anime on the web

The Lounge offers a laid-back atmosphere for non-computer-related posts. The rules of conduct and content have been relaxed here to allow forum members more free-form interaction and freedom of topics.

If you are sensitive to adult themes or language, you may wish to stop by The Forum instead.

Moderators: CPUagnostic, MTX, Celt, Hammer_Time, Sauron_Daz, Tacitus, Anna

anime on the web

Postby clone » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:30 am

I can't believe they have HD versions of Robotech on YouTube...... that is so awesome.

RoboTech is one of the few cartoons that is as good today as it was back when I watched it.... I'm on episode 3 or 4 atm
When we lose the right to be different, we lose the privilege to be free.
clone
X-bit Film Critic

Re: anime on the web

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:56 pm

Hmm i always found it a bit surprising that while im a Battletech player, i havent liked any of the "mecha" animes so far.

Just looked Robotech up, and wtf, 3 Japanese animes cut together with a new "script" into one series because Macross had too few episodes for syndication in USA... :shock:

Anyway, the only online streaming site i found that works so far is http://www.crunchyroll.com/

As i prefer to get episodes locally ( streaming SUCKS most of the time ), http://www.nyaatorrents.org/ , http://www.bakabt.com/ and http://www.anime-eden.com/ are much more preferable.
This has been an objective and completely impartial message from the propaganda bureau of DIREWOLF75. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Location: Isthmus of Baldur (modernly known as Bollnäs), Sweden

Postby Akram » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:46 pm

clone wrote:I can't believe they have HD versions of Robotech on YouTube...... that is so awesome.

RoboTech is one of the few cartoons that is as good today as it was back when I watched it.... I'm on episode 3 or 4 atm

Can't stand American dub or voice acting. They doesn't sound normal.
Akram
X-bit Swami

Postby clone » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:01 pm

Hmm i always found it a bit surprising that while im a Battletech player, i havent liked any of the "mecha" animes so far.

Just looked Robotech up, and wtf, 3 Japanese animes cut together with a new "script" into one series because Macross had too few episodes for syndication in USA...
you've never seen it before?

dude..... one of the best anime series I've ever seen.

good guys and bad guys die during battle.... amazing.

episodes where the good guys don't take a beating all day and then after taking the beating "decide" they should try using that ultimate unstoppable weapon they have been holding in reserve that plagues most anime.
.....what????? if you can find a way to criticize cartoon voice acting you really have a hate for english, what's the matter the voices not line up with the lip movements :wink:
When we lose the right to be different, we lose the privilege to be free.
clone
X-bit Film Critic

Postby <R.t..>^>Fusionc » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:06 pm

nyaa torrents . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss9q2OZRjag

Oh, and thanks for the links, dire. I am going to get some Azumanga Daioh. Saw some clips of it on youtube and its freaking hilarious. Those pigtails of Chiyo-chan are strange lol.
I play games, not benchmarks. So all you fanboys/fangirls, just STFU!!
"I close my eyes, to escape the seas of reality... I dive deep into the ocean depths of my mind..."
<R.t..>^>Fusionc
X-bit Guru

Postby Akram » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:54 pm

clone wrote:
.....what????? if you can find a way to criticize cartoon voice acting you really have a hate for english, what's the matter the voices not line up with the lip movements :wink:

Its not about lip sync, their voice acting always have a strange style i can't explain, everything seems forced and not fitting the characters. And as i said before, dub could be actually good or even surpasses the original. The key is to really feel the character.
Akram
X-bit Swami

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:28 am

you've never seen it before?

Nope. Dont think it ever aired in Sweden, and the few "serious" mecha series i´ve take a look at have all been less than interesting so nah...

dude..... one of the best anime series I've ever seen.

Maybe i´ll check out the constituent series. :mrgreen:
Like Akram, im really not fond of american voice-acting in general (the Shrek movies is one of few exceptions).

good guys and bad guys die during battle.... amazing.

Hmm, i think you would like David Webers Honor Harrington series(books, so far at least).
:wink:

:lol:
Almost 10 minutes long... Thats just evil!

Oh, and thanks for the links, dire. I am going to get some Azumanga Daioh. Saw some clips of it on youtube and its freaking hilarious. Those pigtails of Chiyo-chan are strange lol.

Azumanga is FUN. Wish there were more episodes.

