New bike (bicycle) suggestion

The Lounge offers a laid-back atmosphere for non-computer-related posts. The rules of conduct and content have been relaxed here to allow forum members more free-form interaction and freedom of topics.

If you are sensitive to adult themes or language, you may wish to stop by The Forum instead.

Moderators: CPUagnostic, MTX, Celt, Hammer_Time, Sauron_Daz, Tacitus, Anna

New bike (bicycle) suggestion

Postby Stupify » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:10 am

As some of you might know - my bike had some issues yesterday and it looks like it will cost me around $40-50 to fix it. I will look into fixing it at a later point but think this may be a good opportunity to pick up another one. My budget is around $200-$300max Cdn (preferably taxes included - 13%). I am divided between a mountain bike or a road bike - the former would be more rugged and heavy duty while the latter would be more light and faster/less stressful. My two primary goals are 1) to bike to work - 15kms each way - while having a 20lbs backpack on the back stand; 2) workout. The secondary goal is to save time - it takes me 40-45mins max on bike - 60min+ on a bus - talk about shitty transit. At the moment I don't have access to a car either.

BTW I will be going to US for 3 days this weekend and if you know good deals/location to get one let me know. Also again end of July too but would not like to wait that long.
What goes around comes around with interest!
Stupify

Re: New bike (bicycle) suggestion

Postby Fuzz » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:38 am

Given your low budget, the only good option I can suggest is used. I have helped several workmates buy bikes in the last couple of years, and I can tell you that you must spend at least $600-700 for anything worth riding on for more than a year or 2. It is just the reality of the situation. I would urge you to up your budget. Consider what you would spend on transit for 5-10 years(my commuter bike is 14 years old, still solid!), saving on gym memberships, and put that towards something that will last you. Buying a crappy new bike every 3-5 years instead of one solid one doesn't make much sense.

Anyway, enough lecturing! You get the point. So if your budget is firm, start looking on Pinkbike.com. You will find top end gear there, sometimes at a great price. Check out Craigslist and Kijiji. Any 5 year old bike for $300 used will be 5x the bike you can get new for that price. If you find any ads you like, let me know, I can advise further.

As for type of bike, you may want to look at what is called a cross-bike. They are not full road, but not as durable as a mountain bike. You run tire width in between the 2. They are great commuter bikes because they are a bit more stable than road bikes given the seating position, but still plenty fast.
It's not the penguins I hate, so much as the idea of penguins.
“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.” - Stephen Hawking
Fuzz
X-bit Penguin Hater

Postby Hammer_Time » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:55 am

I agree with Fuzz

Buy a hybrid ( or "cross-bike" as Fuzz calls it ) mountain bike, they have smooth tread pattern in the middle for pavement riding, and a little bit of "knobbies" on the sides for light duty trail riding. They are also configured better for street riding than a pure mountain bike.

I bought a Kuwahara FastLane 150 hybrid mountain bike 2 years ago on sale for $300 locally here in Kitchener and it rocks, very smooth shifting and has front suspension ( limited travel but helps soak up the bumps ). It also has a mini-shock in the seat post to help absorb shocks, so it is very comfortable. They don't make or sell them around here anymore afaik, but I was happy with it for the price I paid. I am a very casual rider so it is more than sufficient for my needs.

Kuwahara is a Japanese brand , and did you know that the BMX bike that E.T. rode in the moon scene is a Kuwahara!!?? It's true:

http://www.cycleexif.com/kuwahara

:lol:

Here is a pic of my bike to give you an idea of what a hybrid mountain bike looks like:

http://www.funtimeshobbyandcycle.com/ht ... _mens.html

Since you can't buy that one anymore, just check out your local cycle shops for deals, or as Fuzz recommended, buy a used one in very good shape and save 5x the retail price!! Make sure you take it on a good test ride first before buying it though!! Happy shopping!

Here is a nice used Specialized Hybrid for sale in GTA, offer him $300! :twisted: :wink:

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell ... Z293062015

Here is a nice Trek hybrid with fenders ( good in the rain ), offer $300 :

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell ... 290464639#
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:03 am

A used bike seems to be the option you want to persue..
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:06 am

The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Fuzz » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:52 am

This is more like a real cross bike:
http://www.konaworld.com/09/09_jakethesnake_en.cfm
“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.” - Stephen Hawking
Fuzz
X-bit Penguin Hater

Postby Sauron_Daz » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:55 am

Hammer_Time wrote:Just stay within budget!! :scout: :twisted:

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell ... Z288510152

:lol:

