Bin Laden Dead

The Forum is the place to go for more serious non-computer-related discussions. The rules of conduct here are more strict than they are elsewhere on X-bit labs. Adult language should be kept to a bare minimum. All posts must be related to the topic thread.

Moderators: CPUagnostic, MTX, Celt, Hammer_Time, Sauron_Daz, Tacitus, Anna

Bin Laden Dead

Postby Fuzz » Sun May 01, 2011 7:35 pm

Can we leave Afghanistan yet? Please?

I don't understand all the partying going on. Hundreds of thousands dead in 2 wars, plus the terrorist attacks, and 1 guy gets killed, who hasn't had a hand in anything for years, and its party time?
It's not the penguins I hate, so much as the idea of penguins.
“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.” - Stephen Hawking
Fuzz
X-bit Penguin Hater

Re: Bin Laden Dead

Postby Akram » Sun May 01, 2011 10:01 pm

The problem is that I was surprised that many considers him a hero or a good guy at least.....oh bugger we are having a hard time with fundamentalists and this is the last thing we need.
Akram
X-bit Swami

Postby Hammer_Time » Mon May 02, 2011 12:56 am

I read Tavix's post about this before I noticed you created a new thread about it here.

My reply is here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15269&start=600

This won't change anything of course. I am glad they got him, but it will change nothing.
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Fuzz » Mon May 02, 2011 4:39 am

Lulz
“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.” - Stephen Hawking
Fuzz
X-bit Penguin Hater

Postby <R.t..>^>Fusionc » Mon May 02, 2011 6:52 am

I posted up a comment on a video mentioning that people who are cheering for the death of one man are idiots.

What I said was that it was uncanny that they were cheering for the death of a person with flags waving, chanting "USA, USA!", singing the "Star Spangled Stripes", "God Bless America", and that "Nah, nah, nah goodbye whatever" song. To me, that didn't sit well. My first reaction to Osama's death wasn't joy, or anger, but just shock and surprise. The thing that was uncanny about them cheering was that, at first glance, its almost no different than the people who cheered for the fall of the towers on 9/11 on the other side of the world.

Was the death now justified? Tell that to the innocent Afghan an Iraqi citizens that; who lost their families under fire, tell that to the families who lost loved one in the war, tell that to the political leader who spent trillions in this "war against terror" over the past freaking decade.

Would these same people be cheering still if those loyal to Osama Bin Laden attacked within 7 days from now? Terrorists are like weeds, no matter how hard, how fast you try to pull them out, they'll come back. Sometime they'll come back faster and stronger. Now that he is now seen a some martyr, I just think it will embolden and inspire other terrorist organizations to strike faster and harder against the US and its allies.

And was this really all done for justice? I don't think its justice anymore when you cheer for a mans death; probably just for the feel of revenge that these people wanted. Why do I get the feeling that the deaths of those at 9/11 are "immoral" and that the deaths over in Afghanistan and Iraq are somehow "casualties" or whatever kind of sprinkles you fancy from all the news that I have been bombarded with in the last 10 years?

Had his accomplished anything? Our economy is still in a sh1t hole, fossil fuel prices are surging, trillions of dollars are still being spent abroad, political deadlocks ensue, wars are still going on, and terrorists are still working in their latest and greatest plans.

And yet, it astounds me that many Americans, Fox News, are all like "AMERICA, F*CK YEAH!", "WE WON!!!!", climbing trees, grasping each other's hands, high-fiving, and yet it doesn't appear that they are aware of what is still going around the freaking world and to their own country.

Don't get me wrong, I am not a terrorist supporter but its just that reaction is just strange for something like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9F4-lCe0sI Osama Bin Laden Dead; Americans Still Stupid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH8Y0IsgwuQ So... Was it worth it?

Cheering:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5XVAugy_3I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QeqPYtE ... ture=feedu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHpwNbqK ... ture=feedu

I just wanted to add, a venomous snake is still dangerous even after you behead it.
I play games, not benchmarks. So all you fanboys/fangirls, just STFU!!
"I close my eyes, to escape the seas of reality... I dive deep into the ocean depths of my mind..."
<R.t..>^>Fusionc
X-bit Guru

Postby Hammer_Time » Mon May 02, 2011 7:44 am

All true - but the Americans need to pat themselves on their backs every once in a while. Obama needed this as he was really starting to sag in the polls over Libya and other problems USA faces right now. I think they knew where Osama was all along, and were waiting for the "right time" to go in and finally kill him, thus boosting morale across the US which badly needs it right now... USA! USA! USA! USA! ( morons - totally agreed with you! ). :roll: They are just as happy as the day OJ Simpson walked free from his trial after murdering his ex-wife Nicole Simpson and her lover with a knife... :roll:

Is there any coincidence to the fact this happened on our election day here in Canada, where Harper is strongly aligned with Obama and the ongoing war in Afghanistan? If Harper goes it is very likely we will pull out of Afghanistan completely, or severely reduce the number of troops and support there. This news might be considered by some Conservatives here as a sign that USA/Canada is "winning" in Afghanistan and thus garner more votes for Harper's conservatives today...

