AMD Phenom II X6 Temp Diodes

Forum for general hardware discussions. If you don't know, where your question belongs, it is the right place to go.

Moderators: CPUagnostic, MTX, Celt, Hammer_Time, Sauron_Daz, Tacitus, Anna

AMD Phenom II X6 Temp Diodes

Postby wizard612 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:51 pm

Guys,
I recently purchased a Phenom II X6 1055T and it appears the temp diode is calibrated incorrectly. My ASUS Probe is showing 56C under max load while CoreTemp is only showing 46C. There is an article about this on Xbit:

As for the thermal mode of our overclocked processor, it seems to remain quite acceptable. But unfortunately, we can’t claim that with all certainty, because the thermal diode in the first batch of Phenom II X6 processors appeared to be improperly calibrated. As a result, processors were reporting obviously lower temperatures. For example, as you can see on the screenshot, the CPU reported its core temperature to be no higher than 55°C (gray graph), while the mainboard diode beneath the CPU socket (yellow graph) read the CPU temp as 65°C.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/amd-phenom-ii-x6-1055t-overclocking_4.html

I am currently using the stock cooler and the CPU is at 1.33V under load. My question is, how hot should I let the ASUS Probe temp get before I start worrying? According to AMD the core temp of the X6 should not exceed 62C.
http://products.amd.com/en-us/DesktopCPUDetail.aspx?id=641&f1=&f2=&f3=&f4=&f5=&f6=&f7=&f8=&f9=&f10=&f11=&f12=

I am planning on upgrading to water soon but for now, what is the maximum I should let the ASUS CPU Temp get? Also, is the ASUS CPU Temp higher or lower than the actual core temp? On my previous ASUS AMD systems the ASUS temp and CoreTemp have always been close but ASUS was always higher indicating this is a conservative temperature. Is true? Thanks for all of your help.
wizard612

Re: AMD Phenom II X6 Temp Diodes

Postby Hammer_Time » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:28 am

Asus probe is known to give inaccurate readings. I have an Asus P5Q-E mobo and uninstalled the Asus software ( Asus Probe and Epu6 Engine ) soon after trying them out...the Asus Probe gave inaccurate readings as compared to the BIOS temps and CoreTemp/RealTemp readings , and I got much better results using the free "RealTempGT.exe" utility instead. Asus PC Probe gave the same inaccurate results that you found as well, namely 10C higher core readings on my E7200 than what both CoreTemp and RealTemp reported!! Argh...I believe Asus purposely does this ( adds 10C to actual core temps true temp ) , so that one does not fry their cpu or motherboard when extreme overclocking... if you think you are getting close to the cpu's "safe max temp" , then you still have a bit of "Breathing room" actually by 10 degrees ... kinda like how a lot of car speedometers read too high, they report 10 to 20 Km/h higher than your actual speed, which is a good thing if a police officer is following you with a radar gun... my theory about why Asus Probe reads 10C "high" could be wrong, but you never know...

The EPU6 Engine power savings utility crashed my system all the time ( back when I used XP alone ) , I was so upset with it that I never bothered to install it in Windows 7 here. I don't need it since I do my "power savings" through the BIOS ( "Speedstep" enabled, which cuts the frequency and voltage going to the cpu when system is idling ), and I have W7 put my tower into "sleep mode" after a predetermined amount of idle time...so don't need the EPU6 Engine sw and don't want it...

You can also try "RealTemp" to verify the CoreTemp readings:

http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. No good deed goes unpunished...

Hammer_Time
Rantmeister Mod

Re: AMD Phenom II X6 Temp Diodes

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:55 am

I am currently using the stock cooler and the CPU is at 1.33V under load. My question is, how hot should I let the ASUS Probe temp get before I start worrying? According to AMD the core temp of the X6 should not exceed 62C.

My guess is that the "do not exceed" temp is based on the calibration actually used.

I would also guess that the "core temp" isnt actually measuring any core directly, but rather "somewhere in the middle" to get a whole cpu measurement instead of one single core...
This has been an objective and completely impartial message from the propaganda bureau of DIREWOLF75. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.
DIREWOLF75
X-bit Goon

Location: Isthmus of Baldur (modernly known as Bollnäs), Sweden

Return to General Hardware Forum