig.

Those pro cards don't necessarily update the viewports any faster. They can offer overlay and other stuff though for mixing realtime video with 3D. They really just support a few extra extensions. For modelling, they offer no improvement that you will notice.

Back in the old days you could unlock those extensions (a few years ago when I was in 3D as a day job), and you could get accelerated wireframes and a few other bits and pieces) by hacking the bios in. These days, its the exact same hardware, but they cut a few pins on the circuit on the gaming cards so they can't get unlocked in software. It's really not worth the additional expense.

This machine will mostly be used for digital content development for small indie game projects and photorealistic 3D rendered scenes (3DsMax, PhotoshopCS5, ZBrush, Unity3D and FlashCS5).
SSD will make unity, flash and ps fly. Those are file heavy at the best of times. The i7 will maul all the listed apps. if you must, get 2 i7's.

nvidia is best. Ati is cheaper. Thats the state of affairs right now.

Please ignore industry cards like quadro or fire, or whatever, you're not going to do anything except lose money. Money that's best spent on great software like unity pro, more ram, and a far better display (preferbly, dual high quality displays).

Investing in a top quality multiple monitor setup will pay off big time in productivity. A gaming card will eat 2 for breakfast. A quadro will eat 16. Do you need 16 monitors? no. Do you need more than 1gb onboard ram? nope. The point of the workstation cards is they can do an insane amount of antialiasing and have the ram for extremely high resolutions. Resolutions and AA you will never use unless you are doing realtime overlays for production. They will not help you render more polygons than a gaming card, nor help you do photoreal renders.

Most of the extensions in the pro cards do not actually get accessed by anything but custom software either. Max and Maya have realtime previews and accelerated renders which workstation cards can be used for (but so can gaming cards), and these will not give you photoreal renders. For that, you need to trim back the spending on the card, and give more spending on the cpu.

There's a lot of buzz talk on how it can accelerate rendering, but due to the large array of programs you use (most of which don't care a jot for quadro) you will be wasting it.

Get two i7's, SSD, a top-line gaming card, as as much ram as you can with two displays of really high quality.

http://tech.icrontic.com/article/amd-un ... and-v7900/

The benchmarks

Because of the unique nature and usage scenarios of these workstation GPUs, we are not going to break down dozens of different benchmarks and give you Crysis numbers and all of that—it’s ultimately pointless, and people who are the target market for this class of hardware don’t really need to know how they perform in 3DMark at any rate. Our test system was an AMD Phenom X4 965 at 3.4ghz and 4gb of RAM on Windows 7 64-bit. We’ll do a follow-up article with the charts and graphs that the more pedantic among you expect, along with some interesting comparisons to other products, but in the meantime, I will summarize it with this: In SpecViewperf 11, the V7900 is about neck-and-neck with the $4000 NVIDIA Quadro 6000, and in some tests exceeded the legendary Q6000. This is a bull in a china shop, this card.

For now, considering the performance, new technologies, incredible advancements in power usage, and very compelling price, I have no doubts at all about presenting AMD our coveted Golden Fedora award for this groundbreaking release. This generation of cards is a very, very serious game changer for a great many people in a lot of different industries, and if you are at all serious about DCC, signage, science, imaging, oil & gas exploration, and other workstation GPU tasks, you absolutely must take a long and hard look at these cards, because they may vastly improve your work.

Firepro V7900 keeps up with a $4000 Quadro 6000 ( a $4000 or so card!! ) in some benchmarks, and is faster than a Quadro 4000 most of the time, and it has Eyefinity multi-monitor support as well...

Quadro 4000 costs $780 on newegg right now: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814133324

FirePro V7900 costs $700 on newegg right now: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... &Tpk=v7900

I would definitely go with the V7900, it is a faster overall card and $80 cheaper!! Uses less power, and Eyefinity multimonitor support, win win!

As Clone mentioned, cpu power and amount of ram/speed also make a big difference in these applications, so "spread the wealth" so to speak for best results here. Cheers.

thank you hammer_time
I will buy firepro 7900 but another question. if I wanna buy ssd for my work what specs should i consider ?do i need to get a ssd with high capacity or get ssd with 60 or 120gb for my os and program and use hdd for storing my file ?
thefallen

Postby Hammer_Time » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:07 am

No probs...

I would recommend a fast SSD drive coupled with a huge 7200rpm SATA hdd for data storage as you mentioned above.