But what a bike...!
(Why would he be selling it...?)
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Akram » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:03 am

Want Al or steel?
Akram
X-bit Swami

Postby Stupify » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:25 am

Few bikes:

1) http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5 ... ?locale=en

2) http://www.sportchek.ca/product/index.j ... d=11481583

3) http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5 ... ?locale=en

My issue with buying a used is that there is no guarantee on the size and the time when I will find a good bike and spending that much money on a bike that will be primarily used for commute I am having difficulty agreeing to it. I would definitely love to buy those higher end bikes but want to keep the $$$ figure down in case I shift my job further away which I plan to by year's end.
Stupify

Postby Stupify » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:27 am

Akram wrote:Want Al or steel?

I don't know enough about the bikes to really comment on that. I assume Al would be lighter and possibly cheaper, while the steel would be more sturdier and heavy.
Stupify

Postby Stupify » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:32 am

Could I ask if you guys can tell me what specs mean what and how does that impact the ride?
Stupify

Postby Fuzz » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:48 am

I spent 2 years building bikes for department stores, that is why I offer my warnings. They really are rolling trainwrecks. Rims that bend if you look at them wrong, squishy brakes that are lucky to survive a test run, handlebars that fold in half, peddles that snap, and shifters that are virtually impossible to set properly. I never felt quit right about sending those things on the street.

At the very least, stay away form the full suspension bikes. They are so heavy, and the shocks will suck your pedaling momentum. The equivalent priced hard tail will be much better quality.
This is probably alright:
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5 ... ?locale=en

though I have a tough time recommending any of them.
Fuzz
X-bit Penguin Hater

Postby Fuzz » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:57 am

http://www.sportchek.ca/product/index.j ... d=11134576

This is probably a good one, though it looks like they only have 16"? Not sure how tall you are, 16" might be a little small.

Things to watch out for when buying, make sure the tires spin straight, no wobbles or up and down. Look at the rear cogs when you spin the chain, make sure they stay straight. I built a lot that had a wobble that will make the chain jump around, and it is impossible to get gears to shift properly. Check all the brake levers and shifters, make sure they are tight on the handlebar. Most of the bikes are assembled by people who don't really care, so make sure everything is tight.
Fuzz
X-bit Penguin Hater

Postby Stupify » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:42 am

Just as an fyi - i have Mountain Lite Renegade currently.

again i want to know what specs mean what and how does that impact the ride? maybe this might help me understand the value of each bike.
Stupify

Postby Hammer_Time » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:50 am

This is your best bet for a decent used hybrid bike:

Get something like that after you have saved the money up. That bike is $800 new and only 2 months old!!

Trek make awesome bikes, good rims, shifters, brakes, everything is quality!! You get what you pay for, as Fuzz says.
Bike has shocks and seat post suspension, very comfy!! Just raise or lower the seat as necessary.

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Fuzz » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:55 am

I'm not sure what you mean by "specs", I assume it is the bike components? The better the components, the better shifting/breaking etc you will have. The problem you had with your old bike is indicative of low quality components. The more you pay, the tougher the parts will be, they will shift smoother, last longer, be easier to work on and adjust . . .

The thing with buying a $500- $800 used bike is you can always sell it for 90% of what you pay for it. A $300 department store bike will be worth $50 in 2 years.
Fuzz
X-bit Penguin Hater

Postby Fuzz » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:57 am

Hammer_Time wrote:This is your best bet for a decent used hybrid bike:

Get something like that after you have saved the money up. That bike is $800 new and only 2 months old!!

Trek make awesome bikes, good rims, shifters, brakes, everything is quality!! You get what you pay for, as Fuzz says.
Bike has shocks and seat post suspension, very comfy!! Just raise or lower the seat as necessary.

Great find! That is what I am talking about.
Fuzz
X-bit Penguin Hater

Postby Hammer_Time » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:58 am

Yep, just hope that bike is still for sale by the end of next month ( when Stupify plans to buy a bike ) ! :? :wink:

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:44 am

Its not far outside the mentioned budget..
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Stupify » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:58 am

what about this one:
http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell ... 290317320#

By specs I meant components and their characteristics:

1) Gears - how does it matter if the bike has more gears? How many is good? i had 5 in the current bike.
2) Speed - i see 21 speed, 24 speed, ... what does it matter?
3) Suspension - full, front, back?
4) wheel size and type - i am 5'9".
5) weight of the bike i should stay around?
6) ... Any thing else that I should look out for?
Stupify

Next

Return to The Lounge