Apple sues Samsung

Do you have anything to add to our daily newswire? Then comment on our news and post your news story here!

Moderators: CPUagnostic, MTX, Celt, Hammer_Time, Sauron_Daz, Tacitus, Anna

Apple sues Samsung

Postby <R.t..>^>Fusionc » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:35 pm

>_>

http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/18/appl ... -and-ipad/

"Rather than innovate and develop its own technology and a unique Samsung style for its smart phone products and computer tablets, Samsung chose to copy Apple's technology, user interface and innovative style in these infringing products."

Also read another article on it via Semiaccurate saying that Samsung does have the cards here and can simply halt production of chips being sold to Apple and seeing them in court afterwards:

http://semiaccurate.com/2011/04/19/appl ... ly-stupid/

With that in mind, Big Fruit suing Samsung could be tantamount to suicide. All Samsung needs to do is suspend wafer starts for Apple and say, “See you in court Steve”. By the time it gets there, 2016 or so, will Apple be in business? How many months of no iAnything do you think it would take for Apple to dry up and blow away? Unlike graphics cards or memory, each ARM SoC is unique, needs a unique board, unique software, and has unique capabilities. The painful flip side of custom chips is that Apple can not make an iDevice with another part, period.

I hope Samsung really kick Apple where it hurts bad. This suing thing over patents is older than the Universe itself.
I play games, not benchmarks. So all you fanboys/fangirls, just STFU!!
"I close my eyes, to escape the seas of reality... I dive deep into the ocean depths of my mind..."
<R.t..>^>Fusionc
X-bit Guru

Re: Apple sues Samsung

Postby Silver » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:08 pm

Every phone looked more or less the same years ago.. now this just happends again with these new ones wich have a multi-touch display instead of buttons... IIRC there was some Swedish company that was first with these on a phone... thought the name of the company now escapes me.
Specs:

Intel Core i7 4930K, Kingston 32GB
ASUS GeForce GTX 770 4GB, ASUS P9X79

Aiming for impossible goals forces thinking beyond mere extrapolation of existing achievements.
Silver
X-bit Guru

Postby Hammer_Time » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:28 am

Apple is just trying to recover upcoming lost ipad sales ( to cheaper competitors flooding the market now ). Pathetic.
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:04 am

Yes. I stay as far away from Apple gear as I can.
Same for Sony.
And Intel.
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:44 pm

Sauron_Daz wrote:Yes. I stay as far away from Apple gear as I can.
Same for Sony.
And Intel.

Sony mixes good stuff with not so good so as long as you check on what you buy from Sony, you can make sure to get excellent quality.
My Sony-Ericsson mobile phone for example, its already beyond twice the age of whats considered normal lifespan, and i havent even needed to change the battery(!).
This has been an objective and completely impartial message from the propaganda bureau of DIREWOLF75. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Location: Isthmus of Baldur (modernly known as Bollnäs), Sweden

Postby Stupify » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:09 pm

DIREWOLF75 wrote:My Sony-Ericsson mobile phone for example, its already beyond twice the age of whats considered normal lifespan, and i havent even needed to change the battery(!).

i second that... my wife just loves the phone that I put through hell for the 3 years i had it and then the 2 years she has used it.... the battery life, the solid piece of hardware... everything. the phone is like a brick that won't break no matter how much you put it through.

In comparison, I broke my blackberry curve in matter of 2 years to find out they don't make any spare parts for it anymore and that I would have to buy off the market parts to fix it...
What goes around comes around with interest!
Stupify

Postby TAViX » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:39 am

Sauron_Daz wrote:Yes. I stay as far away from Apple gear as I can.
Same for Sony.

100% AGREE!

All Japanese friends here with Sony, or with ex Sony products told me the same thing. After the warranty expires in less than 1 month the products broke dead: TV, camera, laptop, sound system, clock, you name it. Funny thing the same thing happened to me a while back, hehe.
Mobile phones don't count since they are not 100% Sony ;)
TAViX
X-Bit Gundarm

Postby Sauron_Daz » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:04 am

Look here for some apple goodness.
A snippet:
IF YOU use an Apple iPhone or iPad, it is highly possible that you could be tracked almost anywhere in the world – and without your knowledge too.
We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby Hammer_Time » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:15 am

Big Brother's dream... :P

I would quote Orwell here, but you know the routine... :specs:
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby <R.t..>^>Fusionc » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:42 am

Tit for tat:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2011/ ... e-asia.ars

Samsung has responded to Apple's patent lawsuit by filing its own lawsuits against the company on Friday in South Korea, Japan, and Germany. Samsung's lawsuits don't directly address Apple's suit filed earlier this week in the US, though they do accuse the iPhone maker of violating a number of Samsung's patents related to how devices communicate with cell towers.

