CoolerMaster "StormTrooper" premium gaming case...

Forum for general hardware discussions. If you don't know, where your question belongs, it is the right place to go.

Moderators: CPUagnostic, MTX, Celt, Hammer_Time, Sauron_Daz, Tacitus, Anna

CoolerMaster "StormTrooper" premium gaming case...

Postby Hammer_Time » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:43 pm

http://www.techpowerup.com/152695/Coole ... assis.html

Cooler Master Announces CM Storm Trooper Premium Gaming Chassis

CM Storm, of the Cooler Master Group, unleashes a truly magnificent feat of engineering into an arena that represents the future of warfare; the Trooper full-tower chassis. Capable of lightning fast redeployment, it’s the first in its class to include an ultra-strong carrying handle; allowing a gamer to travel with the finest system configurations available with relative ease. CM Storm Trooper includes features that are most coveted by gaming enthusiasts in that it has full dust filter coverage, a fan controller, an external SSD drive hot-swap dock and two uniquely designed modular hard drive cages. These features give CM Storm Trooper the ability to adapt to workstation or water-cooled gaming configurations easily.

Okay, its looks are not for everyone, you either love it or hate it!

I think it is an evolution of the "HAF 932" gaming case myself, and I kind of like it actually, especially the way they integrated the "handle" into the top of the case, very handy if you like to drag your case around from time to time. Also love the arrangement of the ports/connectors etc. on the top front of the case, looks very stylish and well laid out, at least imho.

The only thing I don't like is that they reduced the size of the side panel air vent holes from the HAF 932 design, meaning less air flow to graphics card from the fan on the side panel. The 932 had a huge 240mm case fan on the side panel to specifically help cool the video card(s) and processor, and this new case only has a 120mm fan where that 240mm fan used to be. However, they DID add in 3 x 120mm fans blowing directly on the hard drive cages!! ( they mention this: CM Storm Trooper contains two modular HDD cages which can hold 4HDDs and a120mm fan for cooling each. but if you look at the side pic of the case, there is only places for 3 x 120mm fans on the HDD cages,not 4 as they imply with their statement "hold 4 HDD's and a 120mm fan for cooling each"....just nitpicking here... oh wait, just noticed the fourth HDD fan is on the OTHER side of the case!! ( a lone 120mm case fan is on the right side of the case!! mystery solved ). So that probably makes up for the lost air flow right there by losing that huge 240mm side panel case fan by using multiple 120mm fans instead. 120mm fans are typically a bit noisier than slower rpm 240mm fan though, so want a review on this case to see how much noisier it is over the HAF 932 or 922 case!!

It even has a storage drawer hidden above the bottom panel too!! Nice touch! 8)

Versatile Configurations

CM Storm Trooper contains two modular HDD cages which can hold 4HDDs and a120mm fan for cooling each. These modular units can be rotated, front to back, side to side or removed altogether. CM Storm Trooper is the first chassis to allow fully modular hard drive configuration with no modification required. CM Storm Trooper can be equipped with multiple watercooling radiators.

Creatively mounting a vertical water-cooling radiator is possible with the removal of the hard drive cages and panels. CM Storm Trooper has nine expansion slots providing support for multi-GPUs in SLI or Crossfire, space for up to 14 hard drives, and a motherboard tray that supports up to XL-ATX. The Trooper is an ideal mobile arsenal to house and transport the most advanced system and cooling setups.

Reader comment:

The front panel except for the very top of it (I think that might be the SSD hot-swap) looks good. The rest is ugly, as is natural for a laser-gun case, but still...Just one part of it looking good is progress I suppose.

Actually, does anyone else see the face on top? The SSD slot being the mouth, USB3.0 the eyes, USB2.0 the nostrils, eSATA and Mic/Headphone jacks being the eyebrows...No?

:lol:

I was thinking of buying the HAF 932 when I did a full system upgrade next year, but now I am leaning towards this new StormTrooper case methinks. Gotta love the name... wonder if Lucas is getting paid royalties for the use of that name lol!!

I would also like to pay an artist to airbrush a pic of an actual stormtrooper on the side panel above the vent too, something like this:

:D

( sorry for all the pix, got a bit carried away here! :twisted: )
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Re: CoolerMaster "StormTrooper" premium gaming case...

Postby Sauron_Daz » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:48 am

I don't take my PC out a lot...
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Silver » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:54 am

*cough* relevant pictures *cough* :P
Its actually kind of nice.. not at all what I expected from a name like that. :lol:
Expected it to be more like the stormtrooper uniform.

Specs:

Intel Core i7 4930K, Kingston 32GB
ASUS GeForce GTX 770 4GB, ASUS P9X79

Aiming for impossible goals forces thinking beyond mere extrapolation of existing achievements.
Silver
X-bit Guru

Postby Sauron_Daz » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:56 am

They ARE stormtrooper related...although the one with the tattoo is out of place: the troopster pictured above her looks much better..
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:49 pm

Silver wrote:*cough* relevant pictures *cough* :P
Its actually kind of nice.. not at all what I expected from a name like that. :lol:
Expected it to be more like the stormtrooper uniform.

:lol: True!!

However the top of the case ( handle and back etc. ) does kind of look like Stormtrooper style stuff:

The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:43 am

However the top of the case ( handle and back etc. ) does kind of look like Stormtrooper style stuff:

Kind of funny, i once read about how the prop makers made the stuff for the original movies, and most of the weapons they run around with were based on old WWII leftovers, for example a bunch of MG42s that got cut down and then had some "fluff" added for extra "prettyness". STEN guns, BAR... lol they used most of the more well-used stuff. Just have to wonder where they found it all.

Which is why it looks so "authentic", because they ARE authentic! :mrgreen:
This has been an objective and completely impartial message from the propaganda bureau of DIREWOLF75. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Location: Isthmus of Baldur (modernly known as Bollnäs), Sweden

Postby Sauron_Daz » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:44 pm

If it works, why not..
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:18 pm

Mos Def! 8)

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:26 am

It's Mos Eisley!!!
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:47 am

:lol:

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby psycho_mccrazy » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:04 am

Sauron_Daz wrote:It's Mos Eisley!!!
+1
Like the good philosopher Jagger once said, you can't always get what you want.

i5-2500K + 8GB DDR3-1600 + HD7970 on Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 running W7U
Core2Duo + 4GB DDR2-800 + 7900GTX on Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R struggling with Debian 6.0.6
psycho_mccrazy
X-bit Guru

Return to General Hardware Forum