Lord of the Yen(minor spoileralert, with Yukari in the role of Sauron :lol: ) :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74_dD-2twJ8
(there´s a huge amount of fun clips on youtube from Azumanga Daioh)
Like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WqfcUrcQQA
:mrgreen:
This has been an objective and completely impartial message from the propaganda bureau of DIREWOLF75. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Postby <R.t..>^>Fusionc » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:43 pm

I've seen the Nyan Roll video twice . . . in it's entirety. First one was an annoying challenge with a friend, second was when I was bored out of my mind. xD
"I close my eyes, to escape the seas of reality... I dive deep into the ocean depths of my mind..."
<R.t..>^>Fusionc
X-bit Guru

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:23 am

<R.t..>^>Fusionc wrote:I've seen the Nyan Roll video twice . . . in it's entirety. First one was an annoying challenge with a friend, second was when I was bored out of my mind. xD

Definetly masochistic tendencies! :mrgreen:
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Postby Sauron_Daz » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:38 am

We never think of us as being one of Them. We are always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Sauron_Daz
Evil OverLord Mod

Postby <R.t..>^>Fusionc » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:08 pm

Azumanga Daioh is an AMAZINGLY FUN anime. I am having a ball with the series. Half way through it towards Episode 13. I was also lucky enough to find the original Japanese audio (sounds MUCH better than the English dubs I found on youtube) with English subtitles.

What was also great with the torrent I found for the series is that whenever there is something to do with Japanese culture like "bread", there is an astrik and a small note explaining what it means in Japan. It isn't literally bread, but sandwich type food. And when there is Kanji writing that is zoomed in, there is the English equivalent beside it.

Sakaki-san is my favourite character as she likes cats and so do I xD.

Which reminds me, as some of you might remember, I did mention an orange tabby that has come into my house twice, even when all the doors were closed. The third time it came before the Netherlands vs Spain game. Well, when I at the computer, I felt something soft that brushed past my legs. I did jump out of my seat and saw it was the cat. It was more affectionate than previous encounters. It did a lot of rubbing of it head against me. Explored around the house a bit and while watching the game, it slept on my arm for a little while.

Kawaii! Too bad Sakai-san gets the worst of luck with cats.
<R.t..>^>Fusionc
X-bit Guru

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:05 am

I was also lucky enough to find the original Japanese audio (sounds MUCH better than the English dubs I found on youtube) with English subtitles.

Oh dear yes. While i generally despise dubs anyway, the English dub for THIS series is just pure horror when you have heard the originals.

What was also great with the torrent I found for the series is that whenever there is something to do with Japanese culture like "bread", there is an astrik and a small note explaining what it means in Japan. It isn't literally bread, but sandwich type food. And when there is Kanji writing that is zoomed in, there is the English equivalent beside it.

Fansubs for the win!

Sakaki-san is my favourite character as she likes cats and so do I xD.

"-hey i hear you like bears, so have this tin of canned meat with bear in it" :lol: :twisted:

It did a lot of rubbing of it head against me. Explored around the house a bit and while watching the game, it slept on my arm for a little while.

Definetly considers your house to be part of its territory. And obviously likes you.

Kawaii! Too bad Sakai-san gets the worst of luck with cats.

:D

How about Yukari´s "luck" with driving?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfaAYJU6_GQ
Chiyo -Um... since Yukari-sensei´s car looks bigger, why not put 3 people in it instead?
Nyamo -Isnt it better for less people to die?
Chiyo !!!...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYcu6o1stlc
Osaka -Oooh they´re flying

:mrgreen:

And if anyone missed to spot it, click my now updated sigpic to get directly to my own ratings on animes.
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Postby <R.t..>^>Fusionc » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:56 pm

Just finished watching Happy Lesson (not the OVA, Advance, or The Final series, at least, according to wikipedia) and I really enjoyed it. I didn't have any expectation of this series at all and was pleasantly surprised. In short, it's about Chitose Hitotose who lives with 5 teachers and their are his "mamas" who help him get through the school year as well as everyday stuff. I never expected that this series would delve deep into family relationships in that way, with humour and great insight. Unlike the crap anime that gets shipped over here in the west and onto cable (All I bloody got is Beyblade, Pokemon, Bakugan, stupid spin offs of YuGiOh, bleh), at least the stuff I get with my cable provider, the series really made you think about how you interact with the family.

There were at least two episodes that got me going, one was "Floating, Uzuki is an Angel" and "Dizzying! The Big Transformation of Her Dreams". The angel episode was about a little boy who wanted to play with Uzuki (who really isn't an angel, just dressed up as one) and the twist in this episode really pulled my heart strings. Maybe M. Night should learn from this episode.

I also like the transformation episode as it teaches that to be the perfect person (or mom in this case) is to be yourself.

There was another episode called "Nervously, Conquer the World" and the line form that episode that stuck in my head: "Love doesn't require a reason" (A mother's love needs no reason, depending on the translation).

Yes, I know, the anime that I have been enjoying lately is targeted at females, but I feel that the storylines, character development, plot, etc are infinitely better than the stuff on YTV up here in Canada. It stuff that really makes you think after watching and keeps a happy sort of feeling as well.

On another note, I actually tried to watch an entire episode with the English dubbing at it was horrid. It felt so dry, like listening to a door knob speak. There were a few scenes in this particular series that would be a little "exposed" if you will, enough so that you wouldn't see this on regular cable or see it HEAVILY edited on satellite or higher cable packages. No actual nudity but some suggestive stuff in there. But that doesn't get in the way of the messages that each episode is trying to deliver (take not Michael Bay).