Probably 120 GB is enough to hold your workfiles and OS right?

Avoid OCZ "3" series ( Vertex , Agility, Solid ) because they have a firmware bug that caused windows to do BSOD all the time ( we have a thread dedicated to this issue btw ). Firmware 2.15 is supposed to "fix" this issue, but since it was just released last week we don't really know if it actually does the trick or not.. avoid OCZ SSD at all cost right now!! Unless you like constant reboots and BSOD...

Mebbe get something like this:

http://www.guru3d.com/article/corsair-f ... -review/16

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews ... pyro/8.htm

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1669/8/

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820233191

Corsair Force Series GT CSSD-F120GBGT-BK 2.5" 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

was: $299.99
$199.99

Awesome fast drive, reliable too!! User reviews very positive!

There is one thing you have to do with all these drives, turn their power management setting off, else your pc will BSOD when you try to wake it up from "Sleep" mode in Windows...this is common to every brand SSD using this Sandforce controller:

Pros: In my experience I have found that the ONLY thing that is in need of being done is that the Sleep Options in Win7 OS need to be deactivated. The problem in the SSD is that the Sandforce Controller and the Firmware (so it effects ALL SSD's using SANDFORCE Controllers not just one brand or SATAIII as my OCZ Vertex2 SATAII SSD's are effected also) are incompatible with my Z68A-GD80 Motherboard and my P55A-UD3 Motherboard, the latter being a primarily SATAII board and the other being a primarily SATAIII board. I had tried all kinds of "Stuff" to correct the problem and nothing worked in the end because at some point the board wants to enter a sleep mode and upon waking it would then LOCK.
If you read through the reviews the common thing you will read is that "the board is really fast and then after a couple hours of gaming" "then I start getting BSOD's"
Then I installed the new Corsair SSD and installed Windows7 Pro and it seemed solid and I was thinking that "the problem is gone", so

Cons: took a break and walked away from the machine. When I came back the computer was in a sleep state, I "woke it up" and immediately was looking at a BSOD. So I re-booted went into the Control Panel and then went to Power Options and turned off ALL Sleep options except Hybrid Sleep and I have not had a crash in well over a week.

Pros: SATAIII, RAID0-able, Sandforce Controller and Micron NAND. v1.3.3 FW is Stable

Cons: None, except that the SSD's are NOT compatible with Win7 with Sleep Options activated in the OS. after adj they become Stable as a Rock.

Other Thoughts: There has been much talk about these drives being un-stable and problematic, this is the case if you don't follow the directed work-around. Update the Firmware and go into the Windows Control Panel's "Power Options", once in the Power Options you have to turn OFF all Sleep and Hibernation options. The only Sleep option that will not adversely affect the system is the "Hybrid" sleep option. All of the 3 areas the need to be adjusted are found in the drop downs under the Power Options: Sleep areas.

Also make SURE you enable AHCI in your motherboard BIOS settings for the SATA controller you have attached your SSD Flash drive to...if you leave it in default "IDE" mode ( compatibility mode ) then these drives all throw BSOD errors as they are only happy in AHCI mode... be warned!! Other than that you should be good to go with a fast SSD drive as your OS / programs / workfile drive...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:03 am

With mechanical harddrives rising in price (due to heavy rain and flooding in Thailand) more and more, these SSD's may soon be the cheaper alternative...
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Stupify » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:39 am

thefallen,

Do not trust any SSD drives still though. Always - Always backup your key files on a HDD regularly or at each milestones. From all the stories I have read the issues can happen at any time - no given time frame. So best to have two copies of all your data.

clone,
I recall the latest and greatest version of Photoshop was supposed to support GPU acceleration. Yet I can't find much articles showing the differences between CPU and GPU performance on PS.
What goes around comes around with interest!
Stupify

Postby Hammer_Time » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:29 am

Yes, always backup your critical data as Stupe recommends, very important!!