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadi ... Id=6730242

Canadian soldiers in Afghanistan happy but cautious at bin Laden's death
By Colin Perkel, The Canadian Press – 22 minutes ago

SALAVAT, Afghanistan — Word that U.S. forces had killed terrorist mastermind Osama bin Laden swept through a small Canadian patrol base in southern Afghanistan on Monday like a brush fire.

Initial disbelief gave way to cautious optimism and outright jubilation as soldiers passing each other asked: "Have you heard?"

"I just found (out) a few moments ago. Good news, another indication that we're winning the war," said a beaming Warrant Officer Gabriel Bernard as he gave a double thumb's up.

"Hopefully, it's a step forward toward world peace and a resolution for the conflict here in Afghanistan."

Some wondered what the reaction might now be from both al-Qaida and the insurgents in Afghanistan. "Many consider him a saint," said one man on the base, who preferred not to be identified.

Others _ whose first question in the news-deprived environment of the base near Salavat in Panjwaii district was "Are you kidding?" _ said they did not think they would see the day.

"I did not expect it to happen on my tour," said Sgt. Michel Pelletier.

"I guess it's a step forward because they've been trying for so long to get him."

Pelletier said bin Laden's death in neighbouring Pakistan might put a dent in the insurgents' morale, temporarily.

However, he expressed skepticism that it would change anything in Afghanistan, where Canadians along with their NATO allies have spent almost a decade fighting a stubborn insurgency following the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

"I'm sure they have other leaders who probably are going to step up," Pelletier said of al-Qaida.

"I don't see this war changing that fast."

At Canadian headquarters at Kandahar Airfield, military officials called bin Laden's death "significant."

At the same time, Capt. Annie Djiotsa, task force spokeswoman, said the killing would have no impact on Canada's combat mission as it winds down ahead of the July withdrawal.

"The threat remains and we are focused on the job at hand that the Canadian, Afghan and our international partners expect us to complete," Djiotsa said.

"We shall continue to apply the same commitment to the mission as we have been doing every day in the districts of Dand and Panjwaii."

On the base near Salavat, one soldier went from tent to tent to announce the news he had just learned via the Internet.

The death quickly became a topic of conversation, with phrases like "That's great" and "Good news" tossed out frequently.

They wanted to know where and how the operation was carried out.

One American soldier said he wondered if U.S. President Barack Obama would try to take credit for bin Laden's killing.

"The military did all the work," he said to a buddy, to strenuous agreement

We are scheduled to pull out of Afghanistan this July, but like Obama, I bet this will get delayed indefinitely... :roll:

Here we go:

Eleven People Killed As Taliban Announces Spring Offensive In Afghanistan

The killing of Osama Bin Laden comes as Taliban-led militants announced a springtime offensive in Afghanistan, killing at least 11 people on Sunday. In one attack, a suicide bomber said to be 12 years old killed four people.The Taliban has warned civilians to stay away from public gatherings, military bases and convoys, as well as government offices
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Akram » Mon May 02, 2011 9:53 am

Holy shit!! They threw the body in the sea!! What were they thinking!!??
Akram
X-bit Swami

Postby Fuzz » Mon May 02, 2011 10:19 am

Probably didn't want any chance of the body becoming a place for people to worship. Plus he was kind of a dick, and I imagine the helicopter was getting stunk up with his rotting corpse, so they probably just dumped it as soon as they could!
Fuzz
X-bit Penguin Hater

Postby Hammer_Time » Mon May 02, 2011 10:31 am

Its muslim tradition to bury the body within 1 day of death:

Bin Laden's body was later buried at sea, an official said. Many Muslims adhere to the belief that bodies should be buried within one day.

The official did not release additional details about the burial, but said it was handled in keeping with Muslim customs

Its also very convenient if you buried a dead dude with similar appearance to Bin Laden at sea, cuz now there is no way to verify his identity , he will decompose very rapidly at sea.

This all smells very "fishy" to me. It is possible they finally got him, but its also equally possible this is another conspiracy at work.

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Mon May 02, 2011 5:19 pm

Fuzz wrote:Can we leave Afghanistan yet? Please?

I don't understand all the partying going on. Hundreds of thousands dead in 2 wars, plus the terrorist attacks, and 1 guy gets killed, who hasn't had a hand in anything for years, and its party time?

Well, with this bastard dead, at least packing up and leaving Afghanistan isnt quite as big of an Automatic Epic Fail as it was so...

Lulz

:lol:
Its really damned funny, that the exact people doing the worst smear campaigns are the ones most let down by GWBs failed promise to kill the man. Will we hear any selfrecrimination or "soulsearching" from them? Lol, hell NO!

What I said was that it was uncanny that they were cheering for the death of a person with flags waving, chanting "USA, USA!", singing the "Star Spangled Stripes", "God Bless America", and that "Nah, nah, nah goodbye whatever" song. To me, that didn't sit well. My first reaction to Osama's death wasn't joy, or anger, but just shock and surprise. The thing that was uncanny about them cheering was that, at first glance, its almost no different than the people who cheered for the fall of the towers on 9/11 on the other side of the world.