EDIT: Currently scouring torrent sites and such to see if I can get the complete series of Happy Lesson OVA, which is 5 episodes, Advance which is 13 (the one I watched also had 13, but it had a 11.5 episode, not sure how that works), and The Final which is 3 episodes.
<R.t..>^>Fusionc
X-bit Guru

Postby Akram » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:31 am

Ah well, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is available on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/show/brotherhood

Be sure to check the OSTs. They are the best i've heard in any anime i saw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8SfncLB964&feature=related
Akram
X-bit Swami

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:07 am

Currently scouring torrent sites and such to see if I can get the complete series of Happy Lesson OVA, which is 5 episodes, Advance which is 13 (the one I watched also had 13, but it had a 11.5 episode, not sure how that works), and The Final which is 3 episodes.

Bakabt that i link above seem to have it all.

If the total number of episodes match what there´s supposed to be, its usually just a matter of someone numbering them differently. A ".5" tends to be a recap ep, omake based or one that drifts away from the main story or just about anything that doesnt go along with simple numbering.

On another note, I actually tried to watch an entire episode with the English dubbing at it was horrid. It felt so dry, like listening to a door knob speak.

I think that describes it ok... No wait, i think its even worse.

Just finished watching Happy Lesson (not the OVA, Advance, or The Final series, at least, according to wikipedia) and I really enjoyed it. I didn't have any expectation of this series at all and was pleasantly surprised. In short, it's about Chitose Hitotose who lives with 5 teachers and their are his "mamas" who help him get through the school year as well as everyday stuff.

Reading the description, i found this "and a quiet secretive (possibly mad) science teacher/mother"... :mrgreen:

Unlike the crap anime that gets shipped over here in the west and onto cable (All I bloody got is Beyblade, Pokemon, Bakugan, stupid spin offs of YuGiOh, bleh)

Thats what internet is for!

I never expected that this series would delve deep into family relationships in that way, with humour and great insight....

Yes, I know, the anime that I have been enjoying lately is targeted at females, but I feel that the storylines, character development, plot, etc are infinitely better

Thats the good side of shoujo and josei, they tend to have better characters and story execution. Maybe its because they dont spend so much time on trying to create the "coolest" fights they get time over to actually make it good overall? :wink:

Anyway, you could try these out:
http://www.anime-planet.com/anime/kimi-ni-todoke Sawako is a nice girl, but creepy, so once upon a time she got the accidental nickname of Sadako (from "Ringu") because of the similarity, and things didnt go so well after that. Its a bit slowpaced but it has some really fun stuff and is surprisingly realistic most of the time.
Also has some really great characters(Ayane, Chizuru, Ume in my opinion).

http://www.anime-planet.com/anime/gokusen A josei series about a girl who becomes the teacher she wanted, despite a few snags, like ending up as a yakuza boss on the side... :mrgreen:

http://www.anime-planet.com/anime/nana Another good josei, but also very serious and realistic so might not be the best fit. Only 1 season out so far(but almost 50 episodes in that single "season") and the manga isnt finished(because the writer got ill) so its unknown if the anime will be finished.
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:26 am

Be sure to check the OSTs. They are the best i've heard in any anime i saw.

Oh yeah, i´ve gathered up quite a bunch of tunes from anime OSTs by this time.
From Nana mentioned above, Bleach, Noir, My HiME, Kurau, Bakuretsu Tenshi, Black Lagoon, Armitage, Blood+, Ghost in the Shell, MadLax and the occasional tune from many others.
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Postby <R.t..>^>Fusionc » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:28 am

Thanks, Dire, for the heads up there.
<R.t..>^>Fusionc
X-bit Guru

Postby Stupify » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:55 am

Somehow after the first set of Bleach insanity where the 3 Captain defect, Bleach to me was pretty much summarized as meh... waste of time. However the episodes before that are very much interesting.
What goes around comes around with interest!
Stupify

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:56 am

Stupify wrote:Somehow after the first set of Bleach insanity where the 3 Captain defect, Bleach to me was pretty much summarized as meh... waste of time. However the episodes before that are very much interesting.

Yup, but if you skip past ALL filler episodes and arcs, its much better.
But still yeah, up until Mr Big Bad&Co runs off is without doubt the BEST part.
Try using this:
http://www.anime-planet.com/forum/gener ... guide.html
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Postby <R.t..>^>Fusionc » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:20 pm

Managed to finish downloading Happy Lesson Advance and The Final series, although, not from BakaBT but obtained from torrernt search engines like BTJunkie.

So far so good *begins to watch episode 4.

I did also finish watching Nuku Nuku: All cultural cat girl, the OVA with the six episodes. I thought it was passable. Not much development with the characters or with the storylines.
<R.t..>^>Fusionc
X-bit Guru

Next

Return to The Lounge