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/404/kb404439.html

Optimize performance | Photoshop CS4, CS5

Optimize your hardware setup

Use a fast enough processor
Max out on RAM
Use a fast, large hard disk
Solid-state disks

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/the- ... -tested/17

http://www.boxxtech.com/solutions/3dsmax.asp

You can see from the above 3dsmax systems how cpu power and ram and fast SSD are important factors, as well as the graphics card of course.

http://hothardware.com/News/ATI-FirePro ... D-3ds-Max/

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby clone » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:12 pm

I was planning on installing a mechanical hard drive to go with my SSD... I have two Raptor 150's sitting idle on my desk beside me.

when time came to install I started thinking "WTF am I thinking, I want it all fast, screw this I bought an SSD and I want it all"

if anything I'd recommend you install a mechanical drive for data backup only... or use a flash drive either or but if you don't plan on using more than 100gb's of space especially now with hdd's rising in price don't bother.

p.s. after going through the reviews without a doubt if it were me I'd go FirePro 7900 given it sells for $30 less and destroys the Quadro 4000 more often than not.

if you were comparing a Quadro 5000 or 6000 I'd have reconsidered but the 4000 was too weak.
clone
X-bit Film Critic

Postby Hammer_Time » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:43 pm

Actually the V7900 is $80 USD cheaper than a Quadro 4000 ( on newegg.com currently that is ), which makes it even more attractive! :wink: :D /end nitpick

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby clone » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:41 pm

was looking at Cdn pricing.
clone
X-bit Film Critic

Postby Hammer_Time » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:43 pm

Okay

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby thefallen » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:05 pm

what I found on the web , amd firepro driver will crash several time and amd doesnt update their driver as nvidia . is that true?
thefallen

Postby clone » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:46 pm

what I found on the web , amd firepro driver will crash several time and amd doesnt update their driver as nvidia . is that true?
both AMD and Nvidia video cards crash, both AMD and Nvidia drivers update, both AMD and Nvidia video cards will perform differently depending on the software used.

if you go back to the beginning of this thread you'll notice I mentioned that neither AMD's firepro 7900 nor the Nvidia 4000 Quadro make much use of the apps you plan on using, both applications are cpu and ram dependent using software renderers instead of 3d API's like D3D or Open GL.

you may want to consider getting much cheaper comparable desktop parts instead.

as for the "FirePro will crash and it's driver doesn't get updated", it's FUD spread by Nvidia purists just like the same comments made against Quadro are made by AMD purists.
clone
X-bit Film Critic

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:01 pm

Last i saw anyone try to compare drivers, though for regular cards mostly, AMD came out slightly on top.
NVidia has been catching up though so maybe they will even out in the next year or so.
Harder to find info about pro cards, but i don´t think either AMD or NVidia is any seriously ahead there right now.
And if one is, i very much doubt it to be NVidia atm, considering how much problems they´ve had in the last several years with desktop drivers.
This has been an objective and completely impartial message from the propaganda bureau of DIREWOLF75. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Location: Isthmus of Baldur (modernly known as Bollnäs), Sweden

Postby Hammer_Time » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:51 pm

Clone, he says he wants to use 3dsmax, that app takes great advantage of Firepro driver as shown in benchmark results here:

http://hothardware.com/News/ATI-FirePro ... D-3ds-Max/

AutoCAD 2010 and 2011

Take your designs further. The new AutoCAD 2010 and 2011 performance plug-ins from AMD are designed to optimize application performance on ATI FirePro professional graphics.

Building, infrastructure and manufacturing practitioners will experience a phenomenal performance boost when running AutoCAD 2010 or 2011 on ATI FirePro professional graphics, compared to AMD's consumer graphics. The entry-level ATI FirePro V3800 achieved almost double the performance per dollar of a mid-ranged consumer graphics card, while the midrange ATI FirePro V5800 achieved more than 2X performance per dollar of a high-end consumer graphics card.

3ds Max 2010 and 2011

Create stunning 3D. The new 3ds Max 2010 and 2011 performance plug-ins from AMD are designed to optimize application performance on ATI FirePro professional graphics.

Visual effects artists and graphic designers creating games, film and television content can take advantage of incredible performance with 3ds Max 2010 and 2011 running on ATI FirePro professional graphics.

ATI FirePro Professional Graphics family

AMD offers a variety of ATI FirePro professional graphics solutions designed specifically to meet professional needs at every level:

* ATI FirePro V3800 - Ideal for handling small to medium-sized models and few assembly parts and components
* ATI FirePro V4800 - Tackles medium to large data sets in production environments while giving users the flexibility to expand beyond two displays
* ATI FirePro V5800 - Best suited for users working with a broad range of applications, medium to large data sets and advanced visual effects
* ATI FirePro V7800 - Capable of managing complex models and visual effects, while helping users meet the requirements demanding visualization jobs
* ATI FirePro V8800 - Ideal for tackling large data sets or shader-intensive applications, who demand high-end computational power and superior visual flexibility
* ATI FirePro V9800 - Best suited for professionals working with the largest data sets and the most intensive 3D environments

Photoshop not so much, a regular desktop card will do fine for that, but for 3dsmax it certainly does make a big difference, mainly due to driver/plugin optimized for Firepro card ( same with nVidia Quadro cards, they produce better results in 3dsmax than "regular desktop" nvidia gaming cards do ).