According to Samsung, Apple has infringed on patents on how to reduce transmission errors, reduce power during data transmission, and tether a device to a PC to share its data connection. Conversely, Apple's suit against Samsung filed Monday accuses Samsung of copying Apple's user interface design, packaging, and product design for the iPhone and iPad. When we covered the suit on Monday, we theorized that Apple might be targeting Samsung's TouchWiz UI, which is especially iOS-like in its look and feel.

"Samsung is responding actively to the legal action taken against us in order to protect our intellectual property and to ensure our continued innovation and growth in the mobile communications business," Samsung said in a statement.

Additionally, Samsung chairman Lee Kun-hee implied that Apple is simply being a bully by smacking down Samsung's success. "When a nail sticks out, [people] try to pound it down," he reportedly told the press on Friday, according to the Wall Street Journal.
"I close my eyes, to escape the seas of reality... I dive deep into the ocean depths of my mind..."
<R.t..>^>Fusionc
X-bit Guru

Postby TAViX » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:04 pm

Additionally, Samsung chairman Lee Kun-hee implied that Apple is simply being a bully by smacking down Samsung's success. "When a nail sticks out, [people] try to pound it down," he reportedly told the press on Friday, according to the Wall Street Journal.

Couldn't agree more. What Apple is doing is just pathetic. They should also sue all the phantom Chinese makers that copied the iPhone from the beginning. Idiots
TAViX
X-Bit Gundarm

Postby Hammer_Time » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:45 pm

Agreed, as if Apple profits are not "high enough" already:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-in ... le1993205/

Apple shines as profit nearly doubles

OMAR EL AKKAD — TECHNOLOGY REPORTER

From Thursday's Globe and Mail

Published Wednesday, Apr. 20, 2011 4:42PM EDT

For once, Apple Inc. (AAPL-Q350.708.292.42%) is suffering from a tablet problem – a problem its competitors wish they had.

Its recently released iPad 2 is so popular the company can’t meet demand and is dealing with “the mother of all backlogs,” according to chief operating officer Tim Cook.

Despite selling fewer-than-expected iPads, however, the most valuable technology company in the world posted fiscal second-quarter numbers that easily beat analyst expectations.

The computer maker posted revenue of $24.67-billion (U.S.) and profit soared 95 per cent to $5.99-billion, or $6.40 per diluted share, during the quarter ended March 26. During the same period last year, revenue was $13.5-billion and profit was $3.07-billion, or $3.33 per diluted share.
For this quarter, analysts had expected earnings per share of $5.37 on revenue of $23.3-billion – well below Apple’s actual results. The company’s own guidance for the quarter, which it gave out in January, was even lower.

However Apple shipped only 4.69 million iPad tablets during the quarter, falling short of the Street’s expectations, which hovered around the six-million mark. The miss is in large part a result of the transition to a second-generation tablet – the iPad 2 – in March. Apple would not release the breakdown of iPad versus iPad 2 sales during the quarter, but because consumers had anticipated the new tablet months ahead of time, it appears many opted to wait, rather than buy the older version.

As a result, Apple has so far struggled to meet iPad 2 demand, with almost all stores still sold out today, more than a month after the product went on sale.

“Demand on the iPad 2 has been staggering,” Mr. Cook said. “I’m still amazed that we're still heavily backlogged.”

“Apple is the company that is best capturing revenue and profits from the mobile revolution, in our opinion,” said Colin Gillis, director of research and senior technology analyst at BGC Financial. “No other company in the space can approach the platform and ecosystem that Apple has built to generate such revenue and profits.” While there are others with meaningful market share, they “significantly lag in generating revenue, and none deliver equivalent profits, in our view,” he said.

Their profit DOUBLED since this time last year, and they still have to sue companies for more money, greedy bastages, yet another reason I detest Crapple as a company, overpriced overhyped fruit-branded geek-wannabee products.