Except that most of the people "cheering 9/11" wasnt actually doing that.
But indeed yes, it is "funny" how something is just fine and dandy if the "right side" is doing it and disgusting if someone else does it.

And was this really all done for justice?

Hah! Hardly. Revenge and setting an example.

Had his accomplished anything?

Probably, almost certainly something yes but its almost impossible to say how much.
His death might at best actually make quite a big positive difference and at worst will only make a small, but still probably positive, difference.

And yet, it astounds me that many Americans, Fox News, are all like "AMERICA, F*CK YEAH!", "WE WON!!!!"

Ah yes, insular and ignorant USA at its best...

I think they knew where Osama was all along, and were waiting for the "right time" to go in and finally kill him

Polling bad NOW doesnt matter much, if they DID know then this would have happened much closer to the next presidential election.
Why should any politican care about popularity between elections?

Is there any coincidence to the fact this happened on our election day here in Canada, where Harper is strongly aligned with Obama and the ongoing war in Afghanistan?

Highly unlikely. Then it would probably have happened a few days earlier, to let people have a chance to change their minds if they might.

Holy shit!! They threw the body in the sea!! What were they thinking!!??

Being nasty and very simply practical. Showcasing that "this is how you end up if you behave nasty against USA", denying followers the chance to create a place of pilgrimage and any body to make "relics" of.
They were intentionally being not nice to make the point, or rather several points.

This all smells very "fishy" to me. It is possible they finally got him, but its also equally possible this is another conspiracy at work.

Ehm... Another? :D
This has been an objective and completely impartial message from the propaganda bureau of DIREWOLF75. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Location: Isthmus of Baldur (modernly known as Bollnäs), Sweden

Postby Hammer_Time » Tue May 03, 2011 12:04 am

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby clone » Tue May 03, 2011 2:43 am

personally I found it all very odd, U.S claims they killed him then dump the body at sea??????!!!!!

WTF?

when Saddam's boys were killed they paraded them through Iraq as a symbol, Saddam they put through the process of a trial that took almost a year before they hanged him yet after killing Osama by shooting him in the head?? 2 X's and then flying his body immediately out to see to dump it in the drink?

in the end it's not a change and little more than a symbol or a flag being changed.
When we lose the right to be different, we lose the privilege to be free.
clone
X-bit Film Critic

Postby <R.t..>^>Fusionc » Tue May 03, 2011 5:14 am

Kinda funny how some posters are defending the cheersleaders >_> Thanks for the link.
I play games, not benchmarks. So all you fanboys/fangirls, just STFU!!
"I close my eyes, to escape the seas of reality... I dive deep into the ocean depths of my mind..."
<R.t..>^>Fusionc
X-bit Guru

Postby Sauron_Daz » Tue May 03, 2011 6:18 am

They could have gotten one of his many doubles, no way to (dis)prove that now..
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Fuzz » Tue May 03, 2011 7:11 am

I can't imagine his doubles get to live in big compounds with 5m high walls.
Fuzz
X-bit Penguin Hater

Postby Sauron_Daz » Tue May 03, 2011 9:20 am

I can imagine that, but in reality...
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Akram » Tue May 03, 2011 10:09 am

Throwing a body into the sea for no good reason is not ok in Islam despite what the White House said. Saudi Arabia seems not willing to accept his body and frankly.....this was the best option....

For the meanwhile the US has to revise itself and see how it was responsible for huge miseries and crimes around the world because if Ibn Laden deserved such death.....well...do the calculations.
Akram
X-bit Swami

Postby Sauron_Daz » Tue May 03, 2011 11:22 pm

You think it possible it wasn't Osama they threw in the sea?
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Tue May 03, 2011 11:28 pm

The news says that nobody wanted his body ( especially not his birth country of Saudi Arabia ) for fear of it being dug up and desecrated, or other problems like that. So USA decided it best to dispose of his body where nobody can ever get to it or cause problems around it ever again in the future. That makes sense actually.

It's still possible the whole thing was faked using a body double, but I am beginning to doubt that theory now. I believe they really got him.

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Fuzz » Wed May 04, 2011 4:37 am

clone wrote:personally I found it all very odd, U.S claims they killed him then dump the body at sea??????!!!!!

WTF?

when Saddam's boys were killed they paraded them through Iraq as a symbol, Saddam they put through the process of a trial that took almost a year before they hanged him yet after killing Osama by shooting him in the head?? 2 X's and then flying his body immediately out to see to dump it in the drink?

in the end it's not a change and little more than a symbol or a flag being changed.

I think the difference there is that Saddam was tried by his people for crimes against his people. Bin Laden didn't really have any "people" and the crimes he committed were against the US. Its not like they could take him home and have a trial that wouldn't have left the govt. embarrassed. If I were the dude in charge, I probably would have done the same thing.
Fuzz
X-bit Penguin Hater

Next

Return to The Forum