New Tomb Raider ( 2012 ) game trailer!

Hardcore gamers, share your exciting experience with other fans! Discuss games both old and new , share tips and advice.

Moderators: CPUagnostic, MTX, Celt, Hammer_Time, Sauron_Daz, Tacitus, Anna

New Tomb Raider ( 2012 ) game trailer!

Postby Hammer_Time » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:54 pm

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011 ... mbargo.ars

Looks like it will be fun when it launches next year... Lara is looking better ( and tougher! ) than ever! :D
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Re: New Tomb Raider ( 2012 ) game trailer!

Postby Sauron_Daz » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:22 am

Is the PC version just a port?
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby psycho_mccrazy » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:25 am

the quality of the visuals was pretty darn good in the linked trailier. wonder whether that was the actual game engine or just the pre-rendered video!!
Like the good philosopher Jagger once said, you can't always get what you want.

i5-2500K + 8GB DDR3-1600 + HD7970 on Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 running W7U
Core2Duo + 4GB DDR2-800 + 7900GTX on Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R struggling with Debian 6.0.6
psycho_mccrazy
X-bit Guru

Postby Akram » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:37 am

Nice fall...!

The voice actor isn't that good btw. Why does the music sounds familiar?

Anyway, still a great trailer.
Akram
X-bit Swami

Postby clone » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:39 pm

as a game trailer it was totally pointless, as a movie trailer it was ok, as a technical demo showing off what can be done with CGI it was pretty cool.

and lastly as a trailer showcasing Lara Croft the Tomb Raider if it's not a re interpretation of the entire series then it's actually very bad because while neat to watch it says nothing other than she's not big on drowning.
When we lose the right to be different, we lose the privilege to be free.
clone
X-bit Film Critic

Postby TAViX » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:57 am

The last Tombs were pathetic, I hope this one will be more adventure, and LESS stupid useless puzzles. And yeas, 3rd person view please!
TAViX
X-Bit Gundarm

Postby kabila » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:31 am

last was not good . but I think this time it will be rocking
kabila

Postby mauser1891 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:51 pm

Hello Folks,

I have not acquired this game as of yet. I know that many sites are referring to TressFX as a AMD, or more directly as I refer to the Division as ATI.
But I am going to defer to hexus.net's article here and state that TressFX was a joint improvement on DirectCompute programming language with Crystal Dynamics.
It is not merely a ATI 7xxx series exclusive feature, but a Order-Independent Transparency (OIT) or High Definition Ambient Occlusion (HDAO) DirectX 11 technology improvement.
As it was in this statement, “TressFX is not exclusive to AMD, it works on any DirectX11 card, similar to some other AMD-built technologies - for example Order-Independent Transparency (OIT) or High Definition Ambient Occlusion (HDAO).”
I am merely providing this as a addendum to this thread for those that may do a search, and may have a NVIDIA GPU solution.
<Edit/Insertion> Here is a link for a video covering DirectCompute, and the one speaking is a NVIDIA Dev I believe. Note his shirt. ;) </Edit/Insertion> http://channel9.msdn.com/Blogs/gclassy/ ... s-Pipeline
I am not always correct, but I do try to go to the source and not to be myth-guided. :D
My choice is to hear as much as I can from real user's than some game site that is paid for a review.
So I value what you all post here which I really base my choice of games. Besides my friends. ;)

Thank You,
mauser1891

TressFX article; http://hexus.net/tech/news/graphics/523 ... d-tressfx/
NVIDIA DirectCompute; https://developer.nvidia.com/directcompute
Microsoft's DirectCompute; http://blogs.msdn.com/b/chuckw/archive/ ... mpute.aspx
mauser1891

Postby Hammer_Time » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:25 am

Yep, TressFX does work on my nVidia GTX 560 Ti, but there is a large performance hit so I have the Hair setting on "normal" instead. TressFX makes Lara's hair look more realistic of course but the normal setting is not "awful" in comparison. I am sure if I had a stronger card ( GTX 660 Ti or HD 7950 or better ) then I would have TressFX enabled for sure and still have smooth gameplay... I have all other settings maxxed out/"Ultra" at 1920x1200 and it plays smoothly enough for my liking...using FXAA instead of MSAA to keep fps higher but still looks quite nice to my eye...

I am quite enjoying this game tbh, I recommend you acquire a copy of it at some point in the future, I think you would like it too!! My only complaint so far is the extraordinary amount of cutscenes in the game, but they do move the story along and are rendered in realtime so they look good and I can live with them... graphics are quite impressive, think Crysis 3 level graphics for Tomb Raider...it is that good!! :scout: 8)
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:13 am

You can't skip the cutscenes?
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby <R.t..>^>Fusionc » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:18 am

Finished the game last week it is a FUN game. Can't wait to play it again when I get my rig build hopefully by end of March or April. Just need to get a case, the Corsair 900D and Samsung's 840 Pro 512GB SSD.

And yes, you can skip the cut scenes.
I play games, not benchmarks. So all you fanboys/fangirls, just STFU!!
"I close my eyes, to escape the seas of reality... I dive deep into the ocean depths of my mind..."
<R.t..>^>Fusionc
X-bit Guru

Postby Hammer_Time » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:16 pm

Yup, you can hit [space] and skip the cutscenes, but they add a bit to the story so I just let them play out, plus gives me a little break ( to sip my tea or beer ) after a heavy action scene of fighting wolves ( big nasty dire wolves to be exact - no relation to our own DireWolf here :scout: ).

Corsair 900D case eh? Very nice...sleek and efficient:

Don't get too carried away modding the case:

Samsung 840 Pro SSD's are awesome, enjoy!! 8)

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:52 am

Nice case!
But more vents also means more dust goes into it...
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:46 pm

Dust is not a problem, here is a pic of his computer room:

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:28 am

:lol:
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:10 am

More info on latest TR game patch and latest nVidia driver in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20209&p=292434#p292434

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:01 am

3.5 fps..........
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:29 pm

yep... measly 3.5 fps...seems unbelievable but it is true! Others on the web report same thing happening with their nVidia cards and latest TR game patch and latest nVidia driver...lmao...with TressFX turned off I do get an 8 fps average increase than before I patched the game and updated the video driver though! 8)

Ah, here is the reason it is happening:

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=135553

You may running out of video memory, and the NVIDIA driver may not be handling this very gracefully? If you are running at a high resolution + TressFX + Ultra resolution textures this would not be unexpected on 1G card.

This is happening on my 1 GB GTX 560 Ti card, it cannot handle the combo of high res + ultra textures + TressFX , it is causing my video memory to fill up and get swapped in and out of slower system memory constantly... reducing any one of those three things fixes the problem.

I like the ultra textures and high res, so will sacrifice the TressFX for that...no problem... :D

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:26 am

Well, it IS a solution..
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:09 am

:twisted: :D

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Next

Return to Gamer's Corner