It is ironic to note that profit would have been even higher if Foxconn employees ( which produce many parts for Apple under contract ) hadn't all started jumping to their deaths in the past few years over super-low wages and horrid working/living conditions...

http://www.wired.com/magazine/2011/02/ff_joelinchina/

1 Million Workers. 90 Million iPhones. 17 Suicides. Who’s to Blame?

By Joel Johnson February 28, 2011 | 12:00 pm | Wired March 2011

Pic of the new "suicide jumper prevention nets" :

I’ve written thousands of posts, millions of words, about things. Usually things with electricity in them. Doing this for a living, on and off, for the better part of a decade, has greatly—perhaps fundamentally—changed how I perceive the world around me. I can no longer look at the material world as a collection of objects but instead see interfaces, histories, and materials.

To be soaked in materialism, to directly and indirectly champion it, has also brought guilt. I don’t know if I have a right to the vast quantities of materials and energy I consume in my daily life. Even if I thought I did, I know the planet cannot bear my lifestyle multiplied by 7 billion individuals. I believe this understanding is shared, if only subconsciously, by almost everyone in the Western world.

Every last trifle we touch and consume, right down to the paper on which this magazine is printed or the screen on which it’s displayed, is not only ephemeral but in a real sense irreplaceable. Every consumer good has a cost not borne out by its price but instead falsely bolstered by a vanishing resource economy. We squander millions of years’ worth of stored energy, stored life, from our planet to make not only things that are critical to our survival and comfort but also things that simply satisfy our innate primate desire to possess. It’s this guilt that we attempt to assuage with the hope that our consumerist culture is making life better—for ourselves, of course, but also in some lesser way for those who cannot afford to buy everything we purchase, consume, or own.

When that small appeasement is challenged even slightly, when that thin, taut cord that connects our consumption to the nameless millions who make our lifestyle possible snaps even for a moment, the gulf we find ourselves peering into—a yawning, endless future of emptiness on a squandered planet—becomes too much to bear.

When 17 people take their lives, I ask myself, did I in my desire hurt them? Even just a little?

And of course the answer, inevitable and immeasurable as the fluttering silence of our sun, is yes.

Just a little

The three page article is too long to replicate here, but it is an interesting read... greedy Crapple!! :fist: :evil: Apple is the LAST company that should be suing anybody right now given the above, I could see it if their profits were down, but they DOUBLED their profits and still want more, its unbelievable... I put them in the same group as SCO and Rambus, sue-happy morons without a leg to stand on...

I don't blame Foxconn here, I blame Apple who is the "Walmart" of tech purchasers these days, they shop around until they get the rock-bottom price on the components contracts they want. The volume is so high that the Chinese factories fight to the death to get these low-margin high-volume contracts. There is a price to pay for that of course, and it is the workers who usually suffer most, as was the case with Foxconn. Don't blame them entirely, blame Apple for squeezing them down to the last bloody penny , there is nothing left for workers afterwards. To Foxconn's credit, after the suicides last year, they did raise salaries a great deal, and improve worker's working and living conditions, even the safety nets helped deter further jumpers, laughable as that idea was at the time they installed them... I put the blame solely on Apple for their pure capitalist greed, to use their purchasing power ( like Walmart does ) to get rock-bottom prices, at the cost of human life and dignity... you can call me a communist if you like, but I would rather be liberal and pro-union than have to jump off a factory building because my job paid next to nothing and I lived in basically a prison in every sense of the word, with no end or escape in sight...

To put the suicide rates in perspective though:

http://www.osnews.com/story/23359/The_Foxconn_Suicides

The second thing journalists and bloggers should stop doing is withholding vital information only to be able to make more sensationalist stories that appeal to our universal western sense of superiority. If you tell us rich and comfy westerners that in 2010, ten Foxconn workers have committed suicide, we'll get all concerned and angry at the company for mistreating their workers.

However, an important bit of information is often ignored, because this bit of information kind of takes all the sting out of this juicy story: the total amount of workers at Foxconn. This massive company has an even more massive amount of workers: 486000 employees (although AP states 300000, and The New York Times says 420000). That would be 3% of the Dutch population.