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/20 ... x?pageid=5

AMD FirePro V7900 Review: Best in Class?

6/6/2011 by: Matt Pooled

Value for Money

After many years of paying premiums for entry level high-end workstations we have solutions that are affordable and have the power within to provide the end-users a substantial stable workstation that will last for some time to come. We have over the last few weeks completely stressed this card to its fullest without any complications. This professional graphics card has to offer plenty of room for expansion in whichever way it is utilized; as a home gamer, SoHo Workstation. Or, and more appropriate within the corporate market place as an upgrade to the standalone desktop unit as there is so much power within. The studios, CAD/CAM and DCC market has obtained an important injection of technology which will further advance their current systems and once more reiterating, a sound solid fast system for productivity output. Consequently and once more we have to reiterate the objectivity of price performance.

For those in the UK and Euro Land in pricing has been confirmed at around £500.00 plus Vat and Delivery. In the United States, the recommended retail price was set at $799 but the e-tailers quickly drove that to $750 level. We even managed to find the card for $718.

Conclusion

The FirePro V7900 performance shown within is without a doubt on this platform superb, no more can the cry of we need more speed. It's here. We have more to show in the very near future covering much more of this remarkable piece of technology and not forgetting the importance now of AMD’s Eyefinity multi-display technology.
This is a much needed advantage to the professional utilising multi monitor displays. One card that drives four displays, a significant leap forward in technology and with the new DisplayPort technology standards – better outputs to the end-user. Not to digress support for Stereo, Stream Computing and importantly ATI CrossFire Pro Support. With these types of choice, you cannot argue here with a card that contains so much flexibility.

An exceptional timely product release from AMD and generally AMD has surpassed itself with this technology upgrade allowing many to have what they could only read about or place on their wish lists. For everything shown here, we award AMD FirePro V7900 2GB with our Editor's Choice 2011 award.

More 7900 benchmarks:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=a ... 7900&num=4

Besides the FirePro V7900 being a big performance upgrade over the FirePro V7800, this new professional workstation graphics card also has to its advantage four DisplayPort 1.2 connectors, Stereo 3D, PCI Express 2.1, AMD PowerTune, GeometryBoost technology, and other new and enhanced features.

This is very impressive too:

http://www.geeks3d.com/20110521/amd-fir ... hics-card/

AMD FirePro professional graphics have been engineered to deliver innovation and reliability for a wide range of professional operating environments, including Windows® 7, Windows XP, Windows Vista and Linux. The unifi ed driver, which supports all
AMD FirePro workstation products, helps reduce the total cost of ownership by simplifying installation, deployment and maintenance.

New for this generation of AMD FirePro products is AMD Powertune technology. This state-of-the-art power management technology provides direct control over GPU power usage. Applications enjoy ultimate performance with dynamic clock optimization, while keeping your workstation energy-conscious and helping to conserve electricity when it isn’t needed.

In addition, AMD FirePro products incorporate AMD’s unique AutoDetect technology. As users open new 3D applications, or move between them, optimized AMD FirePro graphics driver settings are automatically configured for maximum performance, no matter what the user’s workflow demands.

Also new for this generation of AMD FirePro products is GeometryBoost technology. GeometryBoost is a unique hardware capability that processes two primitives per clock cycle. What this means is incredibly fast geometry performance, ensuring smooth handling of complex models.

http://www.amd.com/us/Documents/AMD_Fir ... asheet.pdf

You do get what you pay for with a professional graphics workstation card like the V7900 running Workstation sw like 3dsmax and similar...not the same as desktop card performance...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:51 am

In addition, AMD FirePro products incorporate AMD’s unique AutoDetect technology. As users open new 3D applications, or move between them, optimized AMD FirePro graphics driver settings are automatically configured for maximum performance, no matter what the user’s workflow demands.

They should incorporate something like this in consumer cards for gaming workloads...
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Next

Return to General Hardware Forum