This number is so immense it will fly over most people's heads, but it's a very important figure, because if you compare the number of suicides among Foxconn's 486000 employees to the Chinese average, you'll see that Foxconn is still well below said average. In China, 14 out of 100000 people commit suicide every year. This means that to match China's average, 68 Foxconn employees would have to commit suicide every year.

By comparison, in The Netherlands we have a suicide rate of 10 per 100000. The US does 11 per 100000.

These are very basic statistics. Is it harsh to reduce people to statistics? Of course it is, but in this case, it's vital, because it illustrates that these figures simply aren't out of the ordinary. Of course, every life lost is one too many, but we have to keep both feet on the ground here and look at this objectively.

So the suicide rate at Foxconn was actually less than the Chinese average that year, still does not make it "right" though..

Here is a report from a worker that infiltrated the Foxconn factory and reported about its conditions:

http://micgadget.com/3793/the-real-trut ... e-cluster/

The Real Truth Behind Foxconn’s Suicide Cluster

A good read and enlightening...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/07/busin ... icide.html

Sociologists and other academics see the deaths as extreme signals of a more pervasive trend: a generation of workers rejecting the regimented hardships their predecessors endured as the cheap labor army behind China’s economic miracle.

Rather than take their own lives, many more workers at Foxconn — tens of thousands more — have simply quit. In recent interviews here, employees said the typical Foxconn hire lasted just a few months at the factory before leaving, demoralized.

They complain about military-style drills, verbal abuse by superiors and “self-criticisms” they are forced to read aloud, as well as occasionally being pressured to work as many 13 consecutive days to complete a big customer order — even when it means sleeping on the factory floor.

Although the legal limit in China is 36 hours of overtime a month, several workers interviewed here said they regularly exceeded that by wide margins.

“They leave so soon because they can’t adjust to factory life,” said Wang Xueliu, a production team leader who has worked at Foxconn for six years. He, too, plans to leave soon, to join a new business with his brother making candles for export.

Many other manufacturers in China also struggle with high turnover.

Slaves to the New World Order. What is really scary is that after doing more investigation, it turns out that Foxconn is actually one of the BETTER chinese factories to work in these days, many other chinese factories have worse working conditions !! longer hours, lower pay, slave mentality, human rights abuses, Child slave labour, the list goes on... so as bad as we think Foxconn is, there are actually many worse places to work in China ( and around the world actually ).

Welcome to the New World Order...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:15 am

Slaves to the New World Order. What is really scary is that after doing more investigation, it turns out that Foxconn is actually one of the BETTER chinese factories to work in these days, many other chinese factories have worse working conditions !! longer hours, lower pay, slave mentality, human rights abuses, Child slave labour, the list goes on... so as bad as we think Foxconn is, there are actually many worse places to work in China ( and around the world actually ).

China at least IS evolving towards something better, and if we compare to how long it took Europe and USA to get through the same developments, they´re evolving at pure hyperspeed.
This has been an objective and completely impartial message from the propaganda bureau of DIREWOLF75. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Postby Hammer_Time » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:31 am

True... same as India, well faster than India probably, but both countries have huge populations that are demanding more and more resources as they modernize...putting strain on everything of course.

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Postby Sauron_Daz » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:27 am

Then wages will increase there too somedays, leaving us with more to pay for our toys..
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:44 pm

Sauron_Daz wrote:Then wages will increase there too somedays, leaving us with more to pay for our toys..

Lol...

Actually, when that happens, trade will finally start evening out and allow Europe and USA to compete more realistically again. Its just a matter of not going bankrupt in the meantime!
:mrgreen:
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Postby clone » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:10 am

Then wages will increase there too somedays, leaving us with more to pay for our toys.
things cost what the market is willing to pay.

wages don't determine the cost of the a product beyond manufacturing viability.

Europe and North America have been failing because they blame wages, Europe and North America's standard of living has been falling since 1970 because of this failing.
When we lose the right to be different, we lose the privilege to be free.
clone
X-bit Film Critic

Postby Sauron_Daz » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:10 pm

Really? My standard of living has been increasing since that date..quite slowly but still.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:28 pm

Sauron_Daz wrote:Really? My standard of living has been increasing since that date..quite slowly but still.

Same here.
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Postby <R.t..>^>Fusionc » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:23 pm

<R.t..>^>Fusionc
X-bit Guru

Next

Return to Breaking Technology News